just thought this was funny

bruce the cham

Avid Member
whenever i show my veiled chameleon bruce food he liks his lips like hes thinking mmmmmm yumy bug just thought it was a funny small think also he climb down to the bottom of the cage today and yesterday to the bamboo and drank the standing water out of the pot luckily ther is rocks covering the dirt but still?

ive never seen a Cham lick their lips, lol! I bet it is cute! I don’t know about him going down and drinking standing water. That wouldn’t be good I wouldn’t think.

You said he "drank the standing water out of the pot"...and yet it's still said that chameleons don't recognize standing water and only drink from leaves/droplets.

I don’t think it’s so much as they don’t recognize it. More so that behavior should not be happening in a perfect “healthy” world. I believe some are just more capable of lasting longer on wits then survival instinct.

I'm sure they recognize standing water... but many people say (wrongly) that they don't. Although licking water off leaves would likely be healthier, I doubt it would stop them from drinking from a puddle if they were thirsty.

I don’t think it’s so much as they don’t recognize it. More so that behavior should not be happening in a perfect “healthy” world. I believe some are just more capable of lasting longer on wits then survival instinct.
That’s insinuating that chameleons understand bacteria presence and the impact of bacteria on their bodies, something the brightest humans only discovered relatively recently. They would not have the intelligence to even come close to realizing drinking a type of water could lead to bad outcomes in the future.

My bet is that they could drink some pretty filthy water and not get sick(They eat bugs that land on rotten corpses!). Not that I’d ever condone that… Sure there’s different types of bacteria and some animals are more susceptible. Or some types of bacteria that are completely safe in one area of the body, but can wreak havoc in other areas. It’s complicated, and chances are drinking from standing water wouldn’t be a death sentence, especially if it wasn’t noticeably funky, but it is an avoidable risk that I’m all for. I just like to see real info put out there rather than elementary feelings on things(not saying this is anyone in particular, but we all do it from time to time).

It you were thirsty and the only water around was a puddle? If it doesn't rain in the wild and all they drank was dew on the leaves then they would only drink in the morning. Are you misting enough?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom