Is my UVB light good enough?

WilsonCham

Hello,

I recently got a male veiled chameleon. He is housed in a 24x24x48 screen enclosure and I have a terrarium hood with a 12" T5 HO Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Is this UVB setup enough for him? or does he need a longer lamp with a 10.0 UVB?

Thanks!

You’re going to want a 24” fixture for your cage, 12” fixtures honestly aren’t even recommended for the smaller cages because they don’t penetrate as deeply. Get a 10% or 12% bulb for it. You’re cham will be much better off :)

the 12" 5.0 t5 HO is 15 watt. That should be fine considering you have to shoe horn in a 24" t8 10.0 17 watt in at an angle.

Your only other choice is getting the 22" that is 24 watt. Most are going to recommend that, but if you can not return it, its not going to be a bad setup.

Basically for ideal, you want a 24" t8 10.0, or a 22" T5 HO 5.0. This would allow 18-24" of penetration into the cage.

Im guessing your 12" HO is providing 18". It is nightanole approved for the cage, just set up the cage so that it hanged out on the top half of the cage mostly.

how old is he and can you post a pic of your set up so we can determine the density of foliage and if he needs a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb. it should be 24" like mentioned above.
I was told he is approximately 1 year old. Attached are a couple of pictures of his enclosure

Attachments

• 53F0CF5A-1836-438E-8279-2F64D9C3DBFA.jpeg
    53F0CF5A-1836-438E-8279-2F64D9C3DBFA.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 316
  • 777A18AA-AC32-4B3E-B58A-2682AA3E03CB.jpeg
    777A18AA-AC32-4B3E-B58A-2682AA3E03CB.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 343
does the six month light change include t5ho? I just put in a new 22" t5ho uvb bulb.

Yes, just to be safe. I have heard Arcadia bulbs last longer, but I would still swap Arcadia bulbs out at 9 months without testing with a solarmeter.

Hey guys! I'm a soon-to-be chameleon owner and I'm trying to get everything right before I bring him home, but I'm having a little trouble finding the right lighting supplies. I've read that the 24" Reptisun hood needs a 22" bulb but I have only found 24" and 18" bulbs. Is the 24" bulb okay to fit the 24" hood? Specifically these are the two products I'm talking about:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.14.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.14.03 PM.png
    596.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.14.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.14.59 PM.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 150
Hey guys! I'm a soon-to-be chameleon owner and I'm trying to get everything right before I bring him home, but I'm having a little trouble finding the right lighting supplies. I've read that the 24" Reptisun hood needs a 22" bulb but I have only found 24" and 18" bulbs. Is the 24" bulb okay to fit the 24" hood? Specifically these are the two products I'm talking about:
A 24" hood takes a 22" light. About 1" on both sides of hood for parts to receive the light and hold it in place. Arcadia and Reptisun have 22". glad you are asking now and not later. I spent a month just reading about the different types of lights,positioning etc..

Hi there your best bet is to start your own thread via this link https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/enclosures-and-supplies.14/
But the bulbs are always 2 inches shorter then the hood length unless you get an odd sized hood.
I prefer Arcadia bulbs. I bought my fixture and bulbs through lightyourreptiles.com. Todd is great and you can email him specifics on cage, cham type, etc and he can offer suggestions.

A 24" hood takes a 22" light. About 1" on both sides of hood for parts to receive the light and hold it in place. Arcadia and Reptisun have 22". glad you are asking now and not later. I spent a month just reading about the different types of lights,positioning etc..
Thanks a bunch!

Hi there your best bet is to start your own thread via this link https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/enclosures-and-supplies.14/
But the bulbs are always 2 inches shorter then the hood length unless you get an odd sized hood.
I prefer Arcadia bulbs. I bought my fixture and bulbs through lightyourreptiles.com. Todd is great and you can email him specifics on cage, cham type, etc and he can offer suggestions.
Awesome I'll check out Arcadia at the website you mentioned, I've heard Arcadia bulbs last a little longer too. I'll start posting my own threads, too.

Awesome I'll check out Arcadia at the website you mentioned, I've heard Arcadia bulbs last a little longer too. I'll start posting my own threads, too.
Yeah it is just easier for people to not get your info confused with the Original Poster. But yes Arcadia bulbs are more of a 12 month bulb where the zoo med are a 6-9 month bulb. I prefer the fixtures that Todd sells to over the one you have posted. I would do at least a dual fixture to provide light for plant growth as well. :) But Todd can explain more about your options there. :)

898A3DC4-A167-42B7-9505-19DAEF7F3497.jpeg
You’re going to want a 24” fixture for your cage, 12” fixtures honestly aren’t even recommended for the smaller cages because they don’t penetrate as deeply. Get a 10% or 12% bulb for it. You’re cham will be much better off :)
Hello, I'm a new comer and I’ve recently been doing research about chameleons. Im currently purchasing everything i need to have a healthy little man but the only thing i seem to have trouble with is understanding the UVB I’ve recently purchased a size “14 reptisun terrarium hood as well as a (T5 HO high output 5.0 UVB & 2 reptisun T5 HO high output 10.0 UVB tubes) my cage isn’t as big as the 24x24x48 definitely much smaller id say 16x16x30 i just wanna know if i’ll be getting enough UVB for rengoku!
30DD53CD-41E4-400E-B5F7-6D0C78A7F8CD.jpeg
5B7C0D38-C034-42D0-A218-AA84889AE13E.jpeg

Hello, I'm a new comer and I’ve recently been doing research about chameleons. Im currently purchasing everything i need to have a healthy little man but the only thing i seem to have trouble with is understanding the UVB I’ve recently purchased a size “14 reptisun terrarium hood as well as a (T5 HO high output 5.0 UVB & 2 reptisun T5 HO high output 10.0 UVB tubes) my cage isn’t as big as the 24x24x48 definitely much smaller id say 16x16x30 i just wanna know if i’ll be getting enough UVB for rengoku! View attachment 340107View attachment 340108
Hi there welcome to the forum. If you start your own thread it makes it easier for us not to confuse the info for each person. Also we are able to go more in depth with your own thread.
But to answer your question. You want to use the 5.0 bulb. And you want a distance of 8-9 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the branches below it to put the cham in the right UVI level.
There are different elements to consider if your dealing with a really young baby that screen climbs. I can go into more detail with you if you have your own thread. You can tag me in your thread by doing @ beman but no space in between.

Back
Top Bottom