Is this normal?

Like Remcon already said :).

So snails, as a feeder the actual snail, has alot of calcium in them, they love calcium. Then the snails shell, is 100% Calcium Carbonate, and there is quite a bit of it in fact. Likely more in 1 full grown H. aspersa (now C. aspersa, AKA Garden Snail, or Escargot (not actually Escargot, but a close relative and the closest we have in the states)

They need to be fed cuttlebone, as they will just raso it down for their shells and holding calcium, the things love calcium.

Now, going to use a source here, as I have not attempted this yet, but plan to.

I spoke with Petr Nectas, about absconding from dusting, in leu of using snails, 1-2 fully grown, weekly. Obviously dusting with D3, and Vits is still needed. He said, that would be fine. However if your already having calcium issues, maybe dust everything but the snails. And let others test that theory.

It makes since, we put a thin layer, of calcium and most of that is lost before the feeder meets the cham. Snail shells have quite a bit of calcium. I had the suspicion it would be enough, and Petr stated he thought so as well.

To the WC thing, I am not endorsing feeding WC snails, I am still Leary of it.

However, the parasite of issue for the Snails is Rat Lungworm, and a type of Nemotoads, Petr also stated neither of these will have any effect on Chameleons, and WCs should be fine. Take from that what you will. From what I am told, as I am just starting my colony, they are extremely prolific, so breeding them and not feeding WCs shouldn't be too bad.

This last part is controversial, but I am going to provide it anyway. There is a debate going on right now about this in the Snail Facebook group. Tree snails, (hard to keep alive, but legal to ship) require UVB, to survive, period. There is talks of land snails beniefiting from UVB as well, it defiantly doesn't hurt them, so that is a good idea.

A note, Shipping land snails across state lines, is extremely illegal, it carrys up to 5 years in prison. And the USDA actively monitors the snail forums, and the snail groups on Facebook. They do not mess around with snails, it's not like sticks where they really don't enforce it afaik, they are not playing with snails.

So you need to catch them or buy them from someone in your state.

And the parasite, rat lungworm, can affect humans, and dogs. Which is part of the reason they don't play around with snails I think. Being pests is 1 thing, their parasites can kill humans. Wash your hands, before and after holding them, and only hold them with wet hands.
This seems like an awesome yet extravagant solution that a new cham keeper probably shouldn't be focusing on...maybe the basics first? :p

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male and almost a month now
  • Handling - Just if i have to do a deep clean
  • Feeding - Crickets
  • Gutloaded w/papaya and other high calcium leaves that he loves!
  • Supplements - Repti cal with and without d3 and reptical multivitamins (without d3 daily and with d3 2 a month along with the multivatamins)
  • Watering - Hand spray couple times a day
  • Fecal Description - Almost fullt dry with dotes everytime
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Small reptibreeze
  • Lighting - Zoomed uvb and basking (5.0 and 50w) 12 hours on
  • Temperature - 90 is the max, and during the night is 74
  • Humidity - 50% mostly
  • Plants - Yes
  • Placement - corner to keep the humidity
  • Location - ?

The biggest thing you have going against you right now (other than the MBD) is that cage! The small reptibreeze is no where near large enough for a veiled chameleon. You need to be using the XL Reptibreeze if you go with that brand. Male veileds require 24x24x48" enclosures at minimum

The biggest thing you have going against you right now (other than the MBD) is that cage! The small reptibreeze is no where near large enough for a veiled chameleon. You need to be using the XL Reptibreeze if you go with that brand. Male veileds require 24x24x48" enclosures at minimum
Yeah i trully know that he eventually needs an a bigger now, but he will be fine for now

Please also consider giving the following podcasts a listen. They are hosted by a trusted member of the chameleon community and offer a wide view of MBD, ranging from how to avoid it all the way to how to live with an MBD chameleon longterm. Keep in mind that MBD is not reversible. The only thing you can do is prevent it from getting worse

(1) https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/94-intro-to-mbd-metabolic-bone-disease/
(2) https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/chameleonbreeder-podcast/e/55821140?autoplay=true
(3) https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/chameleon-breeder/96-rescuing-an-mbd-chameleon-0UI7O8cMKkW/

Please also consider giving the following podcasts a listen. They are hosted by a trusted member of the chameleon community and offer a wide view of MBD, ranging from how to avoid it all the way to how to live with an MBD chameleon longterm. Keep in mind that MBD is not reversible. The only thing you can do is prevent it from getting worse

(1) https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/94-intro-to-mbd-metabolic-bone-disease/
(2) https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/chameleonbreeder-podcast/e/55821140?autoplay=true
(3) https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/chameleon-breeder/96-rescuing-an-mbd-chameleon-0UI7O8cMKkW/
Yes thank you so much!!

Yeah i trully know that he eventually needs an a bigger now, but he will be fine for now

No, no, no. You have come to the wrong place if you think we will let this sort of lax attitude pass.

Your chameleon needs an upgrade immediately. The small reptibreeze is not even big enough to keep a juvenile safely. You keep telling us to "trust you" and "he will be fine," but it is clear that he is not fine and your husbandry needs immediate improvement. I am not trying to be rude, but I need to emphasize the necessity of a cage upgrade ASAP. It is not up for debate.

We are all trying to be nice, but with you disregarding good advice, your chameleon will have less quality of life, and a shorter life at that

No, no, no. You have come to the wrong place if you think we will let this sort of lax attitude pass.

Your chameleon needs an upgrade immediately. The small reptibreeze is not even big enough to keep a juvenile safely. You keep telling us to "trust you" and "he will be fine," but it is clear that he is not fine and your husbandry needs immediate improvement. I am not trying to be rude, but I need to emphasize the necessity of a cage upgrade ASAP. It is not up for debate.

He will be fine, your gonna see all that work that im doing with him it will be all worth it, thanks for all your information though

This seems like an awesome yet extravagant solution that a new cham keeper probably shouldn't be focusing on...maybe the basics first? :p

I mean not really, they are as easy if not easier than breeding Roaches.

New keepers should 100% be focused on having a correct varied diet. If they get into a habit of feeding a staple, then they will argue a staple is fine, feeding just crickets is fine. And that can't be farther from the truth.

This is going to come off harsh, but it's truth. If you can't keep snails alive, how will you keep a chameleon healthy. I think all new keepers should start breeding bugs first, if you can't do that, then do not even bother looking at a Chameleon.

Especially when odds are most keepers are only going to have pet stores that sell crickets and supers. The rest are going to have to be bought online, or bred. Raising bugs, is part of raising Chameleons IMO.

We are all trying to be nice, but with you disregarding good advice, your chameleon will have less quality of life, and a shorter life at that
No, i actually appreciate all of what you guys have told me, but not because is not exactly the way you guys wanted im doing it wrong.

This is a prime example of Petco and its employees not caring one bit for the health of their animals. Very disappointing, but not the least bit surprising.
Nah you totally wrong with me, give me a couple months and your gonna see, trust me. He will do wonderful

The small Reptibreeze has dimensions of 16x16x20. That's a volume of 5,120 square inches.

The required minimum size cage for a veiled of yours' age is 24x24x48, a volume of 27,648 square inches.

You are subjecting your animal to nearly unlivable conditions. He has less than 20% of the space that he needs. When not a single member agrees with you and you are completely new to chameleons, maybe just maybe consider listening to the people with decades of combined experience. If you think 20% of the recommended space is acceptable, then it sounds like pets are not for you.

I mean not really, they are as easy if not easier than breeding Roaches.

New keepers should 100% be focused on having a correct varied diet. If they get into a habit of feeding a staple, then they will argue a staple is fine, feeding just crickets is fine. And that can't be farther from the truth.

This is going to come off harsh, but it's truth. If you can't keep snails alive, how will you keep a chameleon healthy. I think all new keepers should start breeding bugs first, if you can't do that, then do not even bother looking at a Chameleon.
What? Settle down, mate, that wasn't my point. I was just perpetuating the point that as a new cham keeper hosting a chameleon with MBD, he should be focusing on getting the right cage, lights, and correctly feeding crickets in the first place instead of raising a snail colony, which frankly would be no help at all if his chameleon is too sick to consume them.

That sounds like a project for someone who is already on the right track and is looking for more :) But, thats just my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom