Is free ranging for begginers?

So i was thinking of a free range set up, not as a main place for my vield to live, but just somewhere he can spend a day when i am at school, i mean i have a whole room with really just his cage and stuff. I was thinking of just giving him his huge ficus, a couple hanging plants and his lights, just an idea

I free ranged from the word go. If you can set up something where he has plants and access to food and water, and (ideally) where he can't disappear, you should be okay. Do a search on "free range" (if you haven't already), and there are some threads with pictures of individual free range setups. I vaguely remember a thread with a bunch of different people's free range setups, but either I dreamed it, or didn't go back far enough to find it.

Hallenhe, Says it all above, I'm just posting to back up your thought. A very well set up free range concept will go over well with your Cham on a 24 hr basis. He will love it! A happy Cham is also a long lived Cham. So set it up and enjoy. I free range allmost all my Larger chams and they act as if they are free and happy!

I wouldn't free range any chams smaller than 6" SVL (snout to vent length). It's just too easy for such small critters to get themselves in trouble when they escape. And they will escape from their tree one day.

Adding a free range to a room means you have to cham-proof the entire room. Make sure they can't climb on top of their heat lamp, make sure they can't leave the room and ideally keep them away from any electrical wiring/sockets. Also think about how many hours your cham will spend in the free range and determine if you have to provide a source of water for him during that time (which to me would mean anything more than three hours).

I think free ranging is great for larger chameleons, but it definitely comes with it's one set of problems. The instructables article that chameleon linked is actually written by my husband, so if you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

The only problem with free ranging small Chams and babies is - if they are elsewhere in the room they are harder to see, find and possibly hurt them accidentally. They do not require that kind of space yet. If I free range a smaller Chameleon I almost always put up a barrier wall, such as construction flashing (10" tall or so) topped with a cut plastic tube fitted on top of that so the sharp edge is safe. This is flexable to shape as you desire around the base of the tree. and contain the lizard should it go to the ground. Careful of how you space it at the bottom. I did have a Fishers Chameleon that figured to Jump from the tree over the barrier and cruise the room. All I did was move the barrier farther out and he quit trying that. The usual office chair plastic (clear) carpet mats work well for putting under your setup and makes cleaning the bottom real easy.

Also, could those of you who do free range show some pics? Just for the different ideas and examples of how people here have done/do it. I'm google'd a bit, but would like to see some of the ideas put here.

Sure Id love to get you some pic's. Its late tonight and I have a long day tomorrow. Give me a sec of time, and I will help you set Your Cham up with a spot in life, that will make his and your happiness REAL! K.

Obviously I wasn't saying, drop what you're doing and blah...blah...blah...:eek:

I guess my real question is the different setups as far as a plant/s in a corner of the room, vs. a full room setup like the one on Instructables. What are the +/-? (Other than price tags) What do you have in your setup that makes it better? (I use "you" as towards all forum members)

I would like to (when I get out of this apartment) make a free range setup. Just some thoughts to how each person likes/dislikes each setup.

What kind of cham do you have/plan to get?

I have two free range melleri. Today one decided to pay the other a visit......... It didn't go over well..... I don't think anyone was hurt but Henry was PRETTY stressed.

As suzanne was saying... the size of the cham will matter and you NEED to make the house/room is cham proof.

This is Lenny's range... I have since added vines and supports to the tree for him to roam on. He has been a total pain in the ass lately and is roaming the entire apt. I might be caging him for a while....

IMG_8645.jpg

This is Henry's range... He went through a roaming stage and now NEVER leaves his area. He works like clock work... when I come home from work he is in his sleeping spot waiting for the lights to go out. I think he is happy with his home. The pothos are growing more and more.. I will suspend the vines from the top of the rack once they are long enough.

IMG_8563.jpg

I have a female veiled, about 4"-5" nose to base of tail, and was just getting ideas for when i move out of this apartment in a few months into a more permanent place. She always stays where she feels secure, and I'm sure I can trust her stay in what ever plants I give her to chill around in. I REALLY like the one on instructables, but no way do I have that kind of money OR space.

What kind of cham do you have/plan to get?

I have two free range melleri. Today one decided to pay the other a visit......... It didn't go over well..... I don't think anyone was hurt but Henry was PRETTY stressed.

As suzanne was saying... the size of the cham will matter and you NEED to make the house/room is cham proof.

This is Lenny's range... I have since added vines and supports to the tree for him to roam on. He has been a total pain in the ass lately and is roaming the entire apt. I might be caging him for a while....

IMG_8645.jpg

This is Henry's range... He went through a roaming stage and now NEVER leaves his area. He works like clock work... when I come home from work he is in his sleeping spot waiting for the lights to go out. I think he is happy with his home. The pothos are growing more and more.. I will suspend the vines from the top of the rack once they are long enough.

IMG_8563.jpg

Update, Lenny is a girl, she was wandering because she was gravid. I no long think the style of free range she was living in is an acceptable free range. There needs to be a bit more to it than just a tree and some vines. It did work well for her and chris... but I think more is better.

Wow, oops, didn't realize this thread was so old! Oh well :D

Here is mine: https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-jungle-room-49654/ I rather not have to upload and re-link all the photos here :D So excuse the laziness. Mine cost me about $200 to set up I think, and the most expensive parts were the tables (PVC sheeting is not cheap) and the plants. But they have all their lights, water, and food right there in one room.

There are certainly ways of free raning smaller babies easily. My last two young panthers (3" StV) both did fine in a large free range (a different one than the one above), all you have to do is secure the room so they can't get out or make a barrier around the FR so they can't go beyond that. But that's easy to do with a little creativity.

hello just a thought.. what i did for my free range. is i got about 100 ft of nice clean grape vine from my local river.. and a couple $2.00 fake ivy plants.. i took little hooks and ran the grape vine alone my wall about 1 ft down from the roof.. i zip cut and zip tied the fake ive to it.. it wraps around my whole front room .. also threw in a 45watt basking area.. if youd like to see pics.. i can surley take some.. good luck

hello just a thought.. what i did for my free range. is i got about 100 ft of nice clean grape vine from my local river.. and a couple $2.00 fake ivy plants.. i took little hooks and ran the grape vine alone my wall about 1 ft down from the roof.. i zip cut and zip tied the fake ive to it.. it wraps around my whole front room .. also threw in a 45watt basking area.. if youd like to see pics.. i can surley take some.. good luck

Jus a basking area? How does the Cham get UVB?

Back
Top Bottom