Is my chameleon healthy?

Yeah I keep getting different answers but I don’t have the money to buy a new one right now but I will in like a month or so. Do you think there’s a way a can use this one and still provide good uvb because I can’t switch it out right now? Also, yeah I figured I was just gonna go along with her growth and see when she’s getting bigger and then I’d make her a new cage accordingly cause I know they grow fast. But the one she’s in now is big for her size or not big but she looks small in it.
Ok hun. So this is one of the issues she is declining. They have to have the correct uvb. The screw in bulbs put out an extremely shallow uvb pattern directly below the bulb.
This can cause eyes issues, tongue issues, MBD and other things.
Can you get your parents help you buy the right fixture and bulb?

Ok hun. So this is one of the issues she is declining. They have to have the correct uvb. The screw in bulbs put out an extremely shallow uvb pattern directly below the bulb.
This can cause eyes issues, tongue issues, MBD and other things.
Can you get your parents help you buy the right fixture and bulb?
Quick question so I have a tube light but it was given to me and they hadn’t used it in a long time. It was new but old, like it was used probably for a month and then tossed inside an attic. So they didn’t use it and it was off, do you think it could still work or is it a no. And yeah I’ll find a way to get one within the next week. Do you think that since the cage isn’t huge it could still work for the next week while I get one? Also she’s been climbing upside down under the light and when she does I’ll lift the light cause I don’t want her to burn herself is it wrong for them to do that?

These are the pictures. Sorry if they aren’t super good if you want I’ll add more but, is the set up right do I have to fix something other than the light also I do plan on adding more real plants and sticks but I’m wondering if this that I have is wrong or not good enough for her??? I’ll try and get the new light as soon as possible do you think I can return the light as well?? If I find the box and if I don’t will they not take it back??

Attachments

• E524F8D8-9692-49EA-83F6-87D521E4415D.jpeg
    E524F8D8-9692-49EA-83F6-87D521E4415D.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 4BC9F5EA-9D38-4571-AB26-A3CC361DE7B2.jpeg
    4BC9F5EA-9D38-4571-AB26-A3CC361DE7B2.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 78
  • FF195E23-14DF-48C9-A64C-252558CA2E06.jpeg
    FF195E23-14DF-48C9-A64C-252558CA2E06.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 74
  • F2784D31-75D6-4EE7-8D49-E7EEE8D4469B.jpeg
    F2784D31-75D6-4EE7-8D49-E7EEE8D4469B.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 5D9103CF-BC92-4A74-A7CA-679A09999FA1.jpeg
    5D9103CF-BC92-4A74-A7CA-679A09999FA1.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 75
@cruz.m I am going to go through everything in your form. But I do need pics of the entire cage lighting down and please take a picture of your supplements so I know exactly what your using.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, girl, not exactly sure how old she is. She’s been with me for almost two weeks.
  • Handling - When cleaning her cage or fix something like every other day. Also when I see she is at the front or is struggling. I also took her out yesterday because I didn’t want her to keep rubbing her eyes and I was scared she’d keep doing it. I gave her a branch and some vines as well as stuffed animals to climb on and the sun was shining. I fed her and she had her own little jungle Jim in my room. I watched her pretty much the whole time to make sure she wasn’t rubbing. She took a liking to my stuffed animal because she would climb and sit in the sun then she’d walk around and come back. She basked in the sunlight she didn’t look bothered to be out of her cage and when the sun went down it got dark quickly here so it was pretty early but she fell asleep on my stuffed dinosaur. She ended up falling asleep until I woke her up later to put her in her cage to sleep and she went right back to sleep. I know they usually aren’t supposed to sleep on your finger people mistake it for trust which is why I didn’t want to be holding her. If it’s wrong or not okay to do this also please let me know I was just scared she’d keep hurting her eyes. So we need to figure out why she is rubbing so much... It should not hurt her unless she rubs on a fake vine that has the coating coming off..
  • Feeding - I feed her extra small crickets about 8-10 a day or however many she’ll eat. I feed her in the morning 30 minutes after I wake up so 8:30, again at 1:00 and then again at 6:00 and sometimes in between. I usually buy carry outs so they come with a cube of gel it’s like their food and water I’m not exactly sure or I’ll put a potato Drop the 6pm feeding... How are you giving her the feeders? In a cup or feeder run or are you turning them loose in the cage?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Repti Calium with d3 by zoo med 1 day of the week, and Flucker’s Calcium without d3 6 days of the week. I’ve only had her for two weeks so I’m not sure what she had before or anything. You want to drop the repti calcium with D3 and Buy reptivite with D3. It looks like this... https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptivite-reptile-vitamins
  • You would continue to use the calcium without D3 at all feedings but 2 times a month every other week at one feeding you would use the reptivite with D3. This is your multivitamin and D3.
  • Watering - I use The Big Dripper. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes. I do sometimes but usually when I mist she never goes for the droplets and when the the dripper is on she doesn’t always go to it and when she does she always misses the drops until she finally gets some. Make sure your leaving the dripper on for an hour at a time on a slow drip. It takes them a bit to go drink... So if your only doing it for short periods it may not be long enough to trigger a drinking response. Mist morning and night when the cage is not so warm from having lights on.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? The first few days she had yellow and brown which I learned is because of dehydration. I tried getting her to drink but she still has a bit of yellow sometimes. She has not been tested or not that I know of.
  • History - I just got her so not that I know of.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It’s a screen cage, and a 16x16x20 I do plan on getting a bigger one once she’s older but she’s really small right now so I thought this one was a good size. do you mean 30 inches? was it the chameleon kit?
  • Lighting - I’m not sure I think the heat/sun lamp is by zoo med. The uvb I’m not exactly sure it was an old lamp I was given. I turn her lights on in the morning when I wake up and off 6:00 earliest and 8:30 latest. If you guys have any good lamps and brand that I should get that aren’t extremely expensive let me know! I really need to know what this is that your using... Concerned that the UVB is not correct. Take pics of what your using and how you have it set up on your enclosure. You want a t5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb.... You want something like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
  • Temperature - I had moss and dirt but I took it out because ants decided they wanted to make that their home. The temperature in the basking area is between 85-90 and the the range through the cage during the day are between 70-87 and at night 60-73. Way too hot for basking.... What type of heat bulb are you using? You want to use a 60 watt regular incandescent household bulb. Temp at basking should be no hotter then 79-80 for her.
  • Humidity - They’re 65 and up. I’m misting the cage and I use a hygrometer but I need to get a new one if you guys have any recommendations for measuring the temp and humidity nothing too expensive because I’m on a budget. We want humidity to be 30-50% max in the daytime. Can be up to 100% at night. Do you have a cell phone that you can have apps on? If so I recommend this one for humidity and ambient temp. Just do not put it in the cage where you will spray it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Plants - I’m not using any real plants I want to but I’m not sure where and what kid to get so any recommendations there too. Here you go... The Veiled tested ones... I would get a nice full umbrella plant to fill out the enclosure. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
  • Placement - It’s located near my desk in my room. It’s not near but not far from an air vent, no fans and I do have a backyard door and there is a street but there isn’t usually any noise sometimes my neighbors dog barks but it’s muzzled by my door. It’s probably 2 or 3 feet off the floor I’m not exactly sure.
  • Location - I’m in California, San Diego to be more exact.

Current Problem - Her eyes she keep rubbing them on the tree branch or anything she found. At first I thought it was one eye but then it would go away and it’d me the other but now it’s both and sometimes she even closes her eyes but opens then again. I’m guessing she’s getting an infection or something and I know it bothers her because she’s rubbing them and trying to itch or something. She also hasn’t been very active but I think it’s just her right now she’s laying on a branch looking at me I think she just got some water which is good! I know it’s not anything I did I’m pretty sure it was something the store did cause I went back and there was a poor chameleon there who’s both eyes were malnourished. I wanted to get her at a petco for these reasons cause I knew they didn’t know much about animals or cared for them right so I wanted to try and give her the best home. I couldn’t afford a vet but I called the store where I bought her and apparently it’s free so I’m gonna take her and see. Any recommendations to try and stop it or what could be wrong PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! Also when I got her she didn’t look super healthy I have fed her and tried to fatten her up a bit not sure how old she is so that would also be great to know. I know she is a female I checked her back legs to find out I didn’t want a male but it’s alright.
*These pictures were taken yesterday*

Does she ever do a full tail curl? Where it is tight and pulled in or does she leave it pretty loose like in the pics?
So I looked for the light in a different place and there is one from Walmart that’s the exact same one. Since Black Friday is coming up do you think it’ll get cheaper?? It’s 35 on the website right now I hope it does if not I’m sure I have a coupon laying around or a discount with my Walmart card. If I order it online do you think it’ll break or anything like is it ok if I order it online??

These are the pictures. Sorry if they aren’t super good if you want I’ll add more but, is the set up right do I have to fix something other than the light also I do plan on adding more real plants and sticks but I’m wondering if this that I have is wrong or not good enough for her??? I’ll try and get the new light as soon as possible do you think I can return the light as well?? If I find the box and if I don’t will they not take it back??
As far as the tube light that was given to you... I would not recommend using that bulb because you don't know how old it is. Did they give you the fixture for it too? If so look and see if it says T5 or T8 on either the bulb in it or the fixture and let me know what it says.

If you got the items from Petco I know they take returns.

The enclosure is ok... But you need to be able to start building a bigger one now or buy one. This cage is better then the reptibreeze brand and a good price. https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage

Remove the hammock. These are created for other types of lizards not chameleons.

She is climbing to the top below the uvb because she is seeking it out. Her body needs it. This is where it can be dangerous because those UVB compact bulbs put out an extremely high level right below them on the screen. But then if you go only 2 inches below it they put out the appropriate level for a chameleon. Drop another 2 inches and there is no uvb. This is why the correct uvb is needed.

So I looked for the light in a different place and there is one from Walmart that’s the exact same one. Since Black Friday is coming up do you think it’ll get cheaper?? It’s 35 on the website right now I hope it does if not I’m sure I have a coupon laying around or a discount with my Walmart card. If I order it online do you think it’ll break or anything like is it ok if I order it online??
post the link so I can see what exactly it is.

Yes it came with the
As far as the tube light that was given to you... I would not recommend using that bulb because you don't know how old it is. Did they give you the fixture for it too? If so look and see if it says T5 or T8 on either the bulb in it or the fixture and let me know what it says.

If you got the items from Petco I know they take returns.

The enclosure is ok... But you need to be able to start building a bigger one now or buy one. This cage is better then the reptibreeze brand and a good price. https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage

Remove the hammock. These are created for other types of lizards not chameleons.

She is climbing to the top below the uvb because she is seeking it out. Her body needs it. This is where it can be dangerous because those UVB compact bulbs put out an extremely high level right below them on the screen. But then if you go only 2 inches below it they put out the appropriate level for a chameleon. Drop another 2 inches and there is no uvb. This is why the correct uvb is needed.
Yes they gave me the fixture too and I’m not sure I think it’s T8 it doesn’t have anything on the fixture but the light was an 18 inch and I don’t think they have one of that size in T5. I got it from pet smart do you think they’ll take the return without the box because I can’t find it. If you’re not sure I’ll call right now and ask

Yes it came with the

Yes they gave me the fixture too and I’m not sure I think it’s T8 it doesn’t have anything on the fixture but the light was an 18 inch and I don’t think they have one of that size in T5. I got it from pet smart do you think they’ll take the return without the box because I can’t find it. If you’re not sure I’ll call right now and ask
What does the bulb in the fixture say? It should have something printed on one end of the bulb near the prongs

call and ask petco. I am not sure on that.

so that one is too short... It is only 12 inches... You will want to buy a 24 inch one so it fits the adult enclosure or you will just end up having to buy another one later.

Lets go back to the fixture you have. Lets try to figure out if it is a T8 because then you could just buy a new bulb for it if it has a reflector rather then buying everything.

Can you take a picture of the fixture so I can see the bulb etc. And look at that bulb in there to see if anything is printed towards the prongs at either end.

so that one is too short... It is only 12 inches... You will want to buy a 24 inch one so it fits the adult enclosure or you will just end up having to buy another one later.

Lets go back to the fixture you have. Lets try to figure out if it is a T8 because then you could just buy a new bulb for it if it has a reflector rather then buying everything.

Can you take a picture of the fixture so I can see the bulb etc. And look at that bulb in there to see if anything is printed towards the prongs at either end.
I don’t have the bulb I took it out and my dad has it in his car or somewhere I’m pretty sure. I called and they said you need the original box but I can’t find it and I think it might’ve gone in the trash. I’ll take a picture of the fixture right now

Attachments

• B0AD698D-44CB-487E-9950-2264B11DB7F8.jpeg
    B0AD698D-44CB-487E-9950-2264B11DB7F8.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 79
  • C2CA85B0-259E-4F1C-9561-E7095D45F248.jpeg
    C2CA85B0-259E-4F1C-9561-E7095D45F248.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 70
  • B5500C8B-4899-478A-8D59-E263190B7E14.jpeg
    B5500C8B-4899-478A-8D59-E263190B7E14.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 72
  • C32F0928-AE28-4A66-9CF9-DC650AAE8D59.jpeg
    C32F0928-AE28-4A66-9CF9-DC650AAE8D59.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 80
  • 34DA6146-C356-4637-AD98-E382853E8D1E.jpeg
    34DA6146-C356-4637-AD98-E382853E8D1E.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 64
  • A1473098-27E6-40BF-90CA-C9E410C3459C.jpeg
    A1473098-27E6-40BF-90CA-C9E410C3459C.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 70
I don’t have the bulb I took it out and my dad has it in his car or somewhere I’m pretty sure. I called and they said you need the original box but I can’t find it and I think it might’ve gone in the trash. I’ll take a picture of the fixture right now
Ok so this one does not even have a reflector panel... So after buying a new one and a new bulb you might as well buy a new fixture.

Ok so this one does not even have a reflector panel... So after buying a new one and a new bulb you might as well buy a new fixture.
Ok I’ll try and do it within the next week. What about her eye should I take her to the vet???

Do you know what’s wrong is it because of the light?? The other chameleons at the pet store also had the same problem so it’s been going on before I bought her.

Do you know what’s wrong is it because of the light?? The other chameleons at the pet store also had the same problem so it’s been going on before I bought her.
The stores do not have the proper uvb lighting either. From the info you provided I am leaning towards an issue of no multivitamin with vit A and the incorrect UVB> These are both very important for chams. Both are items you need to buy now. If this is the cause a vet can not do much at all.

But here is the thing with the UVB And this is very very important.
You have a tiny cage so your going to have to lift the UVB up 4 inches then the basking branches need to be 5 inches below the screen top. This will give a full 9 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the basking branch. What this does is allows for a safe level if she screen climbs the top while still having basking branches at the proper distance if she does not screen climb. This is very important. You can not just set this type of uvb and fixture on the top of a baby cage or you will blast her with much too high of levels.

Then when you get the bigger cage and she is not screen climbing the top you can put the fixture directly on the cage top but basking would be 9 inches below no closer, for the proper uvb level.

Start reading through this husbandry program and all the modules so you can learn more. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

The stores do not have the proper uvb lighting either. From the info you provided I am leaning towards an issue of no multivitamin with vit A and the incorrect UVB> These are both very important for chams. Both are items you need to buy now. If this is the cause a vet can not do much at all.

But here is the thing with the UVB And this is very very important.
You have a tiny cage so your going to have to lift the UVB up 4 inches then the basking branches need to be 5 inches below the screen top. This will give a full 9 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the basking branch. What this does is allows for a safe level if she screen climbs the top while still having basking branches at the proper distance if she does not screen climb. This is very important. You can not just set this type of uvb and fixture on the top of a baby cage or you will blast her with much too high of levels.

Then when you get the bigger cage and she is not screen climbing the top you can put the fixture directly on the cage top but basking would be 9 inches below no closer, for the proper uvb level.

Start reading through this husbandry program and all the modules so you can learn more. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thanks so much I can get the right vitamins today but the light probably not until a week. I’m just wondering there are so many people who use the bulbs and their chameleons are fine?? I just don’t get it. I will buy the correct one though it just confuses me.

Thanks so much I can get the right vitamins today but the light probably not until a week. I’m just wondering there are so many people who use the bulbs and their chameleons are fine?? I just don’t get it. I will buy the correct one though it just confuses me.
Their chameleons are not fine... Most develop MBD within a few months and have either permanent disfigurement or die. Take a look at these images.... These are what chams with MBD look like and why the correct supplements and UVB lighting is so very important. https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...UEPK0KHfrlDv0Q_AUoAXoECBgQAw&biw=1630&bih=955

@Beman so I’m planning on going somewhere for the weekend and I need to take her cause I don’t trust anyone with her and she’s a baby so I know she needs more care. I’m taking her cage and everything but I’m putting her in a cricket keeper for the ride. It’ll be around 6-7 hours I’m leaving early so I plan on putting her in a couple minutes before so she’ll sleep for most of the car ride. I’m taking crickets with me and her cup feeder has a suction cup thing so I can just put it in there with her. Is it fine to take her with me? I’m going to the snow and it’s colder there but she won’t be outside and the doors and windows will 100% be closed and the heater might even be on if it gets really cold. I just really don’t trust anyone to leave her here what should I do more to take her how should I set up and everything I’ll put pictures of what I’ll take her in on the car ride in a little once I have everything set up. Won’t be till a few days and I’ll get the uvb probably by then.

Their chameleons are not fine... Most develop MBD within a few months and have either permanent disfigurement or die. Take a look at these images.... These are what chams with MBD look like and why the correct supplements and UVB lighting is so very important. https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...UEPK0KHfrlDv0Q_AUoAXoECBgQAw&biw=1630&bih=955
Question about the basking light? Does it have to be on the full 12 hours or can I like turn it on and if it appears like it’s getting too hot, turn it off and then turn it on after an hour or a few minutes??

@Beman so I’m planning on going somewhere for the weekend and I need to take her cause I don’t trust anyone with her and she’s a baby so I know she needs more care. I’m taking her cage and everything but I’m putting her in a cricket keeper for the ride. It’ll be around 6-7 hours I’m leaving early so I plan on putting her in a couple minutes before so she’ll sleep for most of the car ride. I’m taking crickets with me and her cup feeder has a suction cup thing so I can just put it in there with her. Is it fine to take her with me? I’m going to the snow and it’s colder there but she won’t be outside and the doors and windows will 100% be closed and the heater might even be on if it gets really cold. I just really don’t trust anyone to leave her here what should I do more to take her how should I set up and everything I’ll put pictures of what I’ll take her in on the car ride in a little once I have everything set up. Won’t be till a few days and I’ll get the uvb probably by then.
Personally I would not take a chameleon on vacation. It is extremely stressful for them. Is there no one that will be at home to take care of her?

Back
Top Bottom