Keep the chameleon or no?

Cornholio

Okay so less than a month ago I purchased a chameleon from Petco. They were having a reptile rally or whatever so the cham and his cage were 50% off so I ended up getting the chameleon and all his accessories for less than $150. He's perfectly healthy and I've been feeding him mostly mealworms and a little bit of crickets. His food has cost me an arm and a leg so far. Are there any ways that I can feed him without burning a huge hole in my wallet? My family has said that it's costing too much and that I should return it and get my moneg back. They've also said that a reptile is such an odd pet to have as we've only had dogs and cats and other warm blooded animals. They think I should get rid of it and get like a bunny or something. I happen to find that hilarious because right before I talked them into the chameleon I was aiming for a mammal lol. Any way I really enjoy the chameleon. From what I can tell, he is okay with me. I've gotten him to eat from cups and drink water directly from the spray nozzle. He seems to still be healthy and all that. I just don't know what to do. I really love the chameleon. I would feel wrong abandoning him back at the pet shop. Help.

Breed your feeders. It's what most of us here do. I breed two different kinds of roaches, isopods, silkworms, and starting to breed stick insects.

The problem is buying feeders from large stores like Petco or PetSmart. Their prices are insane.

You can go in and get 100 crickets and it's $18.00. That would break anyone's bank.

You need to order online. For 20 bucks, you can get 1000 crickets. You can also get a large variety of feeders.

yes if possible get breed or find a baitshop or something that cost less. Chameleons are not cheap. If you decide to get rid of him maybe someone on here could take him instead of giving him back to a place where he will get no proper care. where are you located?

Do you have a local reptile store? Ours has crickets for way cheaper. Also, have you thought about breeding dubias? I have heard they breed easily.

CH,

Like Andee, I also breed some of my feeders. Currently I am raising dubia and superworms. They're "super" easy to keep and saves a bit o' cash to boot. Do not return your cham. Someone here will be happy to take him if you're not able to care for him.

I only have one adult chameleon, (I know, right??? Who just has one??? :D) and have a problem with feeders getting too big or dying before he can eat them. I have found that I can buy a couple dozen crix at the pet store, and get some silk worm eggs and hatch/raise them, and get 100 superworms, and not too many die off. Breeding my own just has not worked out. Too many feeders for just one cham. If you have someone nearby that you could share the expense and feeders with it could work out.

The problem is buying feeders from large stores like Petco or PetSmart. Their prices are insane.

You can go in and get 100 crickets and it's $18.00. That would break anyone's bank.

You need to order online. For 20 bucks, you can get 1000 crickets. You can also get a large variety of feeders.
Do you have any websites you buy from?

Oh and I've done some really hard thinking since posting this and I just love him too much to give him up. I already knew what I was getting into when I got him and I honestly have no regrets over him! Just some good websites to buy bugs from would be great!

CH,

Like Andee, I also breed some of my feeders. Currently I am raising dubia and superworms. They're "super" easy to keep and saves a bit o' cash to boot. Do not return your cham. Someone here will be happy to take him if you're not able to care for him.
Where did you get your Dubias from? Which are less... gross? Not for me, just when I go away on vacation I will have family taking care of him and most of my relatives are babies when it comes to bugs (luckily, I never was :p). Which are healthier for the chameleons? Someone on cragislist in my area is selling dubias... Should I get the bugs from them?

CH,

Yes, craig's is just fine. Gut load and go from there. Dubias are a good choice if your cham will eat them. Variety in your feeders is key. Change it up to give him the variety and nutrition that he needs. Currently, I feed crix, supers, dubia and for a treat, hornworms.

I like to get my crickets on E-bay. You can get 500 for $15. It just goes up incrementally from there.

But like the others have said, variety is the best. There are so many roach species to keep, blue bottle flies, mantids, phasmids, grasshoppers, katydids, moths, butterflies, crickets, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, etc. The list is quite extensive.

There are many ways to avoid the costs that are associated with feeders. But, when you do spend money, make sure it is from a reputable site/breeder. One group of tainted feeders can spell disaster.

Oh and I've done some really hard thinking since posting this and I just love him too much to give him up. I already knew what I was getting into when I got him and I honestly have no regrets over him! Just some good websites to buy bugs from would be great!
Now that you have decided to keep your little guy, you suggest you provide some pictures of your set up and a list of the equipment and the supplements that you dust your feeders with so that the experienced members on here can give you some valuable advice to make sure that you will have your little guy for a long long time.

Good luck to you and your little guy!

Chams are expensive. Without a doubt. If he gets sick, your people are gonna freak out. If that happens and you have to let him go, pls dont let him die. Im going to give you my phone number. Ill take him if things get bad and he must go to a vet. Be careful and follow everybodys advice to keep him healthy: lights,food,plants,suppliments, humidity...there is a lot to it.

Dubia are less disgusting to me. They don't jump or bite. They kind of just sit there. They also don't smell unless you have old food or a mass die off. Males are more skittish, but females and nymphs are easy to deal with. I also think the males are beautiful the other two are cute.

:eek: 18.00$ for 100... After screwing you like that does Petco/Petsmart at least buy you breakfast?
--

I'm breeding dubia's because they are easy, make no noise, don't escape and don't smell.
Only problem with that is that after my acanthurusses die I don't have any reptile large enough to feed the adults to. :oops:

I used to breed grasshoppers but that takes a lot of work compared to dubia roaches since they do best if you feed them fresh grass every day.
They also need a light in their enclosure and more space compared to dubia's. They do smell if the humidity gets to high, they are more fragile, less nutritious and the nymphs are very good at escaping.

No way in hell that I will breed crickets... Crickets are the worst part of keeping reptiles!
They are good at escaping, no matter how well you seal stuff, they make a lot of noise and will find a spot where you can't catch them and they smell too... I keep wishing for that day my cham will start to like dubia roaches!

I breed my own dubia and orange heads, I bought 50 off ebay and now have so many , more than I can use- If you breed and they get too big sell them as large dubia on ebay and get some money back to buy the livefoods you can't breed. If you keep them in a RUB with egg boxes, wipe the floor regularly and keep them clean they don't smell and are great.
I also raise my own silkworms now- a bit of cost to begin with but much much cheaper to grow them yourself. I also raise stick insects, fruit flies and mice for my snakes too.
Buy bulk crickets etc but set yourself up with good facilities first- 2 easy to clean cages so that you can transfer them into a clean one whilst you clean the other out, and keep them clean, healthy and well fed and they will last a lot longer, I also buy small livefoods and grow them on- you get a lot more for your money buying small and keeping and feeding them up , they dont take long to grow to adult,
Buy a 99p of turnip seed,alfalfa and mesclun ( a mix of leafy mustard greens ) from ebay- sow them in a flower pot on your kitchen window sill and they will give you top quality gutloading veg for ages. It requires a bit of work, true , but set up properly in the beginning and it makes things easier but true, I still have to buy in livefoods and it does add up. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom