In the mood for discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
I know this has nothing to do with chameleon's but upon searching for info about the legalization of cannabis in Canada, Google pulled up a few threads on this site. My question is what you guys think the rules and regulations for the sale, control and enforcement of the use of Cannabis should be in Canada. I know that it will be more than likely treated like tobacco and alcohol in the sense that it will not be legal for a business to sell Cannabis alongside alcohol or tobacco, much like how a business sell tobbaco and alcohol today in Canada. In other words, in Canada, if you go to a 7-11, all you can buy is tobacco products and your typical corner store products, where as in the United States, you can buy tobacco and alcohol at a 7-11. Mainly posting this because a lot of my friends and family have discussed the implications of legalizing Cannabis in Canada and it is always a very interesting discussion. I know that the individual provinces and territories will be allowed to determine what the legal age limit it is for it, but I want to know what you guys will think will be the status quo for Canada in general. Also realized that I should have posted this in the lizard lounge most likely.

Last edited:
I know this has nothing to do with chameleon's but upon searching for info about the legalization of cannabis in , Google pulled up a few threads on this site. My question is what you guys think the rules and regulations for the sale, control and enforcement of the use of Cannabis should be in Canada. I know that it will be more than likely treated like tobacco and alcohol in the sense that it will not be legal for a business to sell Cannabis alongside alcohol or tobacco, much like how a business sell tobbaco and alcohol today in Canada. In other words, in Canada, if you go to a 7-11, all you can buy is tobacco products and your typical corner store products, where as in the United States, you can buy tobacco and alcohol at a 7-11. Mainly posting this because a lot of my friends and family have discussed the implications of legalizing Cannabis in Canada and it is always a very interesting discussion.

You can actually buy alcohol and tobacco in the same place in Quebec and Newfoundland. Not sure about other provinces. As for leagalizing marijuana I think they should just keep it illegal. Gunna be way way worse when run by the government. And let's face it. Most Canadians already treat it as if its legal. Gunna be way more restrictions under "legalizing" then there currently is. Not that they are going to "legalize" it. It's just going to be more regulated so that even more of our money goes into the greedy politicians pockets and the avaerage person gets poorer.

You can actually buy alcohol and tobacco in the same place in Quebec and Newfoundland. Not sure about other provinces. As for leagalizing marijuana I think they should just keep it illegal. Gunna be way way worse when run by the government. And let's face it. Most Canadians already treat it as if its legal. Gunna be way more restrictions under "legalizing" then there currently is. Not that they are going to "legalize" it. It's just going to be more regulated so that even more of our money goes into the greedy politicians pockets and the avaerage person gets poorer.

Weird, I didn't know you could buy tobacco and alcohol in the same place in Newfoundland and Quebec. In Alberta, it is illegal to sell alcohol and tobacco at the same establishment I believe, although you do see remanents of when it was still allowed in some bars. And I know that it is going to be legalized as one of the promises that Justin Trudeau was voted in on was the legalization of Cannabis. It also does provide a challenge for police and the RCMP right now as it is on its way to being legalized, so how do they treat it right now? And in response to the cost, my girlfriend is a medical Cannabis user and she pays significantly less than a person would buying illegal cannabis, so I believe that the prices for Cannabis when it is legalized will be lower than the illegal, Cannabis. In addition, if the legalized Cannabis was more expensive than the illegal Cannabis, people would obviously still buy the illegal Cannabis, which would make legalizing it pointless in essence. I believe looking at history, is generally the price of something that is legal was much higher before it was legal. I believe right now the average price for illegal Cannabis is $10 per gram. My girlfriend's medical Cannabis is usually about $250 for 30 grams or less, depending on which one she decides to order.

Last edited:
Weird, I didn't know you could buy tobacco and alcohol in the same place in Newfoundland and Quebec. In Alberta, it is illegal to sell alcohol and tobacco at the same establishment I believe, although you do see remanents of when it was still allowed in some bars. And I know that it is going to be legalized as one of the promises that Justin Trudeau was voted in on was the legalization of Cannabis. It also does provide a challenge for police and the RCMP right now as it is on its way to being legalized, so how do they treat it right now?

Well true legalization would mean that we could all grow sell and use it however we wish. Under the government "legalization" you will be allowed to grow 4 plants per household. But you cannot sell it only give it away. It will still be illegal to make any sort of extract or food with it. The only people that can sell it will be million airs who were hand chosen by the government because they are the only ones that could afford to build the ridiculously strict regulated grow facilities. Most of the people investing in these companies are American so we are giving our money to already rich Americans.

Even though you will be allowed to grow 4 plants they say that you can only have a certain amount. How are you supposed to regulate how much you get off a plant?

As for right now the cops don't really do much unless you are growing a lot. Selling a lot. You get a lot of complaints about you. Or your a dispensary. They see the dispensarys as encroaching on there future business.

One of the most rediculos things I have heard from the legalization talks was that the cops wanted to push back the date of legalizing because they don't have enough time to train there officers to recognize high drivers. As if they havnt had to time to train them in the past 95 years that it has been illegal.

Well true legalization would mean that we could all grow sell and use it however we wish. Under the government "legalization" you will be allowed to grow 4 plants per household. But you cannot sell it only give it away. It will still be illegal to make any sort of extract or food with it. The only people that can sell it will be million airs who were hand chosen by the government because they are the only ones that could afford to build the ridiculously strict regulated grow facilities. Most of the people investing in these companies are American so we are giving our money to already rich Americans.

Even though you will be allowed to grow 4 plants they say that you can only have a certain amount. How are you supposed to regulate how much you get off a plant?

As for right now the cops don't really do much unless you are growing a lot. Selling a lot. You get a lot of complaints about you. Or your a dispensary. They see the dispensarys as encroaching on there future business.

One of the most rediculos things I have heard from the legalization talks was that the cops wanted to push back the date of legalizing because they don't have enough time to train there officers to recognize high drivers. As if they havnt had to time to train them in the past 95 years that it has been illegal.

Using the medical Cannabis as a model, I believe a medical Cannabis user, if they get approved, are allowed to grow a maximum of four plants, it might be two, but the plants are only allowed to grow to a meter in height or something like that, restrictions on how big the plant is allowed to grow. And my understanding is that actually a large majority of the legal growing operations are owned and operated by Canadian individuals, although they may have American investors, I haven't looked up enough about it to know. But I do know that in Calgary there are many dispensaries that have been built and are going to open when it is legalized. I also know from my girlfriend being a medical Cannabis user that there are limitations on how much she is allowed to have with her at any point in time which is 30 grams, so I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a similar limitation implemented when it is legalized. She also has to have it in the packaging it was received in so it can be identified.

Last edited:

Coming from an American, this fact pisses me off so much. It was only ever illegal to hold back the mexican and black people from selling it. Now that it is legal, they are making sure the people that profit are millionaires(to grow it legally here, you need to already have some crazy amount of money for a license). Most of the people here smoke it, from cops to priests and everyone in between, but then we have no issue throwing people in jail over it. Helps the privatized prisons eh... Pray for America. Sorry I could rant all day hah.

Btw this should probably be under the lounge section

Coming from an American, this fact pisses me off so much. It was only ever illegal to hold back the mexican and black people from selling it. Now that it is legal, they are making sure the people that profit are millionaires(to grow it legally here, you need to already have some crazy amount of money for a license). Most of the people here smoke it, from cops to priests and everyone in between, but then we have no issue throwing people in jail over it. Helps the privatized prisons eh... Pray for America. Sorry I could rant all day hah.

Yeah, I realized that after I made the post. I don't know how to move it. I think that @Brad will have to move it as I can't edit the thread anymore. And get me started on America, it annoys me that Trump basically demolished obamacare which was the only thing similar in the states to the universal Healthcare we enjoy up here in Canada.

Last edited:
Using the medical Cannabis as a model, I believe a medical Cannabis user, if they get approved, are allowed to grow a maximum of four plants, it might be two, but the plants are only allowed to grow to a meter in height or something like that, restrictions on how big the plant is allowed to grow. And my understanding is that actually a large majority of the legal growing operations are owned and operated by Canadian individuals, although they may have American investors, I haven't looked up enough about it to know. But I do know that in Calgary there are many dispensaries that have been built and are going to open when it is legalized. I also know from my girlfriend being a medical Cannabis user that there are limitations on how much she is allowed to have with her at any point in time which is 30 grams, so I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a similar limitation implemented when it is legalized. She also has to have it in the packaging it was received in so it can be identified.

I'm not sure but I believe under the medical system the amount of plants you can grow depends on your daily prescription amount. Unless they changed that when they changed it to the current medical system.

I'm not sure how they could restrict how tall the plant grows. Considering that when it's budding it can double or triple its height.

Every province will be creating there own system for distributing. In Ontario they are build stores that will be run by the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario). They are also going to have it for medical patients at shoppers drug mart.

As for the restricted amount you got it right. You will only be allowed to have 30 grams on you. And if you give someone some you can only give up to 30 grams (at a time).

It wasnt makes illegal to stop them from selling it. It was made illegal because William Randolph Hearst was feeling threatened by the hemp industry making hemp paper and taking business from his wood pulp companies. He also owned newspapers and started printing propaganda about how the Mexicans and blacks were using "marijuana" and raping and killing white women. Marijuana was actual a Mexican slang word for wild tobacco and most people had no idea that they were fighting to make canabis and effectively hemp illegal.

it's legal here in co. I personally stopped smoking a long time ago. but I honestly think it's awesome that it's legal. there have been little to no negative side effects, they tax it like crazy and make millions off it that can be put into the state. and everything else is just normal. people that are going to smoke are going to smoke, might as well boost the economy in the process. rather than having it go to the drug dealers, gangs, and cartels that used to control the money

It wasnt makes illegal to stop them from selling it. It was made illegal because William Randolph Hearst was feeling threatened by the hemp industry making hemp paper and taking business from his wood pulp companies. He also owned newspapers and started printing propaganda about how the Mexicans and blacks were using "marijuana" and raping and killing white women. Marijuana was actual a Mexican slang word for wild tobacco and most people had no idea that they were fighting to make canabis and effectively hemp illegal.

Aren't you thinking of Anslinger? And the 'loco weed' Also they called it mariguana apparently. And it was strongly coined as a dangerous drug after the depression when a large amount of mexicans immigrated. Now that's according to what I have read, I'm not claiming to be an expert. But everything aside. All signs point to it being racially/class motivated

it's legal here in co. I personally stopped smoking a long time ago. but I honestly think it's awesome that it's legal. there have been little to no negative side effects, they tax it like crazy and make millions off it that can be put into the state. and everything else is just normal. people that are going to smoke are going to smoke, might as well boost the economy in the process. rather than having it go to the drug dealers, gangs, and cartels that used to control the money

You're totally right about all that and I agree. The thing is, if lower income people were legally allowed to grow it, it would work just as well. They distract us with it's success so no one complains, but it's just another way for the rich to get richer.

Drugs, cartels, and the governments are all part of the same circle. It's the way of the world :rolleyes:

Aren't you thinking of Anslinger? And the 'loco weed' Also they called it mariguana apparently. And it was strongly coined as a dangerous drug after the depression when a large amount of mexicans immigrated. Now that's according to what I have read, I'm not claiming to be an expert. But everything aside. All signs point to it being racially/class motivated

Harry anslinger was the first head of the bureau of narcotics when it formed. It was because Henry ford was trying to make engines that ran on hemp bio diesel and the oil companies didn't like it. And because William Randolph Hearst with this paper company.

http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/pot/blunderof37.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom