Is he ok?

Thank you so much guys ! I will follow the both of you & update you guys tonight on how the tank is looking

Is it ok if we keep this thread for any other questions I may have

Yes, please feel free to continue updating us and asking questions as they come up! I personally don't keep newspaper in the bottom, but I believe some owners do. You have to make sure to change it out every day, though

OKAy thank you so much.

This is my first reptile, I was told it wasn’t the wisest thing to do to start with a chameleon, but pascal caught my eye and he was very friendly to me & to everyone else he wasn’t so much lol. Which made the bond even stronger I just had too :( thank you so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it

OKAy thank you so much.

This is my first reptile, I was told it wasn’t the wisest thing to do to start with a chameleon, but pascal caught my eye and he was very friendly to me & to everyone else he wasn’t so much lol. Which made the bond even stronger I just had too :( thank you so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it

To be honest, this is part of the reason why pet stores need to buff up their employees and teach them what is supposed to be passed on to customers. Chams aren't easy, but with the proper knowledge and a good support group you can easily tackle it.

Lose the substrate, you'll want to pick up a 50w bulb for daytime. You'll want a thermometer + hydrometer to measure temps. You'll want a UVB bulb + hood. Do not get anything swirly, this can bug their eyes!

If you need something for the bottom, I've been using repticarpet for a long time. Just make sure you clean it once a week with a warm, wet cloth.

I'll make sure to keep this thread on watch just in case you have more questions.

ALSO: Find yourself some calcium with D3, calcium w/o D3 and vitamins. When you get those, come back and we can explain supplementation for you!

(And if you find they have a REALLY tiny hornworm, buy that and feed it to your little guy as a snack.)

FC516281-5719-4E51-968B-FC9FBC8F3CAA.jpeg

Well here it is! Pascal’s new and improved hike :) !

I changed the bulb to a 60w by the way !

Uh-oh, I'm sorry to say but this cage needs a whole lot of changes and is not suited for a chameleon yet. First of all, he needs to have many horizontal branches/vines/twigs at all levels of the cage, especially near the top. Chameleons are arboreal lizards, so they want to be up off the ground as high as possible. You need to provide a lot of perches - think making a little road system for him up off the ground. What you have right now only provides that single perch which is not even close to enough. He also has next to no cover in this setup. You should get live plants (like schefflera, pothos, ficus, or another nontoxic plant) and put it in there. It will provide him places to climb on as well as leaves to help him hide when he wants to. Your current setup is way too open and this will make him stressed out. I know you said you couldn't help but purchase him, but keep in mind that chameleons are really not good beginner lizards so it's a good thing you are asking for help.

Also, is one of those things in there a water dish? If so, that needs to be removed

I'm glad you got a different bulb. You still need to get a temp probe to measure the temperature though. His cage is very small and glass - I would worry that even a 60W may be overdoing it. Best to be sure. Also how are you measuring humidity?

I'm glad you got a different bulb. You still need to get a temp probe to measure the temperature though. His cage is very small and glass - I would worry that even a 60W may be overdoing it. Best to be sure. Also how are you measuring humidity?

Yeah, after seeing how short that tank is... I'm sticking to 50W or even LOWER for how short that tank is. You said you had another tank coming soon, do you have it already ordered? Or is this something you are PURCHASING in a week?

I still don't see a thermometer or hydrometer. These are going to be necessary. I don't harp on it because it is good to know... his temp and humidity is kind of a big deal in keeping him healthy.

Did you get the supplements or order them? I can help provide links if you could not find them.

Otherwise, Syreptyon hit the rest of the notes I had after seeing this picture. Normally I would say it is fine to use glass or mesh tanks... but with how new you are to this, getting him into a mesh tank, getting the supplements, and getting a UVB bulb + housing should be your top priority.

You’re starting to worry me a bit. The things we’re telling you are mandatory additions/changes to the cage. Are you sure you understand our advice well enough to care for this chameleon? You need to have a heat lamp and also a UVB strip light - they are two totally different things. If you’re confused please tell us and we can provide links to specific products

Yes I am buying his new screen tank in another day or so

Awesome! It is just that it tends to be harder to make sure there isn't too much humidity in the tank, and as a beginner... I would be afraid one night you wake up to him having a respiratory infection.

Remember, you are doing a great job taking feedback and asking questions!

And remember, you strictly need a UVB. Something like this -
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/34497-zoo-med-repti-sun-terrarium-hood-24-inch

That is the housing for it.

This is the kind of bulb -

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/69-zoo-med-24-repti-sun-50-uvb-bulb

For my glass cage, I used a 29 watt (40W equivalent) halogen bulb that I got from Ace Hardware, and got the basking temp to 82 degrees.

You really need these things MANDATORY. Please seek their advice, you really need to work on this fast. Those black dots don't look very normal to me. As overall of what you need, what do you mean by screen tank? You really confused me on your other thread, we need to make sure that we are on the same page.

You really need these things MANDATORY. Please seek their advice, you really need to work on this fast. Those black dots don't look very normal to me. As overall of what you need, what do you mean by screen tank? You really confused me on your other thread, we need to make sure that we are on the same page.

I am guessing screened tank just means screened cage. The terminology is confusing when you just get started with cham care. At least it was for me. As for the black dots, I'd probably have him evaluated too. He such a little cutie and you wouldn't want him to be suffering unnecessarily from anything. When I had a veiled cham, she had an eye problem that didn't resolve until I got her to the vet and she was much happier then. People here can help you figure out how to find a vet if you are okay with taking him in and not sure how to find one who specialized with chams.

HE is in a glass tank . I will by the screen one tomorrow

I hope we are not overwhelming you with info. I recall that I felt a little overwhelmed, by all that I realized that I didn't know, when I had my first one, which was earlier this year. Just know that everyone's advice is coming from a warm place. We want you to have ideal setup so that your little cutie will live long, healthy life :)

Back
Top Bottom