Is he ok?

D3572375-2E77-4753-91CC-C905B209F0CA.jpeg
The black spots around his mouth? Is that due to stress ?

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Please fill out the form below in as much details as you can and include a couple more photos of the enclosure and the chameleon. This will help us help you as quickly and as completely as possible! Briefly with what you've already provided: his eyes look a bit sunken, so he may be dehydrated. As for the black areas around the mouth, they don't look completely normal to me but someone else may have better comments to make on them

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My chameleon is a male, he’s approximately 3-4 months old. I’ve had him for about a week now :)

I handle him every day now, he willingly comes on my hand & loves to climb out of his cage

Feeding - I feed him 8-10 crickets every 2-3 days, I will be sprinkling calcium powder 1-2x a month

Watering- I mist his cage about 5-6 a day, I am working on getting him an automatic mister

Cage info

Cage type:
as of now it’s a glass cage, he will be getting into a mesh tank in another week but he is doing well with glass

Lighting: I use a 100w bulb the nocturnal bulb is also the same. He’s sleeping by 9pm and awake at around 8am

Placement: his cage is on my little table in the center of my room near the wall

What’s the problem? He has those black spottings around his mouth only when out of his cage. Which he willingly comes out of

& I’m no sure if his eyes are filling his eye socket :(

All right, there are a couple big changes you need to make. First of all, he needs more food!! At his age he should be eating 10-12 small crickets every day. He is probably lacking a lot of nutrients and protein he needs to grow and be active.

Secondly, you need to be dusting his crickets with calcium powder (without D3) in it every day. You should dust them with calcium+D3 twice a month, and with a multivitamin twice a month as well.

Third, get rid of the night bulb! That is not necessary for chameleons and is, in fact, bad for them. I'm also concerned about the wattage heat bulb you're using. 100W is a lot for a young chameleon, especially in a glass cage. You may be cooking him. What is the basking temp? It's important to know this

The pet store told me that’s what they’ve been feeding him so I didn’t want to change his routine . Even with the bulb ! They gave me the 100w, they also said I needed a night bulb so that he can identify between night and day & he has to be warm at all times ?

The pet store told me that’s what they’ve been feeding him so I didn’t want to change his routine . Even with the bulb ! They gave me the 100w, they also said I needed a night bulb so that he can identify between night and day & he has to be warm at all times ?

They need a drop in temps at night, and all the night light is going to do is bother him.

The pet store is wrong, regardless of what routine he has been on... if you keep him on it, it will end up hurting him.

Also, a big heads up is you might want to remove that substrate. If any of it gets stuck to his tongue while feeding, there is a chance he will swallow it and become impacted.

They need a drop in temps at night, and all the night light is going to do is bother him.

The pet store is wrong, regardless of what routine he has been on... if you keep him on it, it will end up hurting him.

Also, a big heads up is you might want to remove that substrate. If any of it gets stuck to his tongue while feeding, there is a chance he will swallow it and become impacted.

That’s what I thought. The lady at the pet store swore that they have to be warm at all times also advised me to put a heating pad at the bottom .

Thank you so much. I’ll be going out today and buying more crickets ! Thank you!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Read through these articles. They go over pretty much every aspect of chameleon care.

Pet stores are often one of the worst places to get care information from. Besides trying to sell you more items, they don't normally know that chameleons have different care requirements compared to bearded dragons, snakes and other reptiles.

Chameleons need near total darkness at night to ensure they have proper rest. Chameleons can sense more light than is visible to us, so a night bulb will be much brighter to them as opposed to us. If its dark, the chameleon will know its night time... Veiled chameleons also need a temp drop at night to help regulate their hormones. As long as the room temp doesn't drop below 55*F,there is no need for additional night time heating. If you do require heat at night, a ceramic heat emitter is recommended since they do not produce any light.

Do you have a separate UVB bulb in the cage? UVB is need for the chameleon to produce its own Vitamin D3. Since UVB radiation does not penetrate glass, we need to provide UVB rays via a light bulb. Lack of UVB can cause a MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).

It is a lot of information to digest all at once, so focus on making one change at a time. If you have questions, there is no shame in asking!

They have you putting a heating pad at the bottom? What are the temps in that cage?

Just remove the substrate entirely. Don't replace it with anything at all. Chameleons should not ever be hanging out at the bottom of their enclosures. The problem with substrate is that bugs will hide in it and crawl in it, which means your chameleon may accidentally catch the substrate with his tongue and could choke. It also is a place for mold and bacteria to grow. We recommend using none at all

If your room stays above 50F, you don’t need a bulb for nighttime. You need to feed everyday with calcium dusting. Remove the substrate. Buy a thermometer and monitor his basking temps, as well as the rest of the cage’s temps. 100W sounds a bit much for a baby. I don’t even use 100W for my adult.

This will help to outline the basic temps and schedules.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Read through these articles. They go over pretty much every aspect of chameleon care.

Pet stores are often one of the worst places to get care information from. Besides trying to sell you more items, they don't normally know that chameleons have different care requirements compared to bearded dragons, snakes and other reptiles.

Chameleons need near total darkness at night to ensure they have proper rest. Chameleons can sense more light than is visible to us, so a night bulb will be much brighter to them as opposed to us. If its dark, the chameleon will know its night time... Veiled chameleons also need a temp drop at night to help regulate their hormones. As long as the room temp doesn't drop below 55*F,there is no need for additional night time heating. If you do require heat at night, a ceramic heat emitter is recommended since they do not produce any light.

Do you have a separate UVB bulb in the cage? UVB is need for the chameleon to produce its own Vitamin D3. Since UVB radiation does not penetrate glass, we need to provide UVB rays via a light bulb. Lack of UVB can cause a MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).

It is a lot of information to digest all at once, so focus on making one change at a time. If you have questions, there is no shame in asking!

Just remove the substrate entirely. Don't replace it with anything at all. Chameleons should not ever be hanging out at the bottom of their enclosures. The problem with substrate is that bugs will hide in it and crawl in it, which means your chameleon may accidentally catch the substrate with his tongue and could choke. It also is a place for mold and bacteria to grow. We recommend using none at all
Beat me to it!

Well I haven’t gotten that ! I knew it’d be too much with the light as well! How they hell was I suppose to keep the humidity up!

Well, to be really honest... an all glass enclosure + substrate is going to be very easy to keep humidity going. Issue is, you might have built a mini sauna for your cham, and that isn't great. Temps are necessary to know. Do you have a thermometer for the tank, or no?

Well, to be really honest... an all glass enclosure + substrate is going to be very easy to keep humidity going. Issue is, you might have built a mini sauna for your cham, and that isn't great. Temps are necessary to know. Do you have a thermometer for the tank, or no?

I do not. But I will tonight!

Back
Top Bottom