I'm a horrible Cham mommy :(

I commend you for not just having him euthanized. It will be extra work, but from what I've read in the other threads, people are able to nurse them back to health and they ultimately are able to learn to feed without their tongues. Check out the thread titled "freak accident".

Your thorough description does make me wonder if the chameleons experiencing this issue are not getting their tongues cut off. It seems to be a common thread that each owner says something cut off the tongue but they have no idea what it was. I wonder if dehydration could cause the tongue tissue to lose it's elasticity and break off after they shoot it out.

Bless you heart, and your chameleon too!! I know it's devastating when you realize there is a problem, only too late. I know how it feels, something similar happened to me, and I'd found the forums too late. No on here even the most experienced members is born with any of the important knowledge it takes to keep a chameleon alive and healthy. Many here also learned important husbandry and health issues to late to save their first cham. All you can do is commit yourself to do better and read, learn, read, and learn some more. When you do, it not only helps you and your pet, but inspires you to help others people/members who need your help and support. Thanks for sharing your story. I know it so hard to admit to everyone possible mistakes; I did it too and try to share my unfortunate story with my first chameleon as well to help others. We only learn by educating our selfs and by doing. Your very dedicated that is obvious! When we know better we do better, right? Right! Keep on, keep'n on!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

It's a linear bulb.

And yes I read the freak accident post as well, several times actually lol. That's where I learned what I needed to do.

Here are some pics of him and my other guys. He's still hanging in there. I just finished feeding and hydrating him.

Senegal (M) poor baby :(

017.jpg

016.jpg

Graceful (M) hanging out in the new 3 foot pothos plant, well worth the $10 bucks I paid for it!

001-4.jpg

Veiled (F) going through her 3rd shed, this is the same cham in my avatar 2 month later

006-1.jpg

014.jpg

Pygmys (M)

002-2.jpg

I think you did a great job and have a big heart. I was guessing maybe they're getting their tongues wrapped around something and not able to retract them finally just biting them off. Could be possible.

He is a totally different Cham today. As soon as I misted he started drinking off the cage and leaves so I turned his dripper on and he drank from it too. His eyes are open and he's roaming all over the cage. I really think I made the right choice in trying to save him. I'm going to try and see if he will eat a wax worm or two. Wish me luck :)

This is a horrible, horrible thing to happen to any cham, but when I read it was a Senegal, it really hit close to home. You've done a great job with him and I'm glad he's feeling better! We'll all be thinking about him and sending him good thoughts! :)

I just wanted to let everyone know he is going to the vet at 11am tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should ask for? He is getting a fecal as well.

So I took him to the vet today and honestly it was insane. The vet knew NOTHING about chameleons and I mean nothing lol. I told him everything that was going on and what I had read about it and what I needed. He wouldn't do a fecal on him because he said it's hard to see parasites in a small dogs poop let alone something this small. He also didn't want to do sub-Q fluids because of the stress it would cause since he is so small, he told me just to do more pedialyte. He weighed him and he weighs a hole 4 grams. He gave me liquid Baytril, diluted 10x, 0.01 ml daily for 10 days and Panacur 0.01 ml one every 7 days for 3 weeks just incase there are parasites. He also gave me plenty of extra and said if I need more for my other guys to let him know.

He said I knew what I was doing and to keep it up. He actually said I was doing an amazing job being how active the little guy is despite everything else.

Oh and just for those of you who are wondering the total bill was $61.70 including the meds but I did get a $20 discount.

Glad to hear it went well even though he didnt know much on chams..I would only do baytril for 2 weeks..since it is VERY harsh on there little bodies..not sure about pancur? never used it..i'm sure someone else could give you advice on that. I was glad to read that you looked at my thread and it helped you out..only think I would like to ask is your little cham doing any open mouth breathing?? aside from that sounds like your doing a great job! Keep your head up..I know it's a long hard road with these guys!

Kayla

Ok thanks! The Baytril is for 10 days and the panacur is 1 dose a week for 3 weeks. And no open mouth breathing or head up in the air and unless he is swallowing. No pops or cracks or mucus either.

All I can offer is I would not use both meds at once. I would use the baytril, but be careful because he will need as much extra water as you can get him to take. baytril is hard on the kidneys, so that is why I suggest extra water. Good Luck!!:):)

Ok thanks! The Baytril is for 10 days and the panacur is 1 dose a week for 3 weeks. And no open mouth breathing or head up in the air and unless he is swallowing. No pops or cracks or mucus either.
Wow! Your cham weighs 4 grams...cute! I'm thinking my cham's poop weighs that much! LOL:D

Thanks Laurie I was wondering about that. I just gave him his meds and fed him and an extra dose of pedalyte. I'm going to give him some more fluids before I leave for work and the again when I get home. I think it's getting the idea of the syringe because now all I have to do is rub it on his mouth and he opens his mouth and takes it lol.

LOL @ Donna yah he is a tiny little guy. My best guess is about 4-5 months old but I'm really not sure.

one thing with watering, u do need to be extra carefull as his air ducts are prob exposed and if you get water in there that could lead to pnemonia, from waht i understand anyway

Well this little guy is still hanging in there are doing well. I'm just curious as I know there is no way he is getting what he needs from the baby food I'm feeding him, is there anything else I can syringe feed him? I've tried offering him wax worms but he just looks at them like he really wants to eat it but doesn't know how. And he has totally gotten the idea of the syringe lol. I guess he knows it means food now.

Back
Top Bottom