Just put an exo terra waterfall in with cammie!

i want a picture!! I hear that Chameleons are often found near running water. So I'm not sure what all that means.. I think he just freaked out a little.. LIke what the heck are you trying to drown me.. UNless its that new Exo Terra 20-55 gallon full tank eco system.. That thing is awesome.. The guy was like yoou can even put Chameleons in it.. But its like for water turtles and frogs.. But they're probably ways..

Thought I would post up quick smart, as I have just put a waterfall in with my chameleon.

He is now standing on a branch, rocking the whole vine/tree with his body. I thought maybe it was the vibrations from the pump within the waterfall. I have now turned it off as it worried me, but he has continued to rock back and fourth.

I opened up his enclosure and he came running out. :eek: Would it be the waterfall or just a freak coincidence??

I'd say lose the waterfall as it can cause bacteria/mold buildup, they wont use it anyway, and there is always the tiny chance that they can drown in it.

even if you are going to keep it, I really hope you do not rely on it as his water source as your chameleon will not. you still need a dripper and to mist him regularly.... as someone else said, there is a difference between DRIPPING water and a FLOWING waterfall. He might use the waterfall to drink....if he is thirsty because you are not supplying him with water via misting/dripper....but as long as he is supplied enough drinking water by means of dripping, he will not resort to a waterfall for drinking.

I can speak from personal experience on the chameleon drowning issue :( NEVER standing water or any kind of pool!

Will keep it for now, as I like it!

I think you're kinda missing the point. It isn't about what you like, it's about what is best for the life you've taken responsibility for. People here with experience are giving you advice on that life.

The waterfalls look lovely, but if you want to keep it, you must give it a good clean daily. There are big risks involved with waterfalls but if you're willing to put in much more time per day, you can have a more beautiful vivarium.

Get rid of it or someone will be sent to remove it.
I can see the next post.....Help! "Something is wrong with my chameleon"

I can speak from personal experience on the chameleon drowning issue :( NEVER standing water or any kind of pool!
Well, that's your rule but I always keep a shallow bowl and never had any problem.......2 out of three Chameleons I've kept seem to prefer the bowl to drinking when misting or even a dripper..........there are many ways to keep Chameleons but this one is mine........I'm sure a properly filtered and cleaned waterfall could be achieved as well, I just can't be bothered with all the effort and expense it would take........

Read all of the above and I still see no 'evidence' of them being bad for my chameleon.... :confused:

Will keep it for now, as I like it!

UGG.. i always find it very sad when you get people like this.people give you the info an yet you know better cause YOU LIKE IT. sad just sad. that evidence you seek? wait awhile youll have your own evidence. I can see that help whats wrong with my cham thread comin to chuck. im bettin there wont be alot of help on that thread.

isnt the point to try and mimic their natural environment as much as possible? chams are arboreal creatures, and i havent seen too many waterfalls in trees

hard headed people like to find out for themselfs..chams drink from rain water in the trees they live in..most chams are usually about 3 to 10 feet high..and hate to say it..but madagasgar isint filled with waterfalls at every turn..but it is wet most of the time..thus why chameleons have adapted overtime to drink in the morning when the mist turns into droplets on leaves..

personally i like the waterfall idea...just the idea...because they harbour soo many bad things..i dont use them..

put it this way..say you have a child..should he wear a helmet or not??

everyone says yes, but you think he looks "cooler" without the helmet...

i just dont want to hear it when lil johnny gets brain damage..

one more experienced keeper here saying ditch the waterfoul. Cause thats whats going to happen. Your gonna have a stinky smelly nasty bowl of moving water in the cage. Unless you plan on standing by the cage and catching every dump your cham takes & catching every feeder that falls in. Take the advice given by much more experienced keepers. Its free advice at that, your not spending thousands as some of us have to learn all the knowledge we've aquired. ;)

I love veiledchams signature! It is true, your ignorance will kill your chameleon if you don't try to keep it healthy. There was a point and time where I was just like you and then I finally gave up and listened and it was the best thing that I have done with chameleon keeping. simply pull your head out of you a$$ and do whats right for your chameleon. I can attest to the drinking out of a bowl never worked with my chameleon, just got really dirty and a bunch of feces in it.. Please open your eye and do whats right for the little guy.

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was a joke, should have been posted on April 1st. Anyone who has spent even a short amount of time in this forum, knows better, but I was even more surprised when I found out it was real. I don't understand why you would come to this forum, which is extremely blessed with so many caring and knowledgable members and then, not listen to them. Some of the advice is not always so black and white, but on this one it is. May I recommend a frog enclosure, that is what I did with many of the expensive items that I bought for my chams and then discovers that they were not appropriate, i.e. My fountain, mister and exoterra terrarium. Good luck to you and your chameleon what ever you choose to do.

I love veiledchams signature! It is true, your ignorance will kill your chameleon if you don't try to keep it healthy. There was a point and time where I was just like you and then I finally gave up and listened and it was the best thing that I have done with chameleon keeping. simply pull your head out of you a$$ and do whats right for your chameleon. I can attest to the drinking out of a bowl never worked with my chameleon, just got really dirty and a bunch of feces in it.. Please open your eye and do whats right for the little guy.

Surprising how stubborn people are.. specially when they clearly know nothing about proper care.

hard headed people like to find out for themselfs..chams drink from rain water in the trees they live in..most chams are usually about 3 to 10 feet high..and hate to say it..but madagasgar isint filled with waterfalls at every turn..but it is wet most of the time..thus why chameleons have adapted overtime to drink in the morning when the mist turns into droplets on leaves..

personally i like the waterfall idea...just the idea...because they harbour soo many bad things..i dont use them..

put it this way..say you have a child..should he wear a helmet or not??

everyone says yes, but you think he looks "cooler" without the helmet...

i just dont want to hear it when lil johnny gets brain damage..
All good points, and we do all want to do our best for our Chameleonic charges, and for lil Johnny too, lol
Having a waterfall is not a death sentence though, nor is not wearing a cycle helmet (I know I rarely bothered with one, and I lived so far.....). Not a bad analogy at all I think - do you wear your helmet every time?;)

Surprising how stubborn people are.. specially when they clearly know nothing about proper care.
Alright then gang, what's the third thing that will kill your Chameleon?
I like the sig too, but I also detect a little arrogance in some posts on the thread.........

Just pointing the obvious.
I'm always learning here. In fact, I've been reading for the past 2 weeks on proper panther care and acclimation for when I get some imports. As Chameleonrave said, you gotta pull your head out of your a$$ and take the advice you get.

Anyways, the thread isn't about that. It's about the waterfall in a cage.

Just pointing the obvious.
I'm always learning here. In fact, I've been reading for the past 2 weeks on proper panther care and acclimation for when I get some imports. As Chameleonrave said, you gotta pull your head out of your a$$ and take the advice you get.

Anyways, the thread isn't about that. It's about the waterfall in a cage.
Pointing the 'obvious' (to you and anyone who takes the forum standard as Gospel.....)
As for the waterfall - I had one years ago, before there even was a forum. I kept it clean, ended up having to clean it too much because of insects and excreta getting in there, so I chose to junk it.
If it is carefully placed, so insects have a hard time getting in, and chams have chosen a separate toilet site already - it can be done, with a close eye on it and total cleanliness......
As I said, not worth the effort in my opinion, but not as fatal as some would have you believe, mate :)

I think thats the main problem David. People get sick and tired of cleaning them on a daily or every other day basis and unlike you they wont take it out of the cage. Why? Thats a good question, some are stubborn and wont admit theyve wasted 50 bux and some just have to have a waterfall in their tropical vivarium to complete the design they were shooting for. Personally, I think a 12" waterfall isnt really a waterfall at all its like an overflow filter for a fish tank exposed in your cage. Jmpo....

I think thats the main problem David. People get sick and tired of cleaning them on a daily or every other day basis and unlike you they wont take it out of the cage. Why? Thats a good question, some are stubborn and wont admit theyve wasted 50 bux and some just have to have a waterfall in their tropical vivarium to complete the design they were shooting for. Personally, I think a 12" waterfall isnt really a waterfall at all its like an overflow filter for a fish tank exposed in your cage. Jmpo....
Well, I agree with all that, I'm just saying it's a bit off to assume that the op won't be diligent enough.
He might even do what I did, and decide it's not worth all the cleaning, but from here (on the internet!) all we can do is advise.

Recent psychological studies indicate that people stop listening to you if they think you are attacking them.....:)

i want a picture!! I hear that Chameleons are often found near running water. So I'm not sure what all that means..

What this statement meant was, chams are often found in trees and shrubs near running water.

More insect prey would naturally be found near water,
the air humidity is higher near water,
It may be cooler at night near water,
Streams and rivers often create forest canopy openings for basking
habitat tends to be more bushy and sheltered near water

Back
Top Bottom