Jacksons chameleon

How different is Jackson chameleon care to other chameleon like panther. I heard they need quite high humidity, how is this achieved with a mesh encolsure. Thanks

Hello! I'd be very happy to help you! Jackson's require lower temps during the day than a panther or veiled would need and most importantly they require a pretty big night time drop.
My jackson is kept at 76-62 degrees (ambient) during the day with 50% humidity and then at night his temps are between 61-65 degrees with 80-100% humidity. The night time drop is vital so most people that keep a Jacksons have a window AC in the room they are in to maintain those low temps (myself included).

I am able to maintain humidity levels by wrapping 3 sides of my screen enclosure with corrugated plastic. I mist at 7:30 am before lights come on, and again at 10:00 at night. My fog machine runs from 12 am to 6 am 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. This way I am able to maintain the humidity levels they require for proper hydration at night. Keep in mind that I live in a hot, dry state and that depending on where you live, your schedule to maintain the appropriate humidity levels may look different from mine.

The supplements that I use is a plain calcium (phosphorus free) with out vitamin d3 on every feeding and then the first day of each month I use the Repashy LoD which is a multivitamin and d3 supplement in 1.

What other questions do you have?

Thanks, whats the basking temp, and is the encolsure size the same as panthers. Thanks
Basking temp is 80-85 but I never let mine go above 83. I’m actually currently working on lowering mine so I’ve been making adjustments the last few days. The goal is 80 at basking. Jackson’s are a montane species and if too hot they can get heat stress and quickly die.

Enclosure size is the same as panthers, minimum enclosure size is 2’2’4’. If you can go bigger than that though, do :)

I wouldn't do it. Keep looking. I'm actually looking for a female Jackson's Xanth myself. If I find a reputable breeder I'll let you know!
I live in the UK, not sure where your based lol. The jacksons temp requirements are practically perfect, cause in winter it bes quite cold indoors at night, even during the day. As well as humidity generally being higher as well.

Back
Top Bottom