Is my chameleon healthy?

You said you feed her about 20 crickets a day but they are small? How small?
She's old enough that she should be being fed every second or third day.

You said you feed her about 20 crickets a day but they are small? How small?
She's old enough that she should be being fed every second or third day.
She’s still a baby she’s 4 months at most I read that, that’s not until they’re around 6 months or older. They’re about the width between her eyes I’ll show a picture but yeah she’s not more than 4 months. (I dust them with calcium with no D3 everyday and once to twice a month I give her reptivite with D3 which I gave her today)

Attachments

• 97041E8D-C9BE-4656-9ADC-FF3CB19E7F95.jpeg
    97041E8D-C9BE-4656-9ADC-FF3CB19E7F95.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 73
Looking at the photos in post #53, is what made me say she's big enough to be being fed every second day. She has her big girl colors coming in and if you I overfeed her she will likely produce a huge clutch of eggs and may have problems and health issues. 20 crickets is likely too much but I don't like to see them cut down to the "proper" rate too fast.
Just my opinion...I'm not a vet.

Looking at the photos in post #53, is what made me say she's big enough to be being fed every second day. She has her big girl colors coming in and if you I overfeed her she will likely produce a huge clutch of eggs and may have problems and health issues. 20 crickets is likely too much but I don't like to see them cut down to the "proper" rate too fast.
Just my opinion...I'm not a vet.
So how much do you think I should feed her now? Every other day? I’m not sure what to do because when I did my research everything I read said to feed babies everyday 15-20 small crickets? I knew I would cut back her food when she was older but I never thought it’d be so soon. I asked @AmandaS for help so when she has time maybe she can give a second input on this too.

you said..."So how much do you think I should feed her now? Every other day?"...I told you same amount you do everyday on every second day...for now. But it's just my opinion based on how big she looks on your hand.

You said..." I’m not sure what to do because when I did my research everything I read said to feed babies everyday 15-20 small crickets? I knew I would cut back her food when she was older but I never thought it’d be so soon. I asked @AmandaS for help so when she has time maybe she can give a second input on this too"...always good to have a second opinion.

you said..."So how much do you think I should feed her now? Every other day?"...I told you same amount you do everyday on every second day...for now. But it's just my opinion based on how big she looks on your hand.

You said..." I’m not sure what to do because when I did my research everything I read said to feed babies everyday 15-20 small crickets? I knew I would cut back her food when she was older but I never thought it’d be so soon. I asked @AmandaS for help so when she has time maybe she can give a second input on this too"...always good to have a second opinion.
Ok got it thanks! Also I’m gonna try and measure and weigh her but I have lost my food weigher thing so I’m gonna look for it to see if I still have it. If I don’t I’ll order one online! My play sand still hasn’t come in so I think I’m gonna go out and buy it. Does the laying bin have to be at least 7 inches deep or more? Also how wide would you recommend it to be, and do you think she’ll lay soon?

I agree with @kinyonga. She has had chameleons for decades and really knows her stuff!
I like my laybin to be 10x10x10. You want it deep enough they can lay but not so deep that they use all their strength digging.
If you have a scrap plant you plant in the lay bin she will like that probably. It will provide added privacy and they like to lay by the roots.

I agree with @kinyonga. She has had chameleons for decades and really knows her stuff!
I like my laybin to be 10x10x10. You want it deep enough they can lay but not so deep that they use all their strength digging.
If you have a scrap plant you plant in the lay bin she will like that probably. It will provide added privacy and they like to lay by the roots.
Ok then thanks I’ll do that. So I’ve been checking on her and she’s near the bottom of her cage which she’s always at her basking spot or at the top part of her cage, her colors are beautiful and it looks like she has bumps on her stomach. Do you think she’ll lay soon? I don’t want to put her laying bin in today because her lights are going to turn off in an hour like always. I’ll show some pictures. I’ve been reading more about the laying and everything and I saw a picture of a receptive female and she looks kinda like that, she doesn’t have that dark green and bright yellow and blue spots that gravid females do but maybe since she’s younger I’m not sure but here are the pictures. Also when should I put her laying bin in?

Attachments

• F8B2D25A-CA2E-4305-B058-235947FA1B98.jpeg
    F8B2D25A-CA2E-4305-B058-235947FA1B98.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 60
  • F66DD0D6-B8C3-40D2-8099-47602F9CD564.jpeg
    F66DD0D6-B8C3-40D2-8099-47602F9CD564.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 835A3637-1B6E-4868-B34B-FDD174121540.jpeg
    835A3637-1B6E-4868-B34B-FDD174121540.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 56
  • AB7681B8-2449-4EA7-92DD-CBD5E3F7A923.jpeg
    AB7681B8-2449-4EA7-92DD-CBD5E3F7A923.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 65
  • 92D0F471-0AB3-481B-9A14-3EDDB3223015.jpeg
    92D0F471-0AB3-481B-9A14-3EDDB3223015.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 19FA4D4E-3F51-4C38-9FC5-8770CDF452E0.jpeg
    19FA4D4E-3F51-4C38-9FC5-8770CDF452E0.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 0DFFE69C-69FE-4100-8EC3-24919B34DCE0.jpeg
    0DFFE69C-69FE-4100-8EC3-24919B34DCE0.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 08BC9CB9-BC7D-4694-8605-9D64890A90C5.jpeg
    08BC9CB9-BC7D-4694-8605-9D64890A90C5.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 711EBAC9-4392-41C1-A8A0-A689B3687C94.jpeg
    711EBAC9-4392-41C1-A8A0-A689B3687C94.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 58
Ok then thanks I’ll do that. So I’ve been checking on her and she’s near the bottom of her cage which she’s always at her basking spot or at the top part of her cage, her colors are beautiful and it looks like she has bumps on her stomach. Do you think she’ll lay soon? I don’t want to put her laying bin in today because her lights are going to turn off in an hour like always. I’ll show some pictures. I’ve been reading more about the laying and everything and I saw a picture of a receptive female and she looks kinda like that, she doesn’t have that dark green and bright yellow and blue spots that gravid females do but maybe since she’s younger I’m not sure but here are the pictures. Also when should I put her laying bin in?
You should put it in first thing in the morning. You should make it a permanent part of her enclosure so she has it available at all times.
My female still doesnt turn the dark forest green/black with the bright gold and teal. She sometimes gets a little darker. When she is actively digging she turns pretty dark, but that's once she is already digging a tunnel.
I think she looks hefty. What has her behavior been like? Has she been walking on the bottom and pacing back and forth?

All females are different. Some may never show typical gravid colors. Some may show their first lay. Sometimes the change in colors/behaviors is so subtle that you may not even notice at all. That is why you should the lay bin available to her at all times.

You should put it in first thing in the morning. You should make it a permanent part of her enclosure so she has it available at all times.
My female still doesnt turn the dark forest green/black with the bright gold and teal. She sometimes gets a little darker. When she is actively digging she turns pretty dark, but that's once she is already digging a tunnel.
I think she looks hefty. What has her behavior been like? Has she been walking on the bottom and pacing back and forth?
No she’s usually at the top on her basking branch laying there she’ll come to the middle to get food from her cup feeder or from me. Her dripper is always on and it’s at the top near her. It wasn’t until recently that she doesn’t want me near her, if I reach in to get her feeder cup she’ll get aggressive but I try and be calm and gentle with her always. She doesn’t always hiss or gape she’ll mostly just hide away and sort of move like hanging from her branch and turn a bit darker.

What does your enclosure look like?
There’s a picture on page 3 I’m on my way to get a center piece plant right now and I’m getting another pothos and maybe a couple other decorative plants. Also a bucket so that I can make her laying bin since my package came just a while ago. I’ll put the play sand in but do you think I should add the water or do that in the morning?

She probably isn't ready then.
You'll know because she will go to the bottom of her enclosure repeatedly throughout the day. And she will walk around in the lay bin and on the bottom of the enclosure making her laps. She will be very restless. Then one day she will start digging. She may dig several test tunnels, or she may start digging and just dig 1 tunnel she likes. Once she starts digging do not let her see you watching, and try to not let her get disturbed.

She probably isn't ready then.
You'll know because she will go to the bottom of her enclosure repeatedly throughout the day. And she will walk around in the lay bin and on the bottom of the enclosure making her laps. She will be very restless. Then one day she will start digging. She may dig several test tunnels, or she may start digging and just dig 1 tunnel she likes. Once she starts digging do not let her see you watching, and try to not let her get disturbed.
She’s in my room and I do school in there so do you think I should add some curtain or like a blanket surrounding the cage like I did to retain humidity?

You can add the water in the morning. That shouldn't be a problem. She will like if you put her laybin in the back, and plants in front of it. And if there is a plant, like a pothos, that you can put into the soil. That will give her top coverage. She will like the privacy.
Just do not set a potted plant on top of her play sand because when she digs a tunnel it could collapse on her and trap her or crush her.

I got the play sand and damn I did not think it’d be that heavy my arms are red from carrying it 😭. Can I put the plant into the play sand since it’s sand not soul and the plant has soil is it fine like it doesn’t matter? Also thanks for the help I will be doing that right now and I’ll listen to all of the advice I’ve gotten. She’s asleep now she’s been pretty tired recently getting ready for bed around 7:00 an hour before she usually sleeps. Is that not a good sign?

Back
Top Bottom