Introducing Cratesiclea

Ambilobe123

Avid Member
8A7842E3-B099-41AB-980A-649A5D2DED44.jpeg

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Female panther chameleon, 18 months old, just brought her home today
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Only to put her in her new enclosure
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • In her previous home, I am unsure how much, but crickets. She seems overweight.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Unsure about previous home, but calcium WITHOUT d3 6 days a week, every other Saturday the LoD
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Going to hand mist 2-3x per day until I get a mist king attachment.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Hasn’t pooped yet, but I will post if there is anything concerning/in parasite test
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Got her from a local hobbyist breeder, who is downsizing.
    Apparently she lays every 5 weeks. Normal or not?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Screen 2x2x4, previous home was 18x18x36 screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • T5ho 5%, household halogen bulb- 9-9
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Basking 82-83, coldest is 68
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Humidity ~70 daytime, ~90-100 night, unsure previous home
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Previous home was mostly fake, now all live. Ficus elastica, pothos, spider plant, tradescantia, and zz plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Currently on the floor, but going to elevate it so the top is 6’
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Alberta, Canada

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Just a check, also my first female cham

Last edited:
What a beautiful lady! All looks good to my quick scan. Not so sure about the zz plant though. Even though she isn’t a plant eater, I’d hesitate to use it.
Laying every 5 weeks!? :eek: Is that even possible? Wow...you’ll definitely want to try and reduce that if you can. Temps are good. Maybe switch to feeding every other day until her next clutch. After that cut her feedings back to 3-4 feeders 3 days a week.
No idea about that bump. Do you have a vet visit planned?

Not so sure about the zz plant though. Even though she isn’t a plant eater, I’d hesitate to use it.
I’ve done some research, and the zz has the same toxins as pothos. I have some zz in my male’s cage and have never had an issue (even though he sometimes nibbles). If I do notice significant plant eating, however, I will remove it.
Laying every 5 weeks!? :eek: Is that even possible? Wow...you’ll definitely want to try and reduce that if you can.
I think it may be a condition similar to chronic egg-laying in birds. Right away, she’s dieting...
Do you have a vet visit planned?
I do not, right now, but I’ll monitor the bump, if it doesn’t get better with new husbandry then I will plan one.

Update: the bump is slowly but steadily shrinking. Probably a fatty tumour. I have noticed slight gular edema in her, so she’s off the synthetic vitamins, and into the natural sunlight until it clears up. Also, she has started to shed. Not really important, but exciting!
D5EAFB69-9B79-4133-9437-A1914F016C2A.jpeg

I would reduce basking temp to 78 and make sure your only feeding her 3 days a week 3 feeders not larger then medium size. This will help decrease her laying. Every 5 weeks is freaking crazy.

I am not seeing the edema... Some females have issues with the repashy LoD though. So it may very well be that.

I would reduce basking temp to 78 and make sure your only feeding her 3 days a week 3 feeders not larger then medium size. This will help decrease her laying. Every 5 weeks is freaking crazy.

I am not seeing the edema... Some females have issues with the repashy LoD though. So it may very well be that.
Ok, I will raise the lamp. I feed both Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday or Sunday. 3 medium crix or 2 small superworms (trying for more variety, but I’m in Canada so 🤷‍♀️) for Clea and a little bit more for Leo.

The edema is not always visible, and it is slight, as I mentioned. I will try to get a better photo.

yeah I can see it there...

@JoXie411 which supplement did you put Imelda on after the LoD when she got edema?
I have her on plain calcium and I grind my own Hibiscus Bee pollen vitamins as supplements for her. Imeldas edema is linking to fertility problems so hers comes and goes with her egg production

I have her on plain calcium and I grind my own Hibiscus Bee pollen vitamins as supplements for her. Imeldas edema is linking to fertility problems so hers comes and goes with her egg production
If their cham is laying extremely frequently do you think they could be dealing with similar edema issues from such frequent laying?

If their cham is laying extremely frequently do you think they could be dealing with similar edema issues from such frequent laying?
I also don’t know what the previous owner supplemented with or how often. Over supplementation was my assumption, but I would be interested to learn how her laying cycle would affect it.

I also don’t know what the previous owner supplemented with or how often. Over supplementation was my assumption, but I would be interested to learn how her laying cycle would affect it.
Yeah Joxie knows more about that then I do. I do know that some can develop minor edema with their cycle though. Even when supplementation is perfect. It has do do with their bodies not supplements.

You have had her almost 8 weeks now. Has she laid a clutch with you and when did she lay her last one prior to you with the old owner?

Yeah Joxie knows more about that then I do. I do know that some can develop minor edema with their cycle though. Even when supplementation is perfect. It has do do with their bodies not supplements.

You have had her almost 8 weeks now. Has she laid a clutch with you and when did she lay her last one prior to you with the old owner?
I was told about 5 weeks ago. She laid one with me March 25 and is showing gravid colours again.

It would be a possibility but without knowing full background it’s hard to say. For My instance I know it was due to improper lighting, supplementation, gutloading and over weight problems. As much as I’ve tried everything to make everything perfect there’s nothing I can do to reverse the already problem she has. She receives food once a week and still has giant clutches or temperature is range from 75 to 80 and I still cannot get a clutch to be under 50. Sometimes you just can’t stop the egg process once they are developed and already messed up.

Back
Top Bottom