Keeping 2 females together?

StickyPad

Okay, as most people on the forum know, my chameleon stickypad has to have a caesarean on Friday and she basically has to be spayed...
I already have the incubator for breeding so I don't want to waste money...
I em want to buy another girl to be friends with stickypad and breed at 15 months.
Could they live together?
By the way, stickypad is placid - she isthe tamest little girl you have ever seen!

And I wouldn't be getting her until stickypad has recovered...
Pleas give advise!
I attached a picture of stickypad at the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 114
NOt a good idea.

Most chams are solitary creatures.

Eventualy they would begin to fight over food, basking spots, territory etc.

its just not a good idea.

Not to mention, you would need a HUGE cage or free range.

what if i got a larger tank? there is 3 basking spots, btw....
and I found someone who might be willing to swap a 4ft tank for mine, they need a smaller one...

I kept 2 adults panthers in a 4x2x2. had 2 basking spots both had enough food. After 3 days I put them in seperate enclosures. Reason being that one of the females took over the top of the cage and the other would stay at the bottom. I felt she was being bullied and would do better on her own. One thing you can do to save on lighting is to get a 2-4ft UVb fixture to extend over the top of both cages, plus a basking light on each cage. This way you are only taking up 3 outlets vs 4. Make sure you place a visual barrier in between them and also keep the male out of their sight

Some people have kept multiple chameleons together (males, females, or both) with success, but we're talking about them free ranging together in something much larger than a 4' cage. I did it in a spare bedroom (10' x 12'), and other people do it in something bedroom or living room sized as well, where the chameleons have enough space to have individual territories if they want them and can get out of each other's hair, with multiple basking spots and eating stations. And even then it's doesn't always work, chameleons are like people and some personalities just don't mix. A 4' cage just isn't going to be enough.

And then free ranging comes with its own set of dangers and considerations, as chameleons can injure themselves on household items, like lamps, electrical cords, and sharp objects.

So trust us, it's just easier, safer, and cheaper to get each girl their own cage. This also allows you to monitor each girl better for health issues, monitor her eating, monitor their poop, and lays your new girl have a safe, private place to lay without feeling watched by another chameleon.

but i can only afford 1 tank at the moment, and I already have 2 canopys and 2 heat mats......how about a 4 foot tank?
or should I go to our local pet shop and see how much the largest tank is?

In that case, wait until you do have more funds. Because it's going to cost you more in the long run if one of them injures the other, one dies from stress, or they both decline in health from stress and they need treatment (AND a second cage anyway).

thanks, i will ask the vet when we go on friday just in case..
I live in the uk, in britain....
if anyone knows where I could get a big tank at a knock-off price then let me know :)

Build one! I have plans for a greenhouse free range for a pair of panthers that will be going up...in the next five years. lol

I don't want to be harsh Erin but judging by your other thread you have a lot to learn about chams. Why not stick to what you already have, learn as much as you can and save up your cash for vets bills.:)

but i can only afford 1 tank at the moment, and I already have 2 canopys and 2 heat mats......

But you want to incubate and hatch the eggs? You are going to need a lot more supplies just for the babies! They will need massive amounts of food and basking and heat lamps and new enclosures. They can only be kept together for the first few months (or weeks depending on how many there are) and then will need to be separated into multiple enclosures. You'll need to save funds for that instead of getting another female. You don't need heat mats at all btw.

what if they got on well?

If multiple people are telling you not to house them together then why ask if you could have a bigger cage and every other option? What is BEST for the chams is to be ALONE!

I would highly advice listening to all the great people here on the forum. Take your time and have extra finances before taking the next steps like breeding.

Last edited:
I'm sure your vet will reiterate the same things these fine people are saying. Some of which are vets themselves. I know the feeling of wanting every Cham under the sun. It could be brightly colored, a great deal or a rare species, but in the long run you only run into problems when you spread yourself thin. If money is an issue, just wait. Look at the chams you have and not at the classifieds, boy I wish someone would have told me that. Chams can get very expensive, especially if they get sick or hurt.

Maybe you don't need heat mats in America, but in England the nights round here are 12 degrees Celsius. :)

Back
Top Bottom