Is this normal?

joshbert

I got my new panther yesterday! While my cham is basking under his heat lamp he holds his mouth open every once in a while. Is that normal? He is very active and has a ferocious appetite and seems to be extremely healthy.

I got my new panther yesterday! While my cham is basking under his heat lamp he holds his mouth open every once in a while. Is that normal? He is very active and has a ferocious appetite and seems to be extremely healthy.

Check the heat might be too hot.

Be(ita) did that the other day too!! I thought she was thirsty so I misted the cage..but she didnt drink or anything...

My q is, if thats why they open their mouths, why not move out of the basking area? Mine is only one corner, yet she will stay there and sit with her mouth open when she can move 4 inches down and be cooler on the same vine, Its a 100W bulb and keeps it around 82-85.

He's too hot.

Babies don't need a basking spot.
Check your temps without it.

-Brad

That would be my frist guess too. I dont use basking lights on my babies. How old is he? I start using a basking lamp at 3 or so months when they go to a slightly bigger home. If he is in a medium sized cage and around 3 months I would lower the bulb wattage or raise the fixture up. APics may be helpful. That and we want to see the new guy:)

I cant get any pics right now, but i propped the basking light up a couple of inches and he decided to move op to get closer to the light. Do chameleons just try to get as warm as hey can even if its too hot? He is about 3.5-4 months old.

It is my understanding that in a natural environment babies tend to stay lower, in tall grasses and lower bushes where the humidity is higher and the sunlight is somewhat filtered.
Young chameleons are not very good at thermoregulating and a hot basking area will cause their little bodies to dehydrate faster.

Concerning Benita, how high up (in the room) is she able to get?
They feel more secure if they can position themselves above your eye level.
She is likely tolerating the heat to be as high up as possible.

-Brad

Ah.. she is at my midsection between my chest and my waist.. about 4 ft off the ground..Hmm, never thought of that.. Not sure if I have a way to get her higher right now as we dont have any dressers in our room..We are using a bench at the end of our bed to sit her cage on.. Maybe I should just get out the 71" cage and set it up?

Last edited:
He should have an opportunity to drink at least 2 to 3 times per day.
Remember to let the enclosure dry out between mistings.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom