Just a few questions

rmatheny

Hi All, Its been a while. My female veiled is doing well, her name is bug by the way...

I just have a few questions for ya'll...
Considering I live in southern california I put her outside everyday to enjoy the natural sunlight but my ficus seems to be suffering from the constant heat. Any suggestions on another live plant I can try that might handle the outside heat very well. It's funny, when i go to bring her back inside she gets so mad... gets all dark and hisses. She is a very calm veiled so its funny to see her get so irritated.

lets see, what else... oh yah, she is about 5 or 6 months old now and I think I may have asked before but cant find my thread, i was looking for some info on her whole egg laying business... trust me, had I known that i had to deal with that when i got her I would have chosen a male, my fault. Anyways... I dont ever find her at the bottom of her cage, and have seen no digging in the soil but will they ALWAYS do these things when they are getting ready to lay some eggs? does anyone have any pictures of a female veiled full of eggs? Should I put the egg-laying bin in there now just in case?

and one more thing, i feed her about 10 dusted crickets a day, is that enough? sometimes she will eat 1 or 2 super worms but hardly ever.

Thanks ALL!!!! :p

i've heard that when a ficus is moved to a different area they drop their leafs and grow new ones that can handle the new conditions, maybe being constantly moved may be bad for the ficus. A good plant might be hibiscus.

chrisw...that's my article and Ed's...and its in the process of being updated. The whole site is in the process of being updated.

very interesting stuff - and great site overall especially when it comes to individual species info. should i not have posted it as a reference? couldn't tell from your post if you were happy that i referenced it or upset that i referenced it. hopefully, this was ok.

...Any suggestions on another live plant I can try that might handle the outside heat very well...
Howdy Renae,
I've had great luck with Schefflera (Umbrella Plant). They are usually relatively inexpensive and often found at Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart. Just be sure to wash them with soapy water and re-pot to make sure that there is no insecticide residue etc.

chrisw said..."very interesting stuff - and great site overall especially when it comes to individual species info. should i not have posted it as a reference?"...it was fine to post the reference!

You said..."couldn't tell from your post if you were happy that i referenced it or upset that i referenced it. hopefully, this was ok."...it was no problem! Sorry if I sounded like it was. Its hard to be expressive with emails!

I hope once the site is completely "revamped" it will be even better! Lots of people spent a lot of time getting in up and running in the first place...and lots of people are working on it now. It just takes a lot of time! I play a very small part in it all. If you look on this page you will see who the founders are and who deserve credit!
http://adcham.com/html/contact.html

Last edited:
Glad to hear it is getting an upgrade. i found the site a long time ago and you always find links to it anytime you are browsing for cham info - did look like it was a bit out dated. This is a good place to let people know that it is ready for them to take another look! I'm a long time (really long) cham owner but first time to a forum so I'm never quite sure of the etiquette when referencing other people's sites - glad I wasn't out of line!

Bought my first pair of Jacksons at a local reptile show about 15 years ago. Have owned veileds and carpets but currently own two male panthers (Ambilobe and Nosy Be'). Over the years I've owned Uromastyx, small monitors, lacertas, many varieties of geckos, basilisks and others. Have bred monitors, basilisks, chameleons and hatched out some box turtle eggs I found once - little bit of everything - all for fun - not a breeder. Sorry, rambled on there a little! What do you own these days?

I got my first chameleon in the mid 80's...male Senegal. Hatched my first chameleon eggs in 1995 (C. chamaeleons).

Right now, I have chameleons, geckos, coneheads, cordylus lizards, turtles/tortoises, prehensile-tailed anole and more. I used to have a lot more but have cut down in the last while.

I've hatched chameleons, water dragons, coneheads, 3-toed boxies, snapping turtles, several species of geckos, etc. There have a few species that have had live-born babies here too.

I still have so much to learn.
Enough rambling from me now too!

Wow - good variety of stuff. Might be a fun thread to start just to see what types of animals folks have bred! Probably been done though

Back
Top Bottom