Is This The Biggest Flexarium Ever =P

Danny200

I have just had custom made a Flexarium for me the same way Exo-tera makes theres to my own size lol

my Flexarium is 8ft tall and 6ft wide so its like 8FT-6FT-6FT

it is realy big and i can walk into it like a room and even jump and still not hit the cealing :p bt then again im only 5ft 6 lol anyways i want to keep 1 male and 1 female Veild Chameleon on it is it big enough for it? or tall small?

could you post some pictures? I'm not sure if you are supposed to put them in the same area, but as long as they have their own basking spot/eating spot/sleeping spot/etc. i am sure it could work. I'd wait for someone else to chime in though

http://lllreptile.com/load-image/StoreInventoryImage/image/57

i not got a camera but that is the exact same pic that my flexarium looks like cus my aunt used that image from that website to make it she got the materials and made it only prob though... it has nothing in it yet... its huge i mean... i dont know what or how many plants to stick in it... 8ft tall 6ft long wow could make it into a jungle i dont know but any ideas would be good

Will you be able to provide enough water without making a swimming pool in you room?

What's interesting to me is that while you might be successful housing a pair in an enclosure this size, it is highly impractical.
You could house nine animals separately in the same amount of space and be afforded the comfort of knowing they were all safe.
Even in an enclosure this size, one won't be able to distance itself from the other as effectively as it could in it's natural environment.

-Brad

Some people can't escape their anthropomorphic desires and NEED to have two animals together so that they won't be "lonely" no matter what.

the reason for the huge size is i realy h8 small cages i think the smaller the cage the worse it is for the reptile... i prefer big huge cages that way they got room to litarly run away from things to hide and separate and have their own part of the cage just like in a zoo.. and i would be able to walk in anc close the door in this cage and watch em without takeing em out so i think it could be good :D

Which is a great example of anthropomorphic thinking. You're applying human needs to the animal.

I'm not saying you can't do what you're trying to do, but off the top of my head here are some of the difficulties you are going to have to plan for.
1) 2 chameleons in one cage is still tricky and amplifies all the problems below.
2) Providing proper UVB exposure
3) Providing proper heat gradients
4) Maintaining Humidity
5) Providing access to water
6) Providing food, and monitoring food intake
7) Cleaning the enclosure
8) Being able to maintain constant visual inspection of the animals in regards to health concerns

These basic things are greatly amplified in difficulty as the size of the enclosure increases, and with two animals competing for resources... I can't wrap my head around how to do it properly.

Even the large free range setups you see generally confine the animal to the space of a tree or two.

Unfortunately, housing a male and female together even in a 6x6x8 habitat is not good. The male will be a stress for the female when she is not receptive and she will hang out at the bottom and be dark. Every time she is receptive he will want a go at her and it is not healthy to mate a female all the time. It cuts their life span short. She also needs to be stress free to lay her clutch. Turn that thing on its side and make 2 - 4x6x6 homes for your chams. They will be much much happier and healthier.

I think thats too big of an enclosure it's not really practical. Your going to have some big water issues lol.

sorry long message!!

its true what is being said im afraid.. id do see your idea of having a nice big enclosure for your chams but this is big and asking for some probs!! instead of one big viv why dont you change it slightly buy dividing it in half...make some sort of division that is not see through to the chameleons at all so you can house your chams seperatly, this way they can have there own space and own basking area (1 each) and there own trees to live in ect ect...just make sure that the u.v bulbs you use for each of them seperatly are big enough to reach right the way down the viv so the animal wont suffer any problems in the future,like perhaps useing a mega ray mercury vapour bulb and reflector at the top of the viv..this will provide both u,va/b down to about 20 inches with the 100w and more in some of the higher wattages and it will also provide a good heat and light and if the vivs are backed up with an arcadia or zoo med low uv output strip bulb also like a 2% it will creat more light thus simulating natural light better (we cant ever re create the sun light rays as perfectly as nature but we can do our best to simulate them .)and provide each animal with a water dripper and a water sprayer system like a super rain by lucky reptile to spray the leaves of your plants (big ficcus trees are perfect ) and fit the spray valves over and into the vivs and put it on a timer to go off a few times a day in the morning and night ...drips may be a hassle tp clean up so fit some sort of deep tray on the bottom to catch these and perhaps some plastic sheeting around the sides of tha walls behind the viv to stop drips just incase !!!..just a few ideas...but the bigger is sometimes not the better..not so good in cold countrys where we must keep our reps inside...in the states it would be fine as you could use it outside with not to may probs. )good luck and keep us posted about what you are doing !!

Back
Top Bottom