I want to save this poor guy

i understand not wanting to give her any money but if 60 will save this guy i have no prob with it, i just hate the pics of him it soooo sad, maybe we can arrange a kindnapping LoL

I love how all of "us" are working together to try and get this little guy a great home. *tear* Hope this lady realizes what needs to be realized and gives in... If not and if we really want to save this little guy, just going to have to give in even though rewarding her for her lack of knowledge or care would be terrible.

I dont think 60s all that bad, not for him anyways. I mean at least its not like 200! But. If shes near dallas im down for kidnapping!!

The animal looks okay enough that I don't think it is in dire need of rescuing. It looks really good actually, just a little dehydrated. Don't even offer any money. The lizard can probably handle her care for another week if that's how long it takes for her to realize he would be in better hands. Its done well so far, so she must be doing something for it.

sorry pssh i have to disagree with you here, we know how fast they can go downhill and the fact that he does look so healthy just makes me want him outta there before that changes. JMO tho, u still rock LoL

Yes. They can go down hill fast, but he looks healthy enough. I think the odds are, it will be okay in her care for a few more days. If there is indeed something wrong and it dies tomorrow, it probably wouldn't have been able to be saved anyways, regardless of if it was even sent to him today.

I still say wait. Do you guys all pay for dogs offered for adoption on craigslist? Nope. They are usually healthy looking and are provided with less than optimal care. So what? What difference does it make if it's a dog or a chameleon? You still aren't 'saving' them from the sub-par conditions.

If I can help it I'm not going to offer her any money at all. I didn't in the original email, and I told her that anyone else that knows about chams won't offer her money either knowing it has underlying health issues. And anyone that does offer to pay for it probably doesn't know crap about them and it will die a painful death anyway. Too harsh? I think not. :D

No I don't think that is too harsh. My baseball bat up side her head might be a bit harsh, but I would be ok with it.:p

@Hoj - If you're really willing to do the 60, I'm willing to drive the 45 minutes away to pick him up! :cool:

Someone send me her email, I want to talk to this lady and see if she'll meet half way or something.

Okay, finally got a response back. She says she does have a UVB light on him, which is probably why he hasn't died yet. She was defensive, but not rude and she's giving him up because she's having a baby, not getting another baby cham. She says there's a screen expansion on top which has vines and stuff for him to climb on so it's not just that tiny tank and she'd put him a bigger tank if she had the screen expansion for that too. She's not gutloading but she is dusting even though she's using too many mealworms. So he's not as bad off as he looks in those pictures! Still not great conditions, but not quite the case of neglect we were assuming. She's now asking $40 for him. She seemed genuinely concerned about him, although defensive, so I'm going to explain the other things she needs to improve both for this guy and for any she may get in the future. She didn't flat out refuse my offer but she didn't pursue it further either so I think she's just untrusting at the moment, which is understandable. I'm hoping that if I keep talking to her and educating her that she'll have more trust in me and agree. So calm down everyone, it's not nearly as bad as we thought and we have the chance to educate someone here! And maybe in the end we can still "rescue him". I'll keep you updated on my progress. :)

Please no one else email her yet. If too many people start harassing her she will get so defensive that she won't even listen to what she needs to fix. As of now she's asking for more advice so let me try this route first. If it doesn't work then other people can try theirs, but give me a chance first please.

Please no one else email her yet. If too many people start harassing her she will get so defensive that she won't even listen to what she needs to fix. As of now she's asking for more advice so let me try this route first. If it doesn't work then other people can try theirs, but give me a chance first please.

You are a knowledgeable, sweet, gentle person. You are our best hope for this cham. I hope everyone here will honor your request and stay out of it. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

What surprises me about this kind of thread being so common, is that for every poor wretched reptile 'saved' by some compassionate person here, there is another 10,000 waiting in line.
Its a good thing to do, despite being illogical, but the question that arises in my mind every time Another 'save' thread pops up is,
'Having relieved the irresponsible or ignorant owner of the animal, does any Samaritan actually consider a more proactive alternative?"
How many cases simply leave the person with problem solved, but no wiser and how many of these people go out and buy another.
Just seems to me that if you are willing to drive long distances to get it, spend large amounts on vets/treatment and equipment for the animal, you might just as-well spend the same effort and money on educating the person (where possible) and providing them the right equipment to care for the animal properly themselves, and making both a new
chameleon lover and friend in the process.
Time and money better spent Imo. Deal with the cause, not the symptom, and make a friend for life.
How much is that worth? Too often in reality, folks actions just dont match their apparent convictions.

P.S Ferret,
please dont misunderstand my post, what your doing is worthwhile, no less, and your compassion is of the highest value in my book, there cant be enough compassion in the world, we need lots more Ferrets!
Every journey begins with the first step, you are leading by example and that deserves respect!
Kudos and best wishes :)

Last edited:
Just seems to me that if you are willing to drive long distances to get it, spend large amounts on vets/treatment and equipment for the animal, you might just as-well spend the same effort and money on educating the person (where possible) and providing them the right equipment to care for the animal properly themselves, and making both a new
chameleon lover and friend in the process.

That's exactly what I am doing here. I'm going to Dallas for NARBC so it wouldn't be out of my way if I picked something up while I was there. Regardless of whether or not she wants me take him I am still educating her on proper care and being nice about it. That's the only way to make a difference, like you said. I've done this with people many times because it's the right thing to do. I can't save them all unfortunately, and I don't even have access to countless more cases exactly like this. But in this situation where we have the opportunity to actually do something about it and educate someone shouldn't we try?

"A man walked along the beach when the tide had washed up hundreds of starfish as far as the eye could see. One by one he threw them back as he strolled down the beach. Someone watching him asked him, "Why are you even bothering to throw them back? You can't possibly make a difference with this many washed up". The man threw another one back into the sea and calmly said, "It made a difference to that one."

That's exactly what I am doing here. I'm going to Dallas for NARBC so it wouldn't be out of my way if I picked something up while I was there. Regardless of whether or not she wants me take him I am still educating her on proper care and being nice about it. That's the only way to make a difference, like you said. I've done this with people many times because it's the right thing to do. I can't save them all unfortunately, and I don't even have access to countless more cases exactly like this. But in this situation where we have the opportunity to actually do something about it and educate someone shouldn't we try?

Absolutely mate, I hope it works out well for you!

"A man walked along the beach when the tide had washed up hundreds of starfish as far as the eye could see. One by one he threw them back as he strolled down the beach. Someone watching him asked him, "Why are you even bothering to throw them back? You can't possibly make a difference with this many washed up". The man threw another one back into the sea and calmly said, "It made a difference to that one."

I love it!!! :) Like minds Mate, such ops dont arise as often here, but I make the effort all the same. :)

You guys are all amazing :D It is fantastic to see that so many people willing to do anything they can to help this little guy and the countless others like him. I really hope he finds a caring home and that his owner realises how lucky she is that somebody is willing to give their time and experience to help her see the problems and improve for the future - you just cannot buy the humanity in this forum. :)

Back
Top Bottom