Jalepenos

Hilikus311

Okay, i was wondering cuz i couldn't find anything w/ the search option, if jalepenos (the plant) is okay to have in your enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading about plants that the tobacco worm (hornworm) eats, and on the list was pepper plants. I didn't find any real scientific data, but it was enough so that I'd never use pepper plants for gutloading or in any enclosures.

I THINK they are similar to tomato plants in toxicity. I really can't find anything on them either, but I'd say don't use them.

1 more question

aight i guess i won't be putting it in there then. OKay one more question. bout how much does it cost to check my cham at the vet? just a routine checkup as far as MBD and the like? any guess-timates?

Try this out, have you ever cut fresh jalepeno peppers? After grabbing a couple with your bare hands, the oils they secrete begin to stick to you and within 20 minutes or so, you palms will begin to feel like there on fire. Now just think if your cham were crawling all around those, it would be serious torture.

Try this out, have you ever cut fresh jalepeno peppers? After grabbing a couple with your bare hands, the oils they secrete begin to stick to you and within 20 minutes or so, you palms will begin to feel like there on fire. Now just think if your cham were crawling all around those, it would be serious torture.

yeah i know what you mean. don't worry i'm not going to be placing it in the cage tiz why i asked.

I don't have an answer to you when it comes to vets though because I have not had to take my cham yet, which is a relief. I just got him though so I plan on taking him to get a routine check within the next couple of weeks.

If you take good care of your chameleon there will be no need for a vet visit. I've been keeping reptiles/amphibians for about 15 years and I've never had to take any to the vet, and not because I don't want to, but because I've just never had to.

Proper lighting, supplementing, food variety, hydration/water quality, and cage layout will ensure a happy, healthy cham.

To answer your question though, x-rays are roughly 50$, fecals are roughly 25$, and I think that's all you'd get. That's on the low end. Some vets charge double, triple, and quadruple that so it is hard to give a true estimate.

As a preventative measure for parasites (almost all captive reptiles will have parasites, despite people's best efforts to keep their cages clean....crickets often have pinworms) you can use a WEAK dose of Panacur/fenbendazol once every 6-8 months. It is safe and will keep your chameleon free of parasites.

As a preventative measure for parasites (almost all captive reptiles will have parasites, despite people's best efforts to keep their cages clean....crickets often have pinworms) you can use a WEAK dose of Panacur/fenbendazol once every 6-8 months. It is safe and will keep your chameleon free of parasites.

hmmm
nice to know, but how do you administer such a product to a chameleon that is made for dogs and to be put in the dog's meal?

would something like reptaid be able to help with pinworms in the same way as Panacur?
http://www.chameleonsnorthwest.com/reptaid4.htm

Harry

I don't mean to come down on you BUT,

First off,
I would be more worried about the strength of the branches on a pepper plant and also their high light requirement. (would last a couple days inside)
Second: I don't agree on not having to go to a vet with your chameleons. My vet doesn't over charge me with my chameleons. I have never paid more than 40-60 bux in one visit, but this will vary from vet to vet. If you don't plan on taking your cham to a vet, the very least you need to do is get a fecal done. Shotgunning panacur is NOT the answer, and I would NEVER recommend just "giving a weak dose" of panacur to an animal every 6-8 months. Panacur will only work with certain parasites and say you get a case of coccidia, it will do nothing.

Good Luck,

Todd

Back
Top Bottom