Incomplete Shedding

Hey all! We're probably just being worried parents, but we want to make sure everything is going smoothly with Mowgli's first shed.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - He's just over 3 months and we've had him for almost three weeks now
Handling - We try to take him out every three days or so for about 10 minuts, but if he's getting really freaked out we leave him in there
Feeding - We feed him 10 crickets every day gutloaded with carrots, lettuce, snap peas, peppers, oranges, apples, which we try to vary every two days or so. He always eats every cricket within 10 minutes of them being in there
Supplements - We do a very light dusting of Repashy Calcium Plus every time we feed him. Probably the equivalent of two pinches each time
Watering - We spray his cage with room temperature filtered water about 5 times a day. We see him lap up plenty of water (mostly in the morning) and he drinks every day
Fecal Description - All droppings have looked identical since we've had him. Brownish lump with a little string of white liquidy stuff coming off
History - Has been historically healthy

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x36 reptibreeze screen cage
Lighting - 60 watt GE clear house light for basking; Zilla Slimline Tropical 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture. Lights are on a timer and switch on at 8 AM and off at 8 PM
Temperature - Basking spot is generally 88 degrees and lower parts of the cage are around 65 to 70
Humidity - Use a temp/humidity gauge to measure it. Humidity is obviously low around basking spot (~30%) and pretty high in other spots (~70-80%). Just misting so often keeps the humidity pretty high
Plants - We have an umbrella plant that he spends most of his time on. Two pothos vines hanging in the corner. Four branches fixed to the cage that we made at home. Used branches and whittled off the bark, baked at 350 for 30 minutes, and washed with dawn soap and let dry before putting in. Have spanish moss hanging from the branches and covering the soil of all the plants
Placement - The cage is on a bureau against a wall about three feet off the ground. At least 4 feet from any windows (windows are always closed anyway)
Location - New Hampshire

Current Problem - Mowgli began his first shed yesterday sometime between 9 and noon yesterday and has finished most of the shed, but some skin remains on his tail and feet. It's been a full day now. I know it can take a bit for them to shed, but I just want to make sure the shedding patterns aren't indicative of any problems. We've been spraying his cage even more since he's started shedding and try not to spray him directly, but to get some mist on him. Also just want to make sure it's normal for him to lay down on the branches as opposed to him keeping his body lifted off of them. He's still very mobile and when we put the crickets in this morning he sprinted around the cage to catch them (except when he realized we were watching... haha) Thanks for the help! It won't let me attach pictures so I'll try to attach them after I make this post.

He should be fine, a lot of chams will rub on plants when they shed to help get it off or puff up to pop a shed. Since they can't really do that with their tail some pieces will be on there longer. So long as it's a tony piece off to the side and not an entire piece at the bottom encasing the tail I wouldn't worry, just monitor it to make sure he does have any circulation cut off.

Back
Top Bottom