Is my chameleon healthy?

@AmandaS I just remembered she actually has been going lower than usual not to the bottom but she’s never really gone below the middle maybe she’s just exploring or something I’m not sure. I did recently redo her cage maybe that’s why? Also just to double check everything I’m supposed to feed her the same amount of crickets every two days now right? And everything else stays the same. I add in her laying bin tomorrow morning and leave it there permanently. Do I have to change out the sand? Also make sure it’s moist enough to hold a tunnel everyday in case she does lay or will misting sessions be good enough? (Also I posted something above)

@AmandaS I just remembered she actually has been going lower than usual not to the bottom but she’s never really gone below the middle maybe she’s just exploring or something I’m not sure. I did recently redo her cage maybe that’s why? Also just to double check everything I’m supposed to feed her the same amount of crickets every two days now right? And everything else stays the same. I add in her laying bin tomorrow morning and leave it there permanently. Do I have to change out the sand? Also make sure it’s moist enough to hold a tunnel everyday in case she does lay or will misting sessions be good enough? (Also I posted something above)
I don't think plants survive in children's play sand. A picture would be helpful!

I don't think plants survive in children's play sand. A picture would be helpful!
Yeah that’s what I was thinking I’ll post a picture in a while I need to get the sand into my room so I can add the water. I probably won’t be able to carry it if I add the water before.

Here’s a picture it’s a 12 inch over sized pot I made a test hole and I added water it holds but I don’t know if I should add more or leave it. That’s the plant I would add into it but I think I’m gonna hang it from the screen so it’s draped over the left side of the laying bin and covering it from the sides and in the front I’ll add some vines or something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 75
You said..."I’m supposed to feed her the same amount of crickets every two days now right?"...I'd really like to see her cut down even lower than that...but the reason I said 20 every other day is that when a chameleon is producing eggs she needs the nutrients for the eggs. Since you've been feeding her 20 every day I worry that if you cut her back even more to less than 20 every other day it might mess up the egg production and cause problems. It's a catch 22 situation...likely darned if you do and darned if you don't. I'm just hoping it's the best choice.

You said..."I’m supposed to feed her the same amount of crickets every two days now right?"...I'd really like to see her cut down even lower than that...but the reason I said 20 every other day is that when a chameleon is producing eggs she needs the nutrients for the eggs. Since you've been feeding her 20 every day I worry that if you cut her back even more to less than 20 every other day it might mess up the egg production and cause problems. It's a catch 22 situation...likely darned if you do and darned if you don't. I'm just hoping it's the best choice.
I thought if you feed your chameleon that much she could produce too many eggs and die? I stopped feeding as much because of this. She gets 5 buggies every other day.

I thought if you feed your chameleon that much she could produce too many eggs and die? I stopped feeding as much because of this. She gets 5 buggies every other day.
But if the chameleon is already in the middle of a clutch that may already be large what's going to happen if you cut her back too much right now? I don't have any studies to prove it but I don't think it would be good for her. Would it cause the eggs to go bad? Would it cause the female health issues like MBD? Will it increase her chances of not being able to lay them? I always start the "diet" at the beginning of a cycle...like right after they lay a clutch after a couple of good feedings.

But if the chameleon is already in the middle of a clutch that may already be large what's going to happen if you cut her back too much right now? I don't have any studies to prove it but I don't think it would be good for her. Would it cause the eggs to go bad? Would it cause the female health issues like MBD? Will it increase her chances of not being able to lay them? I always start the "diet" at the beginning of a cycle...like right after they lay a clutch after a couple of good feedings.
Yeah I read that if you overfeed them they can become egg bound but if you under feed them the eggs will likely cause a problem that leads to that or she won’t be able to lay so either situation would likely end up with her becoming egg bound. Every time she sees food she comes to the front of her cage and she will never not accept food. Today I was moving stuff around in her cage and she saw my cricket keeper and started trying to eat the crickets through the clear glass and she moved so fast trying to get them. I honestly think she won’t lay for a bit but the laying bin is in there if she ever needs it. Do you think that she is working on a clutch or she’s just growing. It’s hard to tell since she’s young and growing. Her colors keep changing or maybe since I see her so often it’s just me. I’m not sure whicwhat do you guys think. She has the same pattern just darker. This is her when she was a baby until now. When I received her she looked very skinny and her urates her yellow so I had to nurse her back to health. And I finally got to feed her a baby hornworm. Her original name was Frankie but I changed it to Peanut but now I don’t know I feel like I should change it. I want something more unique like Nova or Asteria (Ria for short).

Attachments

• 862C6C8B-BDF3-436E-A049-8F489D9D31D6.jpeg
    862C6C8B-BDF3-436E-A049-8F489D9D31D6.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 1EB5699F-7A01-4C4B-B72D-5711617E8F33.jpeg
    1EB5699F-7A01-4C4B-B72D-5711617E8F33.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 9C952B8D-4F1E-4C7B-8CB4-36C85FE0BF2C.jpeg
    9C952B8D-4F1E-4C7B-8CB4-36C85FE0BF2C.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 9DD3FBC9-6182-40E0-BF2F-DDCC7339C641.jpeg
    9DD3FBC9-6182-40E0-BF2F-DDCC7339C641.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 88E9A54C-77C9-4FB2-8199-9A08356A5E52.jpeg
    88E9A54C-77C9-4FB2-8199-9A08356A5E52.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 5A673C8E-C52B-456B-9891-153F31775F2D.jpeg
    5A673C8E-C52B-456B-9891-153F31775F2D.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 67
Sorry for the mistakes. It Auto corrects so I “fix” it but clearly I don’t actually fix it

It's not a bad thing. I like it...it's more scattered than most but since I'm not used to that I'm finding it harder to read her.

Oh ok! And yes her colors are beautiful she’s my first chameleon and although I did months of research before I purchased her I never really got the coloration thing down. It was something harder to figure out and understand. Not my level of expertise but I’m no expert either.

It's not a bad thing. I like it...it's more scattered than most but since I'm not used to that I'm finding it harder to read her.
Is it normal for her to go to her favorite sleeping spot 2-3 hours before the lights turn off? (I also put something above)

@kinyonga @AmandaS @Beman If any of you could let me know! I’ve been watching her closely and she keeps scratching herself. I never did a fecal test and was wondering where I could get one done that isn’t extremely expensive. I’ve looked at all my vets close by and all of them are over $150 dollars for a check up! I paid for a zoom call just a couple days ago and haven’t been paid yet. And plus if there is something that piles up. I did have a vet check up just a couple days ago like I said over zoom since covid and all but forgot to mention that. Is there some way I could get one of her droppings and send it somewhere and wait for results? Also she hasn’t laid any eggs or showed any signs that she will soon.

@kinyonga @AmandaS @Beman If any of you could let me know! I’ve been watching her closely and she keeps scratching herself. I never did a fecal test and was wondering where I could get one done that isn’t extremely expensive. I’ve looked at all my vets close by and all of them are over $150 dollars for a check up! I paid for a zoom call just a couple days ago and haven’t been paid yet. And plus if there is something that piles up. I did have a vet check up just a couple days ago like I said over zoom since covid and all but forgot to mention that. Is there some way I could get one of her droppings and send it somewhere and wait for results? Also she hasn’t laid any eggs or showed any signs that she will soon.
I do not have a female... So I can't help you there.

Your vet should be able to run the fecal sample. You just take it in a baggy and drop it off. They either run it in house or send it to a lab.

I do not have a female... So I can't help you there.

Your vet should be able to run the fecal sample. You just take it in a baggy and drop it off. They either run it in house or send it to a lab.
Do they charge a lot of money to get one done or...

Back
Top Bottom