Thrips and maybe fungus gnats

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I am dealing with either thrips or fungus gnats in my plants and in the chameleon enclosure are being killed. I find a company that sells swirskii mite, they are predatory mites. also I believe Amblyseius cucumeris, Hypoaspis. Them being them being mites freaks me the fuck out cause I dont want to let lose something in my jacksons cages that would harm the, like you know the reptil mits. Also orius beetle, if it could bite them while sleeping or something. Does anyone have any inside if its safe to use in my animals enclosure. Also would they kill the springtails or the isopods in the walking stick terrariums?

Can't offer any advice on the mites

However I can share what has worked for me.... I've got a out a dozen or so plants in the enclosure and I've definitely had my battles with pests
I normally do a mantis ooth (seasonal items so when I can get my hands on them) when the gnats get out of control they then end up as feeders and don't really escape much .... I thought about using Nematodes but feared for me clean up crews life. It's tough to manage but scale back on misting and watering. Try to swap out any soil that you possibly can and then get something to cover it. If you break the life cycle it makes the task more manageable and comes down to a waiting game more than a war of attrition.

I've used carnivorous plants as well with mixed results but do love my nepenthes in the enclosure it loves it in there as well.

Sundews and such on the outside of the cage can help if you want to go that route.

However I can share what has worked for me.... I've got a out a dozen or so plants in the enclosure and I've definitely had my battles with pests
I normally do a mantis ooth (seasonal items so when I can get my hands on them) when the gnats get out of control they then end up as feeders and don't really escape much .... I thought about using Nematodes but feared for me clean up crews life. It's tough to manage but scale back on misting and watering. Try to swap out any soil that you possibly can and then get something to cover it. If you break the life cycle it makes the task more manageable and comes down to a waiting game more than a war of attrition.

I've used carnivorous plants as well with mixed results but do love my nepenthes in the enclosure it loves it in there as well.

Sundews and such on the outside of the cage can help if you want to go that route.
every spring I have an ootheca in every enclosure 👍 the survivors that my chams dont eat make it to round 2 in my planters outside. I love mantids almost as much as chameleons so it warms my heart to see one reach maturity and hanging out in my garden. I name them Rambo cause they've cleared the gauntlet. I've had 3 Rambos show up on my canopy or on one of my outdoor plants.

thank you for the tip. I don´t believe we have them here thou.

ANyone one else with inside of the species I mentioned for controll of thrips ang gnats in chameleon enclosures?

Can you share a good close-up shot? I am learning about fungus gnats and a possible solution, but never heard of thrips until now. Looks nasty.
Thanks!
Neem Cake is a fertilizer, which is supposed to eliminate fungus gnats at the larval stage. BUT- have to find out if okay for plants in Chameleon environment. My purpose is for mini moss terrarium (new thing I am getting into).
These videos might help.

Back
Top Bottom