Small free-range in home

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi Friends!

I am thinking of making a small free-range area in my reptile room for my chameleons to be on while doing things like deep cleaning their enclosures etc.

What are the general thoughts on this?

Does anyone have any great setups they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Are there things I need to be aware of in a free-range setup?

Thanks all!

A free range can be anything from a couple of plants in front of a window to an extensive set up similar to a beautiful enclosure but without being enclosed. Although I haven’t yet had occasion to use it, I have a weeping fig tree for when I need to remove a chameleon to work on its enclosure. If for any reason I can’t guarantee keeping the cats away, the tree with chameleon would go into the spare bathroom.
There’s probably a thread or two on free ranges that you can find if you do a forum search.
Safety is the biggest thing to consider. Do you have any cats, dogs, ferrets, birds, etc that can potentially hurt your chameleon? Are there any ceiling fans that you’ll need to ensure are off? Any other hazards or risks in the area, including escaping outside? Although we think of them and their adorable leaf walk as moving slowly, they can be surprisingly fast when they want.

A free range can be anything from a couple of plants in front of a window to an extensive set up similar to a beautiful enclosure but without being enclosed. Although I haven’t yet had occasion to use it, I have a weeping fig tree for when I need to remove a chameleon to work on its enclosure. If for any reason I can’t guarantee keeping the cats away, the tree with chameleon would go into the spare bathroom.
There’s probably a thread or two on free ranges that you can find if you do a forum search.
Safety is the biggest thing to consider. Do you have any cats, dogs, ferrets, birds, etc that can potentially hurt your chameleon? Are there any ceiling fans that you’ll need to ensure are off? Any other hazards or risks in the area, including escaping outside? Although we think of them and their adorable leaf walk as moving slowly, they can be surprisingly fast when they want.
Hi @MissSkittles!

Thanks for the response. I do have dogs, but when I clean my enclosures, the dogs are kept upstairs via babygate, and then I keep my reptile room door closed as well. The chams cant get outside nor does the room they are in have a fan. I'll keep my eye out for a weeping fig. I thought some pothos hanging from the ceiling around the tree might be fun as well...

We have a tree for Perceval. He goes back and forth between it and his enclosure a couple times a day as he decides he wants to warm back up and would like to come back out.

Attachments

• IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom