cham enclusure

here is my chams enclosure its not the best pic cuz im on a computer but i am open to suggestions on how to make it any better thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20231224_194550.jpg
    IMG_20231224_194550.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 20
Is it all glass or a hybrid is their some ventilation they will develop RI from stagnant air.

Hi and welcome. Seeing already some good things. Unfortunately, also some things that give troubles. The top is glass and uvb can’t penetrate glass, your needs uvb.

This a good informational site for the starting https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
I completely agree, also with the top being glass as well the chameleon would get no ventilation. I believe most on this forum would recommend at least only 2 sides of the cage to be covered. Chameleons especially require a lot of ventilation, stagnant air collects bacteria from the humidity and it multiplies while stagnant infecting the cage.

I completely agree, also with the top being glass as well the chameleon would get no ventilation. I believe most on this forum would recommend at least only 2 sides of the cage to be covered. Chameleons especially require a lot of ventilation, stagnant air collects bacteria from the humidity and it multiplies while stagnant infecting the cage.
First we need to collect info from the original poster. This image is really hard to make out the details of the cage. And a fully hybrid enclosure is perfectly fine if the ventilation is done correctly. Most of use run full hybrid enclosures.

here is my chams enclosure its not the best pic cuz im on a computer but i am open to suggestions on how to make it any better thanks!
Hey there welcome to the forum. @Sonny13 already gave you great resources with accurate info to learn from. Can you post some additional pics of the entire enclosure from the lighting down? We need to be able to see the materials and how you structured it with the lighting. :)

First we need to collect info from the original poster. This image is really hard to make out the details of the cage. And a fully hybrid enclosure is perfectly fine if the ventilation is done correctly. Most of use run full hybrid enclosures.
I agree that’s why I originally asked if it was hybrid or just glass. We haven’t received a reply yet. I was just throwing out until we get informed but fully glass cage that is not a hybrid will certainly cause a RI if there isn’t enough ventilation.

I agree that’s why I originally asked if it was hybrid or just glass. We haven’t received a reply yet. I was just throwing out until we get informed but fully glass cage that is not a hybrid will certainly cause a RI if there isn’t enough ventilation.
the cage is glass with a screen front and yes i will get more (better) pics it was originally a fish tank

like i said i'm on a computer so i cant get excellent pics but here's the best i can do

Attachments

• IMG_20231225_200734.jpg
    IMG_20231225_200734.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20231225_200705.jpg
    IMG_20231225_200705.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20231225_200649.jpg
    IMG_20231225_200649.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20231225_200632.jpg
    IMG_20231225_200632.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 17
like i said i'm on a computer so i cant get excellent pics but here's the best i can do
It could work I’m not as experienced as others about husbandry but glass does eliminate uvb I learned that from @Beman so maybe not the most ideal but I’m not completely sure I’ll leave it up to the others to throw in some of their support and what they think.

It could work I’m not as experienced as others about husbandry but glass does eliminate uvb I learned that from @Beman so maybe not the most ideal but I’m not completely sure I’ll leave it up to the others to throw in some of their support and what they think.
i have it to where i can hang the light in front of the screen

If your continuing the diy I would remove the glass from the top of the enclosure and buy some screen just like the front of the cage from Lowe’s or Home Depot to put over the top and measure it /install it and set a plan somehow to make that happen so it is secured to the cage correctly. That would eliminate the problem with the top being glass. Idk how you would go about that but with the top and front open it should be enough ventilation but humidity will retain for longer than other cages if you use this since you don’t have access to open the other 3 sides so be sure to let it fully dry out between misting and clean the cage often.

If your continuing the diy I would remove the glass from the top of the enclosure and buy some screen just like the front of the cage from Lowe’s or Home Depot to put over the top and measure it /install it and set a plan somehow to make that happen so it is secured to the cage correctly. That would eliminate the problem with the top being glass. Idk how you would go about that but with the top and front open it should be enough ventilation but humidity will retain for longer than other cages if you use this since you don’t have access to open the other 3 sides so be sure to let it fully dry out between misting and clean the cage often.
i cant my parents say its fine how it is so idk

Your cham needs uvb from above, not from the side that will confuse them. Uvb is essential to keep your cham healthy and alive, glass will filter out the uvb. I also suggest making the top from screen. Or maybe considering another reptile, except a chameleon. There’re tons of reptiles where this enclosure is suitable for, chameleons are the most expensive, delicate and fragile ones. I don’t mean this in bad way, but you‘ll eventually not be disappointed and a cham doesn’t need to suffer. The enclosure you made is really great and effort has been put into it that we can see, but this way it doesn’t suit a chameleon. And I don’t know its dimensions, by the look it’s always smaller then 2x2x4 and i.e. a veiled chameleon will outgrow this enclosure within a few months.

As mentioned the cage will not work for a chameleon. Light needs to come from above and with the glass it cuts all uvb. Which in turn means the cham will start to decline and develop MBD. Start reading this entire husbandry program it will teach you step by step what you need to set up for the chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Ask all your questions here.

What kind of chameleon do you have? How old? Do you have any pics of it?

female veiled about a year and a half and yes
So you will want to rework the cage set up for her. For a female not getting the right UVB lighting is dangerous because they lay infertile eggs like chickens do. Without the correct UVB, supplements, correct temps, feeding and lay bin you can run into issues of egg binding. This then can lead to death. If you have not read through this husbandry program I highly recommend you do so and then ask questions here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom