If you ever have fungus gnats...i have a solution

Hello, i have been having fungus gnats in my pygmys cage and it is very very annoying. I know they may not be harmful but they bother me because the chameleons are in my room. I used something i found online today and in 10 minutes i had a bunch of baby gnats in it. What you do is take a plastic cup, fill it with, vinegar or wine(i chose vinegar),add a little bit of dish soap, mix it, and stick it in the cage. But make sure you are there watching just in case your chameleons get curious. Hope this helps. Now let kill this little pests!

I have used the same method for gnats and it worked well. I got the idea from my mother who had been doing this for years when there were gnats around the fruit basket in the kitchen.

I am definitely going to try this!! I was wondering how in the world to get rid of them!!!

EDIT: What type of vinegar or wine... white??

I filled all of my house plants with sand on top of the dirt it seems that they can't get to the dirt to reproduce and I haven't seen many hear lately!I think I have seen 1 or 2 of them this week when I used to squish about 10 a day. I also used reptile sand to do this just n case I want to use them in my cage.

I am definitely going to try this!! I was wondering how in the world to get rid of them!!!

EDIT: What type of vinegar or wine... white??
Often cider vinegar is suggested.

From my FAQ:

I have gnats! What should I do?
Use beneficial nematodes found here:
http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com...-nematodes.htm
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/be...nematodes.html
There are less expensive, more effective products for gnats such as Gnatrol.
Or you can set out soapy water, cider vinegar, let plants fully dry out, etc..

:p

I dont think i would like to look at them aaha

nhoj64650- Sand would work to.

Clea, they are microscopic. You will need to have a microscope to see the nematodes. It is very effective and they will keep killing for 2 years. This is my second year. so far, no trace of a single gnat in the enclosure and none of my chameleon is attacked by the nematodes.

Oh sorry. i thought they were visible. They are a bit pricey though. I changed the soil today and added hydroballs at the bottom for drainage

Oh sorry. i thought they were visible. They are a bit pricey though. I changed the soil today and added hydroballs at the bottom for drainage

yes, they are pricey.
one really small sachet is enough to treat a whole backyard actually. So, if you guys decided to ever use it, I would recommend splitting the cost.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to keep this in mind..I just completely changed out the soil to try and get rid of the annoying little guys and haven't seen any since. I'm hoping they done return!

dont know what the cost is but all of us that are generally local to one another should get some and split cost....

Thanks for the info! I'll have to keep this in mind..I just completely changed out the soil to try and get rid of the annoying little guys and haven't seen any since. I'm hoping they done return!
The only downside to that is shocking and potentially killing the plants.

Back
Top Bottom