indoor Wind?

Dankmeleon

In my ongoing pursuit to make my indoor living environment ALMOST as good as my outdoor cham housing, I have come across another interesting point

Obviously the weather can't be great all the time, just most of the time.

but for those times when you have to bring your guys inside, it would seem that being sheltered indoors with no wind could have a devastating effect, not to mention if you were to keep them housed inside forever

back up though I'm not saying that a chameleon can't live without wind, I'm just making a point to say I often see my guy playing in the wind outdoors moving around like the leaves and wat not.

has anyone put any thought into this, my main concern is that my indoor environment is just a lil too still, I wouldn't want to put a fan on them or anything, but perhaps one on a intermittently short timer, that throws an oscillating fan on for a few minutes followed by a light mist?

what do you guys think

i maintain constant airflow in my chameleon room with 1 fan, 2 humidifiers and one of the humidifiers has a fan built in (wick type humidifier) i would not say it is windy but there is constant movement.

with all the water and humidity air that is not moving can be dangerous!!!! i have problems with it and i have a fan running all the time.

drew

thanks for the info, while I'm at it, do chameleons have any correspondance to the moon cycles in the wild?

maybe i'll get a fake moon, or design one and make you guys buy it hehehe

In my ongoing pursuit to make my indoor living environment ALMOST as good as my outdoor cham housing, I have come across another interesting point

Obviously the weather can't be great all the time, just most of the time.

but for those times when you have to bring your guys inside, it would seem that being sheltered indoors with no wind could have a devastating effect, not to mention if you were to keep them housed inside forever

back up though I'm not saying that a chameleon can't live without wind, I'm just making a point to say I often see my guy playing in the wind outdoors moving around like the leaves and wat not.

has anyone put any thought into this, my main concern is that my indoor environment is just a lil too still, I wouldn't want to put a fan on them or anything, but perhaps one on a intermittently short timer, that throws an oscillating fan on for a few minutes followed by a light mist?

what do you guys think

Interesting.
Although I don't necessarily think it is needed ... we certainly don't know everything.
This is the kind of thinking that advances husbandry.
Experiment with it gradually and see if you notice anything of significance. If the conditions are controlled, I don't think you would do the animals any harm.

-Brad

This is actually one of the problems with keeping plants soley in a chameleon's enclosure. The wind is what stimulates a plant to thicken their trunks and branches. Without wind there is little need for a plant to spend energy developing in these areas.

Many people who grow plants with hydroponic (legally and illegally) use fans. The higher yield because of the chemical growth and optimal light everyday can cause many plants to toppel over if they are not forced to develop a stronger structure.

I was actually considering maybe using a computer fan for my jacksons' cage this summer. It doesn't get to hot in my room for them but I think they would like it better. Plenty of write ups on how to do this on various aquarium forums.

But isn't there some air movement in all open spaces? Some houses are drafty compared to others, etc. I wouldn't call this wind, but a draft that keeps air circulating.

yea i've wired up computer fans, it will be interesting to watch this site evolve, the members are starting to get diy on a widespread basis

I've seen people rig up air exchange systems in dart frog terrariums. They usually use computer type fans, with tubing molded to fit the fan and route the air through the tank, with and exaust and all.

It has a few benefits, one being the boost to the CO2 exchange in the tank. Also it helps clear the glass of fog from the high humitity/mistings. Some people like the look of the "wind" moving the plants, so I suppose it could create the same effect in a cham enclosure.

Most professionals agree that it's good for a chameleon's mental state to be able to let their long hair flow in the wind like Fabio.

You will want to watch the temperatures when playing around with powered air circulation. Also, a constant fan could be as much a risk of Respriatory Infection as stagnant air. I would be somewhat hesitant to have the fans running at night either.

Will H. why is their concern using a fan?
Does it matter if it is running on low or high?
When you say their is a rish of URI do you mean on high?
I keep mine running all day on low, maybe 50 rpm.
I use it just to make sure the air is moving inside of the room.

Situations, uses, etc... Too many variables to really say anything specific concerning low or high settings, or RPM. Depends the fan type, the air moved, temperatures, etc.

I have used fans in combination with cool-humidifiers and it was able to drastically change the temperatures in cages.

As for night use, I think it has to do with breathing in colder air than your bodies temperature while you sleep can make you sick, catch a cold, and even have your own respiratory problems. This is why it is written on many Home use fans instructional booklets, to not have ht e fan directed at your face, while you sleep. I assume that there is no reason this could be translated into chameleons as well. I'm not sure the exact science of what happens that causes the problems though.

There would be mush less risk if you had an oscillating room ran, on the other side of the room set on low moving the air enough so that no objects are affected by the breeze (ie. Papers etc.). This will prefent stagnant air easily if you have a mostly screen cage.

it might also want to be noted that fans move a lot of dust around, so make sure to clean your fan and change your air filters

Back
Top Bottom