Just put an exo terra waterfall in with cammie!

I kept it clean, ended up having to clean it too much because of insects and excreta getting in there, so I chose to junk it.
If it is carefully placed, so insects have a hard time getting in, and chams have chosen a separate toilet site already - it can be done, with a close eye on it and total cleanliness......
As I said, not worth the effort in my opinion, but not as fatal as some would have you believe, mate :)

Agree completely. The mere presence of a waterfall isn't the problem most of the time, its the chronic chore of keeping it clean on the off chance a cham might be so thirsty it drinks out of the bacteria soup.

There's no way I would want to disrupt my cage plants or branch networks just to inspect, remove, scrub, disinfect, replace, and re-arrange the cage setup to service a waterfall every day!

Consider this...if you like the sound and sight of a little bit of running water why not put a decorative fountain outside the cham cage for your own enjoyment?
The cham can't hear it (well, maybe the low frequency vibration of the pump).
If the fountain isn't placed just right the water won't attract the cham's attention (its light on the moving water surface making a shiny reflection that does it).
The fountain won't raise the cage humidity much...at least not as efficiently as hand misting will.
Your cham will prefer going after droplets on foliage to drink. A desperately thirsty cham with no other options may climb down to the "ground" to lick water out of a pool.

and chams have chosen a separate toilet site already - it can be done, with a close eye on it and total cleanliness......
As I said, not worth the effort in my opinion, but not as fatal as some would have you believe, mate :)

I don't know about you, but I know for sure that my chameleon doesn't go to the bathroom in the same spot every time they go.. We are trying to point out the flaws of having a waterfall, but it seems like you are giving him ammunition to keep the waterfall in there. There are MANY chameleon keepers on these forums that can agree that a waterfall/dish is a bad idea when it comes to chameleons. There are cases where the chameleon has died from drowning in the water bowl. It happens. There are numerous other medical problems that it can cause. the dead insects feces will be in there and that one certain insect my carry a small parasite that your chameleon goes down and drinks that dirty bacteria filled soup and pics up that parasite and now it's a big vet bill. It's all common sence. Don't do what you want with your chameleons cage just because it looks neat, you might be endangering its life..

I don't know about you, but I know for sure that my chameleon doesn't go to the bathroom in the same spot every time they go.. We are trying to point out the flaws of having a waterfall, but it seems like you are giving him ammunition to keep the waterfall in there. There are MANY chameleon keepers on these forums that can agree that a waterfall/dish is a bad idea when it comes to chameleons. There are cases where the chameleon has died from drowning in the water bowl. It happens. There are numerous other medical problems that it can cause. the dead insects feces will be in there and that one certain insect my carry a small parasite that your chameleon goes down and drinks that dirty bacteria filled soup and pics up that parasite and now it's a big vet bill. It's all common sence. Don't do what you want with your chameleons cage just because it looks neat, you might be endangering its life..
I was not intending to give ammunition to anyone, I'm basically a pacifist, lol.
This is a forum and different viewpoints will be expressed - we don't want everyone to keep chams the same, in a sterile environment now do we?
Also, read all my posts on this thread - do you think I am pro- or anti- waterfall? I am also trying, in my own way, to persuade anyone reading that it isn't worth the effort, so I'll say again:
Waterfalls can be safe - it takes a lot of hard work though, and a dripper will do the same job, probably much better.......
My chams do go to toilet in nearly the same spot every day - as do quite a few others if the many people on this forum are anything to go by :)

It lasted a week lol

He kept pooing in it lmao

OMG... what a suprize!! :confused:

so for a week you had a bacteria soup cooking just for your cham to drink..hopefully in that week your cham drank from a dripper or from misting..

that week could have caused issues down the road..

next time, just take the advice..we really arent ganging up on anyone..its just the fact that we have all gone the hard way, and now know the best possible set ups for these animals..

Actually they can look quite cool. I had one years ago with my first Cham. Looked real nice for a bit, :rolleyes:

He will probably drink from it, until he decides to poop in it, crickets/other feeders drown in it, any filter gets blocked. After a couple of months having one it got slimy within a day after cleaning with boiling water. It will waste so much of your time, and still be useless for drinking from soon (or worse if he continues to drink from it when its just a filthy bacterial soup). The smartest way is to get a dripper and mist leaves enough - it really is so much easier.
Even if there is a way to make totally sure of clean running water in a waterfall, a dripper will do the same job for you

What about it not pooping in the waterfall..mine doesn't and crickets don't go in the cage at all..then is it still bad?

Back
Top Bottom