Is free ranging for begginers?

Update, Lenny is a girl, she was wandering because she was gravid. I no long think the style of free range she was living in is an acceptable free range. There needs to be a bit more to it than just a tree and some vines. It did work well for her and chris... but I think more is better.

does this mean your going to have little Merlleri babies or just eggs?! Im so down to get one from you :)

That is fantastic, it's exactly the type of thing I would love to build once I'm in a house I own. I love the pond under the trees and branches, it's really beautiful.

I would be kind of worried about the pond to be honest. I know chams dont fall very often, but i have seen it and my veiled used to try and climb on branches that were too small for him and theyd break off and hed fall. It would only take once into the pond to be game over :/

Jus a basking area? How does the Cham get UVB?

Maybe its a got a small coil 5.0 next to the heat seatup?

I would be kind of worried about the pond to be honest. I know chams dont fall very often, but i have seen it and my veiled used to try and climb on branches that were too small for him and theyd break off and hed fall. It would only take once into the pond to be game over :/

Na, I don't think so. I've seen enough photos/videos of chameleons swimming that I highly doubt they'd drown just like that. Even little desert geckos can swim! But I'm not without concerns, of course (I do love my babies!), so I'd try to figure out how to make it as safe as possible or not do it at all. I'll see when the time comes.

Panther can swim fine (still is a concern if they cannot find their way out though). My concern would be that many adult male panthers being let loose together. I have seen it done before except it is a gamble with that arrangement there is always the possibility that a couple will tear into one another. Plus making certain that his panthers cannot gain access to the electrical and the heaters in his greenhouse which would be a disaster. Other than that, that is a nice greenhouse free range arrangement. I had something like that for panthers a couple of years ago.

Free Range is more advanced chameleon keeping. However if you have the resources and the confidence go for it the chameleons really seem to respond to not not being caged and having more places to roam. Just make certain you can account for all the hazards.

Last edited:
I was thinking of hanging a pot of pathos from the ceiling like 3 feet away from the cage in front of a window and every once and a while opening the enclosure door and tieing a vine to this pathos so he could free range to the pathos. would this be ok?

I was thinking of hanging a pot of pathos from the ceiling like 3 feet away from the cage in front of a window and every once and a while opening the enclosure door and tieing a vine to this pathos so he could free range to the pathos. would this be ok?

Sure, he'd love it. Just don't keep him away from his lights more than a couple of hours at a time.

Back
Top Bottom