I'm going to Maui (and I'm going to go chameleon hunting)

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
This March as a graduation gift I'm going to Maui to spend sometime with my god parents. I'm going to the beaches, taste the coffee, go fishing and just live it up in the tropical sun. However people outside to this forums would not be known to this fact that I'm going chameleon hunting as well. Most people here on these forums know that there is Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus on the island of Maui. However as of two years ago it is possible to locate Chamaeleo calyptratus on Maui as well. If I can locate any I'm going to post pictures.

My brother and I are still planning on going to Madagascar sometime soon. It looks as though we are going to go on one of the Tanalahorizon expeditions.

http://www.tanalahorizon.com/en/madagascar-travel/specials/return-to-island-of-dragons/

I am happy for you Jeremy, finally graduating is a real good feeling. Have a wonderful time on your visit to Maui. I like Maui but my heart belongs to the big island. I will look forward to your cham pictures, I know you will find chams to share with us.

I am happy for you Jeremy, finally graduating is a real good feeling. Have a wonderful time on your visit to Maui. I like Maui but my heart belongs to the big island. I will look forward to your cham pictures, I know you will find chams to share with us.

Sounds like a great trip! Don't forget the Phelsuma's, too! Hopefully you find a good Jackson's population. Unfortunately, Ch. calyptratus hasn't been seen there in almost 5 years according to this article I saw a few weeks ago: http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...ation-with-no-sightings-since--08.html?nav=10

Thanks graduation is huge especially after all the problems (medical) I had during my undergraduate studies. I have got two Masters programs line up one at New Mexico State and the other at UCSB:D. Meaning college is not over yet. Plus I'm still working with a couple of professors with some private studies/programs that probably is going to last a long time.

This actually could be the start of something neat in Maui. My godparents are retiring and are building the retirement house on the island of Maui. Meaning I'm going to have plenty of opportunities to go chameleon hunting. I think night hunting is going to be the best technique.

The Madagascar expedition is going to be epic. A local chameleon friend of mine says the Usambara's Mountains of Tanzania is a great to visit too especially if your a chameleon fan. As well I think Cameroon, Kenya and South Africa would great places to go chameleon hunting as well.

Jeremy

Actually this Saturday is bigger. I'm finally graduating with my Bachelors degree from UC Davis.

Thanks Maui is going to be great.

Hey, congratulations! I'll be doing the exact same thing tomorrow, finally! Except my graduation present might be a trip to Paris with my boyfriend to meet his family, so no chameleons for me. lol So your trip sounds amazing!

Congrats

When I graduted High School over 20 years ago my dad promised to send me to Hawaii. Well he passed in 2003 and I still haven't gone. :(
I envy you have a great time. Take lots of pictures so I can live vicarously through your eyes...

Congrats on your graduation both of you, Motherlode and Olimpia! What an achievement for you both!!! Sounds like you both have exciting trips planned and I must say I'm envious! :)

Hey, congratulations! I'll be doing the exact same thing tomorrow, finally! Except my graduation present might be a trip to Paris with my boyfriend to meet his family, so no chameleons for me. lol So your trip sounds amazing!

Thanks and congratulations to you too.

congrats on graduation!

i can't wait to see me some pics of maui :cool:

Thanks I'm looking forward to going hunting for them as well.

When I graduted High School over 20 years ago my dad promised to send me to Hawaii. Well he passed in 2003 and I still haven't gone. :(
I envy you have a great time. Take lots of pictures so I can live vicarously through your eyes...

I hope you make it to Hawaii one of these days. I'm going to post many pictures when I return.

Congrats on your graduation both of you, Motherlode and Olimpia! What an achievement for you both!!! Sounds like you both have exciting trips planned and I must say I'm envious! :)

Thanks again:D.

Dude, you are going to love it there. It would not surprise to read later that you decided to stay there. The people are laid back and easy going and don't mind telling you where to go and what to see. I am sure you are going to take the road to Hana, but don't stop there, go all the way around the island. Just make sure you start the trip very early and bring snacks and water with you. When you see the "get your food now, because there are not any food services the next 30 miles" bullshit! There are a bunch of little stores and a chicken barbecue stand with one of the best tasting chicken I ever had. It took us about fifteen hours to do it. But of course we stop at every other waterfall and the botanical gardens. The rangers there told me that you can see J. X. earlier in the day, as they go to the tip of branches trying to catch some sun. Also the towns of Makalao and Pukalani are good spots where you could find them. Congratulation on your graduation! Stay away from the poi!

Last edited:
Dude, you are going to love it there. It would not surprise to read later that you decided to stay there. The people are laid back and easy going and don't mind telling you where to go and what to see. I am sure you are going to take the road to Hana, but don't stop there, go all the way around the island. Just make sure you start the trip very early and bring snacks and water with you. When you see the "get your food now, because there are not any food services the next 30 miles" bullshit! There are a bunch of little stores and a chicken barbecue stand with one of the best tasting chicken I ever had. It took us about fifteen hours to do it. But of course we stop at every other waterfall and the botanical gardens. The rangers there told me that you can see J. X. earlier in the day, as they go to the tip of branches trying to catch some sun. Also the towns of Makalao and Pukalani are good spots where you could find them. Congratulation on your graduation! Stay away from the poi!

Thanks for the tips!

Next Tuesday then I'm going to be in Maui and I have got the opportunity to go chameleon hunting for Jacksons Chameleons. The popular word is the West Maui Mountains in the Makalao area however you have got to be careful as most of the property is private. If I locate any chameleon expect pictures.

You make sure you have a wonderful time, chameleons or not. You sure deserve it at this point.

LOL and Thanks Laurie! My god parents just retired there meaning I most probably am going to visit my god parents every couple of years. This visit is during whale watching season and I'm looking forward to tuna fishing for fresh sashimi too. Pictures lots of pictures..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom