Is my chameleon healthy?

Question about the basking light? Does it have to be on the full 12 hours or can I like turn it on and if it appears like it’s getting too hot, turn it off and then turn it on after an hour or a few minutes??
I only run mine from 9-3pm This would be the warmer part of the day. So my T5 uvb and plant lights are on from 7-7pm.
As long as daytime temps are in the 70's if basking temps climb then yes you can turn it off.

Personally I would not take a chameleon on vacation. It is extremely stressful for them. Is there no one that will be at home to take care of her?
No there isn’t anyone :(. I’m taking her normal cage, her everyday cage that she’s used to. And she’ll be asleep for most of the trip in a smaller cage it’ll have a tree branch and I’m adding some fake plants. I’m making a small dripper so I can just add water if she wakes up, stick her feeding cup in there and add crickets. I’ll show what I’m taking her in once it’s set up! I’m just worried if I need anything else but she’ll be asleep most of the ride and I think that’ll minimize the stress??

I have a question, whenever I take her out to clean her cage or add stuff I put her in the sun in like a little playground kinda thing that I’d set up before I take her out. I have branches a plant and a border of stuffed animals so she doesn’t escape. She always goes to one stuffed animal and hangs out there which I find kinda funny and cute. It’s Arlo from the good dinosaur that’d I’ve had for a very long time I was wondering if your chameleon does that and if it’s ok for her to do so. She usually basks on it or just watches me.

I have a question, whenever I take her out to clean her cage or add stuff I put her in the sun in like a little playground kinda thing that I’d set up before I take her out. I have branches a plant and a border of stuffed animals so she doesn’t escape. She always goes to one stuffed animal and hangs out there which I find kinda funny and cute. It’s Arlo from the good dinosaur that’d I’ve had for a very long time I was wondering if your chameleon does that and if it’s ok for her to do so. She usually basks on it or just watches me.
Just watch her the entire time... They start getting very sneaky and fast if you turn they can easily climb somewhere they shouldn't.

No there isn’t anyone :(. I’m taking her normal cage, her everyday cage that she’s used to. And she’ll be asleep for most of the trip in a smaller cage it’ll have a tree branch and I’m adding some fake plants. I’m making a small dripper so I can just add water if she wakes up, stick her feeding cup in there and add crickets. I’ll show what I’m taking her in once it’s set up! I’m just worried if I need anything else but she’ll be asleep most of the ride and I think that’ll minimize the stress??
Well then I suppose just take everything you need. It will be very stressful for her. So no handling her while your going back and forth except to take her in and out for travel. Try to let her be as calm as you can. For travel just a box with a stick pushed through it for her to rest on. She will sleep while you travel.

Well then I suppose just take everything you need. It will be very stressful for her. So no handling her while your going back and forth except to take her in and out for travel. Try to let her be as calm as you can. For travel just a box with a stick pushed through it for her to rest on. She will sleep while you travel.

I forgot to update a picture of what I took her in but she was absolutely fine slept most of the way. She’s been fine, she’s getting bigger, her colors are always nice, and she hissed at me 😀, she’s getting more aggressive but I’ve been trying to build her trust more with hand feeding so we’ll see. I’ve got a new question I purchased black crickets because the only pets store that had crickets was this store and so I had to get them but I haven’t fed them yet cause I read they can bite and all that. Is it ok for me to feed her them she’s about 4 months old now at most

I forgot to update a picture of what I took her in but she was absolutely fine slept most of the way. She’s been fine, she’s getting bigger, her colors are always nice, and she hissed at me 😀, she’s getting more aggressive but I’ve been trying to build her trust more with hand feeding so we’ll see. I’ve got a new question I purchased black crickets because the only pets store that had crickets was this store and so I had to get them but I haven’t fed them yet cause I read they can bite and all that. Is it ok for me to feed her them she’s about 4 months old now at most
black crickets? I dunno hun. lol There are a few different types. @jamest0o0 do you know what black crickets are?

black crickets? I dunno hun. lol There are a few different types. @jamest0o0 do you know what black crickets are?

Yeah, they are a type of field cricket. They can be very aggressive and can bite. They usually get pretty big too. I've heard of a couple people breeding them before. They do make good feeders and should be fine, but I wouldn't let a bunch loose in the cage.(this is, if they're the crickets I think they are).

OP are you in the US?

Yeah, they are a type of field cricket. They can be very aggressive and can bite. They usually get pretty big too. I've heard of a couple people breeding them before. They do make good feeders and should be fine, but I wouldn't let a bunch loose in the cage.(this is, if they're the crickets I think they are).

OP are you in the US?
I’ll post I picture I’m just scared to feed them

Attachments

• 836D6272-1DBB-4B78-8633-CABB7F377E70.jpeg
    836D6272-1DBB-4B78-8633-CABB7F377E70.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 58
I just found a worm thing in there but I think it’s because of where they buy it. Like when I ordered dubias there was a meal worm big but this this looks different 😭

If it is a black worm thing it is a type of cleaner bug that are in the bins...

I do not know enough about this kind but as @jamest0o0 said it should be find just do not release them in the cage. Hopefully you have a feeder run. Make sure they are size appropriate for your cham as well.

I do not know enough about this kind but as @jamest0o0 said it should be find just do not release them in the cage. Hopefully you have a feeder run. Make sure they are size appropriate for your cham as well.
Yeah I’m hand feeding them to her I usually have a cup feeder but I’m gonna play it safe. They are small for her and I decided to smash the heads before I fed them she didn’t care at all, I read that you could do that so I did it. They look the same they’re dusted so they look like regular crickets she didn’t mind I just probably won’t get them again they just creep me out 😅

So you helped me with my cham problem and I wanted to ask you something else now. Do you think she’s pregnant like ready to lay. She’s four months and I heard they can start as early as 3-4 months. If she is do I put a laying bin in there even if she never uses it? What do I do with it can I save it or throw it out if she never uses it? Also I did upgrade my cage a while ago and got everything right including the light I forgot to mention that. I recently redid it and added stuff I know the bottom has not center plant but I’m working on that I just couldn’t find any right plants at any stores and online every time I’ve ordered they came damaged. But I’m gonna find one soon I swear and I’ll add more sticks too! (The bucket is for water I ordered something for the drainage system and I’m just waiting for it to come and that plant down there isn’t doing good but I left it there 😂 oh and I made this cage it’s 2x2x4 maybe a few inches bigger)

Attachments

• 084CA17A-EEC4-4F04-9F30-0E0B7BCABE2F.jpeg
    084CA17A-EEC4-4F04-9F30-0E0B7BCABE2F.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 77CCD162-812D-4774-8464-96F5EB9A8F19.jpeg
    77CCD162-812D-4774-8464-96F5EB9A8F19.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 4E2DC981-015B-4782-9FB3-E767A8C7EBC0.jpeg
    4E2DC981-015B-4782-9FB3-E767A8C7EBC0.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7EFC9082-F6C4-4CD9-B692-044CF9E33F2E.jpeg
    7EFC9082-F6C4-4CD9-B692-044CF9E33F2E.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 17F198CB-D9D4-41DC-80FF-E3EBAD4FDE98.jpeg
    17F198CB-D9D4-41DC-80FF-E3EBAD4FDE98.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 56A55641-481F-4B4A-B16C-08BEC88A8AE4.jpeg
    56A55641-481F-4B4A-B16C-08BEC88A8AE4.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 70
  • EF015B28-2F20-486A-B9FE-B958843F124D.jpeg
    EF015B28-2F20-486A-B9FE-B958843F124D.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 63
So you helped me with my cham problem and I wanted to ask you something else now. Do you think she’s pregnant like ready to lay. She’s four months and I heard they can start as early as 3-4 months. If she is do I put a laying bin in there even if she never uses it? What do I do with it can I save it or throw it out if she never uses it? Also I did upgrade my cage a while ago and got everything right including the light I forgot to mention that. I recently redid it and added stuff I know the bottom has not center plant but I’m working on that I just couldn’t find any right plants at any stores and online every time I’ve ordered they came damaged. But I’m gonna find one soon I swear and I’ll add more sticks too! (The bucket is for water I ordered something for the drainage system and I’m just waiting for it to come and that plant down there isn’t doing good but I left it there 😂 oh and I made this cage it’s 2x2x4 maybe a few inches bigger)
Oh and also I’m having little doubts if she’s even a girl but I’m pretty sure she is but I see this and I’m like idk there’s a slight bump but I’m sure she’s a girl?

Attachments

• E6462CCC-AFBE-4B41-89EB-C5F5760B69A0.jpeg
    E6462CCC-AFBE-4B41-89EB-C5F5760B69A0.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 728F8FB5-8EF9-4CD9-B985-05CC273DB818.jpeg
    728F8FB5-8EF9-4CD9-B985-05CC273DB818.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 54
Oh and also I’m having little doubts if she’s even a girl but I’m pretty sure she is but I see this and I’m like idk there’s a slight bump but I’m sure she’s a girl?
You have a female. We look at the back of the back feet for the tarsal spur to tell gender. A lay bin should be a permanent fixture in the enclosure. I will tag a few keepers that have females to help you with your questions. @AmandaS @MissSkittles

Put screen material over that bucket top while you leave it in there. If she were to get stuck in that she would drown.
Here is an image on lay bins.

laybin graphic.jpg

She looks hefty. I dont think she is ready to lay yet, but I think she is working on a clutch of eggs.
What are your feeding schedule and temps like?
I feed her in the morning around 8:30 after I mist and her lights turn on then I mist again around 1:00-2:00 and feed her then again and she eats about 20 crickets or more a day, sometimes I’ll feed her like five crickets or less at 6:00. Oh and they’re small crickets. My temps are good I have a temp gun the humidity is around 40-45 and spikes to 80 when I mist. At night her humidity stays around 75-85. The temperature is at 80-82 in her basking area, the bottom and everywhere else is around 65-75. Is everything good or is something wrong with any of the stuff I’m doing?

You have a female. We look at the back of the back feet for the tarsal spur to tell gender. A lay bin should be a permanent fixture in the enclosure. I will tag a few keepers that have females to help you with your questions. @AmandaS @MissSkittles

Put screen material over that bucket top while you leave it in there. If she were to get stuck in that she would drown.
Here is an image on lay bins.

View attachment 288546
Yeah it’s never full I make sure it’s never full enough for that to happen but to be safe I’ll do that!

Oh and do you think I could use that container down there? It’s 7 inches deep and 9 1/2 inches wide? I did buy play sand, it’s currently on its way but I’m probably guessing I’m gonna need a bigger container. Also do I need to put a mixture of both? How long do you think it’ll be until she needs to lay? Sorry I ask too many questions 😅

Back
Top Bottom