Keeping My Chameleon Warm in The Winter?

I live down here in south Mississippi, and the temps can get up to the 100's and very humid most days. But it also gets quite chilly in the winter. There are some mornings when we wake up and the house is 50° or 55° in the morning until we turn on more heaters. I'm getting a baby male veiled at the end of the month and it's been getting colder. I was wondering if there was anything extra I could do to keep my Chameleon warm besides just a basking light, or will a basking light be enough? I've been doing as much research as possible, as I am new to this, but I'm just not sure if my room will be warm enough when it's cold.

Isn't she worried about the basking light also burning the house down?

Apparently not. Just my mother being a Karen like always. ? I mean, it took me forever to convince her that a Chameleon isn't going to "jump on her and attack her in her sleep". And I might have told her they get like 5 inches smaller than they actually are so that she would say yes. And she's making me pay for everything, I've been doing work for family members and saving for a while so by the end of the month I should have a baby veiled.

Apparently not. Just my mother being a Karen like always. ? I mean, it took me forever to convince her that a Chameleon isn't going to "him on her and attack her in her sleep". And I might have told her they get like 5 inches smaller than they actually are so that she would say yes. And she's making me pay for everything, I've been doing work for family members and saving for a while so by the end of the month I should have a baby veiled.
1 month is a bit short...

I already had $350 saved up and my grandfather pays A LOT. I can get more than $100 a week and I'm getting paid by more than just him so I should have enough by the end of the month for what I need. I've added up my costs and I'm going to save a little more than I need just in case.
Yeah, then a month still might not be enough. You'll need ~$1,000

If your parents are not fully on board then I would not get a chameleon. It is very expensive and if you need to take it to the vet that adds up. Make sure your being honest with your mother. The live insects being in her home may be something she is not willing to deal with. Lying is really not a good idea to gain the support of family.
This link covers all the basics... I would read this as most info out there is incorrect. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

If your parents are not fully on board then I would not get a chameleon. It is very expensive and if you need to take it to the vet that adds up. Make sure your being honest with your mother. The live insects being in her home may be something she is not willing to deal with. Lying is really not a good idea to gain the support of family.
This link covers all the basics... I would read this as most info out there is incorrect. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I've told them the costs, and my mother is fine with the live bugs as long as I don't get any Dubia roaches, she's just terrified of lizards. My father had reptiles growing up and said he would pay with any vet bills. But if we tell my mother how big a Veiled can get, she will probably not let me have one. My dad thinks it's funny but I'm just telling her they stay a little smaller to save my hide.

I've told them the costs, and my mother is fine with the live bugs as long as I don't get any Dubia roaches, she's just terrified of lizards. My father had reptiles growing up and said he would pay with any vet bills. But if we tell my mother how big a Veiled can get, she will probably not let me have one. My dad thinks it's funny but I'm just telling her they stay a little smaller to save my hide.
Well IMO if she is not willing to let you have a heater for your room to ensure the temps do not drop below 60 then you should not get a chameleon.
Also if you do not have air conditioning to handle summer heat that will be an issue as well. As ambient temps should not be above low 70's with basking no hotter then 85. Your saying temps are 100 in the summer. A chameleon would not handle that.

Does your dad agree with your mom about the heater being a fire hazard? Maybe use him to convince your mom.

Well IMO if she is not willing to let you have a heater for your room to ensure the temps do not drop below 60 then you should not get a chameleon.
Also if you do not have air conditioning to handle summer heat that will be an issue as well. As ambient temps should not be above low 70's with basking no hotter then 85. Your saying temps are 100 in the summer. A chameleon would not handle that.

We do have air conditioning, and we have a gas heater and a portable one, I just need to convince her to let me put it in my room. As much as I want a Chameleon, I'm not the kind of person to bring an animal into my house if I do not have everything that I need to ensure a long and healthy life for said animal. If everything doesn't work out, I will sadly not get a Chameleon as planned.

I’m 14 and I have a chameleon. It took some time to get my parents on board. As @Beman said if you can’t provide the best care then you shouldn’t get a chameleon . Just in case I stay with a friend or I leave the house I have my parents to help me out with feeding, making sure he’s okay, etc. It’s important because ultimately it’s their house and their decision. I hope you’ve done your research, their hard animals and have to have things on point.

I’m 14 and I have a chameleon. It took some time to get my parents on board. As @Beman said if you can’t provide the best care then you shouldn’t get a chameleon . Just in case I stay with a friend or I leave the house I have my parents to help me out with feeding, making sure he’s okay, etc. It’s important because ultimately it’s their house and their decision. I hope you’ve done your research, their hard animals and have to have things on point.

I'm 14 as well, my father has volunteered to help out with taking care of the Chameleon if I leave. My mother is just scared of lizards and a fire hazard. Other than that I have done research, and am continuing to do so. I am still saving up money, and I would never bring any animal into my parents house if I don't have everything I need for them.

No, he thinks she's crazy for even making me save up my own money. He 100% agrees with me. I thought about that, I just don't want them to fight, but I think that might be my only option.
I don't know them, but I don't think they will fight about it... just ask your dad to help convince your mom about the heater, and say its the only thing more you need :)

Back
Top Bottom