Jacksons or veiled?

Joann

Are they similiar in care? I am going to do some more research but really like the Jacksons and might go with that instead of a veiled. Which are the hardier animal?

No they are starter chameleons. The jacksons is a montane species and needs cooler more humid set up instead of using a mister most keepers use cool mist humidifiers. Veileds are on the other side of the spectrum and a warmer less humidid set up. I would suggest getting a Trioceros sternfeldi or a Rudis Chameleon they are the best.

No, they're not similar in care: Jacksons are a montane species ( cooler temps), calyptratus live in hotter dryer environment. Veileds will tolerate a wider temperature range and somewhat less humidity. I believe a higher percentage of Jacksons are more mellow with regards to their human keeper.
Keep doing your homework before deciding which is best for the environment you can provide.
Check out the Resources tab at the top of this page.

I would highly recommend you read about them. There are several pieces of literature that will give you everything you need. It is a learning experience with them both. I have both Jacksons and Veilds along with different Panthers. My own personal favorite is the Jacksons. In my opinion and this is strictly opinion only the Jacksons are more temperamental with handling and such. My male Jacksons will walk up to me when I open the enclosure and want to hang out. He loves it when I wear a hat and will hang out up there all day long.

I've kept both Jacksons and Veileds; Jacksons are my favorite….but i do not consider them a starter cham. Montane species require extra care, vs Veileds that are more tolerant of not only wide temperature ranges, but supplementation; montanes have slower metabolisms are very sensitive to supplementation.

My first few chams were Jacksons 20 years ago and i could never get one to live longer than a year. I gave up and kept Veileds until recently, as i perfected my cham keeping techniques and the Veileds live 5-7 years. My current Jacksons is two years old, and the key is correct supplementation, natural UV exposure whenever the weather permits, cool temps…and lots of water!

I highly recommend a veilded for a first cham. They're the cheapest and easiest of the 3 commonly kept species.

Back
Top Bottom