I'd like to introduce myself

Dr O

Veterinarian
hello everyone!

i've been trolling for a looong time and just recently became more active in posting, and certainly hope that i continue to become more active in the community.

i'm a veterinarian who has practiced for about 15 years at this point. like most everyone here, i grew up with a snake in one hand and a frog in the other. so needless to say, i did as much exotic animal work as i could throughout my life and vet school. from swimming with beluga whales at Sea World, drawing blood from gators at Gatorland, ARAV conferences around the country, trekking the Peruvian Amazonian jungles in the middle of the night (trying not to get bitten by the fer-de-lances which were everywhere), helping Abaxis come out with their blood analyzers for reptiles by drawing blood from over 100 "2-step snakes" so they could have normal values for various species, and of course all of the medicine and surgery that i've done in practice. and a lifetime of critters passing though terrariums galore.......you know how it is!

anyhoo, a few years ago i was up in NY in my own practice when i was acutely struck with an exceedingly rare neurologic disease. long story short, i could not practice full-time veterinary medicine anymore; my body just couldn't handle it. so, my wife and i packed up, moved back to Florida, and here I will be teaching at a vet tech program, starting up a housecall herptile veterinary practice, and breeding chams!! hopefully, it should be less stressful on my body and i should be able to handle it all.

the breeding has taken off quickly and i've quickly outgrown our lanai space, so we're currently building a large outdoor encosure in the back yard to house the brood while protecting them from predators and each other, but allowing the natural Florida climate to do its thing. needless to say, i'm proud of the care that i've been giving my critters re: nutrition/lighting/caging/insect care/etc. derived from my medical experiences, and hope that my selection of high-quality chams will really bring several beautiful lines into the field. i've owned panthers for a long time and meant to work only with them, but carpets have stolen my heart so they're here too. we have about 160 fertile eggs incubating right now, and the first hatchlings should be here within the month.

if things continue as i hope they do, i would love to sponsor this site and support it as much as i can. i have no problems at all helping any members with any medical issues, but y'all know by now the value of physical exams and labwork, so please understand that much of the time all i may be able to do is still advise a veterinary visit. of course if you live local enough, i'll have my mobile business up and going within a few months.

i have bought some of my chams and supplies from members here, and i thank you for that. before long, i'm sure that i'll be regularly posting in the classifieds as well, as well as exhibiting at various local shows/expos.

here are some of my gang--i'm also an amateur phtographer who has been shown in NY, but these are all just snapshots. right now high-end photography of the gang has not been a priority. i hope you enjoy seeing these, and i look forward to making a lot of new friends and aquantinces!!

Kevin (Dr. O-)

(a bigger set of pix can be downloaded from my Dropbox account (anyone want their free storage by using me as a referral?) at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10891932/cham pix.zip?dl=1

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 147
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 134
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 120
hi there welcome to the forum you have quite the crew going on love the carpet are you breedig them aswell? i think you will like this site who know maybe you will learn something too!lol welcome to you and your chams:):):)

Hi

Nice to meet you and your beautiful Chams. I am also new here. I hope to get to know you in the future. I have 25+ years exp in exotic parrots. But am in awe of these little guys and ready to start my own little household of Chams. I have a veiled I rescued from a pet shop recently and am getting ready to get my first panther from a breeder in a few weeks I hope... (My 41st bday present to myself!!!!)

Hello and welcome to the forum :) That's quite an introduction, those photos are excellent - I particularly enjoyed no.15 of the blue boy enjoying his dragonfly..........

Hello and welcome to the forum :) That's quite an introduction, those photos are excellent - I particularly enjoyed no.15 of the blue boy enjoying his dragonfly..........

i LOVED that! he nailed it with his tongue, and as it came in he just whipped up has hand and caught it. sat there and gnawed it's head for a bit1:) looked like a true Godzilla moment!

Welcome Dr. O!!! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do! I loved your bio...you have done a lot!! As a CVT here in Minnesota, I wish you luck in your endeavors to teach new techs!! I love my job, I hope your students will as well! You have quite the ambitious schedule...I hope to get to chat with you more (hopefully just about critters in general and NOT with sick cham questions!!) :D

i LOVED that! he nailed it with his tongue, and as it came in he just whipped up has hand and caught it. sat there and gnawed it's head for a bit1:) looked like a true Godzilla moment!

Yeah, the fact he's holding it with his hand really makes the picture :)

Hi! Welcome! It seems like you are going to be an expert from the get go here. I love all your pictures, but that one where he's holding the dragon fly is just amazing. I know it's not a serious photographer thing to do, but it begs to a) be captioned and b) be photoshopped....

And that carpet is just beautiful....

Welcome to the forum!

Good to have an additional vet on the forum! Sorry to hear that health issues have played a part in the changes to your life...hope they be under control.
Sounds like you have had some very interesting experiences in the field!

I started out playing with snakes, toads, frogs and anything else I could find in the fields near where I lived as a kid and then got interested in lizards and started keeping them over 20 years ago....but I'm not a vet.

I love all your pictures, but that one where he's holding the dragon fly is just amazing. I know it's not a serious photographer thing to do, but it begs to a) be captioned and b) be photoshopped

that picture is actually old enough that it's a print from 35mm film (remember that?). I had scanned it long ago with an old scanner too, and of course cannot find the original shot or negatives. I do wish I could have it in a "cleaner" version.

welcome to the forum, sounds like you bring some cool experiences and great knowledge to the site.
cant wait to see some babied form your guys, if ever need anything feel free to shoot me a PM.
cheers :)
hoj

pardon me, I need to bump this old post so a not-so-internet-savvy member of my family can find it on the home page and follow along from there. :eek:

thanks for embarrassing me in front of my friends, mom!!

pardon me, I need to bump this old post so a not-so-internet-savvy member of my family can find it on the home page and follow along from there. :eek:

thanks for embarrassing me in front of my friends, mom!!

:) Mom's are cute! Hi Dr O's Mom! :D

i was wondering where you came from! you just poped up one day and i never saw your introduction. its cool that your a vet tech teacher :)

Back
Top Bottom