incandescent bulbs???

dmaizer

Avid Member
which incandescent bulbs to use(soft white , crystal clear)? im confused, because im using a 40 watt for my baby panther and it has a hot spot and doesn't light up the cage.

I use a soft white one, if you want extra light buy a 6500k plant light and add it to the top. Helps the plants grow and adds some extra light.

Hey, I use Neodymium Light bulbs for my chams. Walmart sells them for about 4-5 dollars and I believe they are 60 watt.

What is a Neodymium Light Bulb?

A neodymium light bulb is an ordinary incandescent light bulb, except that the bulb is made of a special purple glass known as neodymium glass. Basically, it is standard light bulb glass that is "imbued" with the mineral Neodymium. Unlike other light blue filter materials that slightly attenuate a broad range of the spectrum from green through red, neodymium glass has a narrow absorption band in the yellow and yellow-orange. A neodymiub bulb glows with a whiter color like that of some halogen lamps.

The special effect of the neodymium glass filtering is to achieve more red and green output than usual for a light source of a given brightness and overall color. This causes red and green objects to look slightly brighter and more intensely colored than usual. The "triphosphor" type fluorescent lamps, including most compact fluorescent lamps, have a similar effect except that the fluorescents make bright pure reds look slightly orangish.

Neodymium bulbs are dimmer than unfiltered incandescent bulbs of the same wattage and life expectancy. Neodymium bulbs do not have increased output at any wavelength, except for an infrared band around 1064 nM where neodymium glass fluoresces. Basically its easier on their eyes versus just a plain incandescent bulb. Its simulates natural sunlight as far as uva is concerned.
Anyone else use these?

i use them, but i did not realize they were sold at walmart

are they in the pet section or the lighting section?

They are in the light section and its labeled reptile rays and it has a picture of a chameleon/lizard on the box. I didnt either until a guy asked me if I needed help, I told him what I was looking for and he pointed that bulb out and for about $4.58 at least it is here in KY.

I find that the 50w haloden PAR20 floods do well for on cage use and that the Spots do well when you have some room to move the light up or want a more direct area of light. if you buy the 6 pack it's $30 vs. $7 each.... The Home Depot by me only sells the 6 pack with flood style lenses..... Sooooo we get sneaky and open a couple spot lamp boxes and swap out the floods for spots.... :eek: Only done this once....... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom