im back.....(hawaii help needed)

im faster

ok so im on the hunt (literly)for a new chameleon...

i havent had ome fir some time now...
so im out looking for a new one... these things are hard to find

anyone from hawaii
got any places to look...
tried pali and roundtop found nothing but bug bites...

When you go Tantalus you really have to take one of those trail heads to find them. The bamboo forest's have choke.

Other good spots are out in Waimanalo.

Last edited:
ok so just stop on the side of the road... i remember seeing the bamboo forest... i went to the look out...

any ideas on where to look?

Yeah, you could just stop. But the marked trails may be better. Are you spotting or netting? If you are netting I would recommend hiking a trail like 1-2 miles in. Get on a hillside where you can access the 30-40' spots and gently use the net to rummage up some movement. A 20' extension is probably good.

brah... wow.. i just looked for um.. never tried a net...
the bamboo forest.. isnt that just along the road on tantilus

Think like 3 parts on the road you see it. If you dont spot any, a net can be handy. Seen guys come out with plenty of em using nets. But guess if its just 1 or 2 no need.

well i only want 1.... but i want a really blue one... i think.. im gonna be picky...

how do you catch um using a net? and how do i get to the bamboo forest lol.. is there a special place to go...

im going back behind pearl city high in a few...see how i do out there...

You have to take one of the trails to get into the bamboo forest. Not sure what the name is, but on the drive up you will see one just before the bamboo. You may have to hike in 3-4 miles though and make sure its not pig hunting season. Sometimes the hunters mark the trails with colored tape which is cool.

With the net its more of a guessing game. But you can reach anywhere from 10-40' depending on the incline and length of the extension. You kinda just poke around and stir up movement, then net it.

Have you tried going at night? That's a real good way to find them especially at roundtop. Bring a flashlight cuz they turn real bright green and can be easy to see. Plus they move from the flashlight beam.

Not sure on the total legality of it. If there are laws against it, they are not enforced. Netters catch them and sell to the pet stores all the time. The only real laws they have (or enforce) are about transportation and importing/exporting. They really dont want people releasing them into the wild where they dont currently populate. There is a guy out in Waimanalo that released a bunch into the yard (not his property im sure) and now sells them from the street. They discourage hoarding.

Some people see Jackson's as a problem in the islands. Since they are killing off a lot of the endemic insects and for the most part do not have many natural predators. Not sure if the mongoose eats lizard or not. Plus they ship a crapload of them to the mainland each year.

Yah birds. I did say they dont have too many predators...not that they didn't have any. :) Wasn't sure on the mongoose.

ok so i went behing pearl city high shcool.. and nothing.. i went at dusk with a flash light.. but no luck... i really suck at this

Forgot the other predator - PETSTORES haha. Poor chams are crammed in as many as they can into cages. I stopped going to petstores here because it was to painful to see em all sickly :(:mad:

Went into pets discount on ward to buy crix yesterday morning. Two dead jacksons just laying on the bottom. Maybe a 60gal reptarium filled with like 20+. :( :(

I would love to open a small reptile only store specializing in jacksons care and setups. Just have like 10 setups going with maybe 2-3 jacksons each. I asked a store owner the other day about silkies and he said that jacksons cant eat them because they cant digest them. Wowza. I feel like the common hawaii owner has a very very poor understanding of the care. My neighbors trip out that I hand mist my outdoor male 2-3x a day. They think i am "pampering" him.

All the good employees left that place. I use to go there exclusivly because they always DID carry silks. I just went there the other day to say goodbye to them (I became really good friends with the owner and kids that worked there) and it was just some random people working there now. There must have been at least 25 males in that cage surrounding a EXTREMLY stressed and dehydrated female, it was awful :(:(

Cammie, can you recommend a good shop? I have yet to go to a local shop that knows anything about proper chameleon care. Have been to the one by Kahala mall, Pets Discount on ward, and the one in Kalihi by zippy's and the dmv. All are complete suckage!

It's weird. They sell the books on cham care, but not one of the employees knows sack jhit about them.

Forgot the other predator - PETSTORES haha. Poor chams are crammed in as many as they can into cages. I stopped going to petstores here because it was to painful to see em all sickly :(:mad:

pet store in kahala.. forgot the name..

actually had them 1 in a cage... AND had them in a open air cage.. with dripper and uvb

yeah the one in kahala is the best...

kam... yoiu ever go hunting...

i went to the bamboo forest.. TONS of guava and fruit flies....
NO chameleons.. looked for hours.. during the day though...

i realy wanna find one.. but sick of not...

Back
Top Bottom