Is it normal?

zsazsa85

Established Member
Hi everyone,
I have my veiled probably boy for almost five months now, he must be about 5-6 months old.
He is still green, barely see some bars. I can't bring him outside yet to get real uvb, but he has uvb. When does the colours come?
And here is my other concern: I moved him in his new big enclosure at the beginning of February and his last shedding was before and nothing since. I know the humidity could be higher, but it's very hard to keep in. Two sides are covered and now on the back there is plastic foil. Humidity is about 60 after misting and then it goes down to 30. So I mist in every two hours.
Why doesn't he shed???
Thank you

nice post and im also wondering as well if humidty plays a roll in shedding or if it just helps them shed easier. from what I understand chameleons shed when they get bigger. but maybe humidity does play a roll in initiating the shedding phase they go through? I could be wrong, so im on the same page as you.

I have a lot of trouble with humidity as well. My cage stats at about 30% and will rise to about 50% while misting. I mist every hour for that reason. However my guy has shed 3 times in the 6 months I've had him. I don't know if humidity promotes the shed but I do know it helps to remove it. Your humidity sounds similar to mine. So why he's not shedding? IDK but I'm sure someone here does.

Yes, higher humidity will help with shedding. As your chameleon gets older though, he will she'd less as his growing slows. You can try covering 2 sides of the cage if you are really having trouble with keeping your humidity up. With my misting schedule and the area I live I never have humidity issues. Hope that helps

Scott

Humidity helps with shedding (helps the skin peel off), but I don't think it causes shedding if that is what you are after.

Coloring changes with size, and although it will brighten and change a bit with shedding as he grows- it is the size, not the number of sheds, that is relevant to his appearance.

If your cham is very small at 6 months, he may not yet show much of his barring. If he is an adult at 6 months (many veileds are) he will be showing adult coloration by that age.

Thank you everyone! I feel better a little. He has appetite and drinks so he has to shed one day. :)
About humidity: 3 sides are covered already.... Will see, but I think I'll give showers to him. ( although he likes to stand under the mistking when it's on. :))
BTW he is about 80 gramms and about 9" incl. tail.

Back
Top Bottom