I think my Chameleon is unhappy :(

Also, can someone tell me what this is? I saw it this morning.
3F174621-3DB2-440B-BEE0-25395E3E70DA.jpeg

I moved him to crickets about 5 days ago!
Hm I guess that could be why although crickets aren't very "liquidy". I honestly wouldnt worry about it unless there is blood or something like that. Have you ever gotten a fecal done on him? That's always a good thing to do.

Hm I guess that could be why although crickets aren't very "liquidy". I honestly wouldnt worry about it unless there is blood or something like that. Have you ever gotten a fecal done on him? That's always a good thing to do.
To be honest. I don’t know what that is. Looking at his poop? His poop is good! Brown with a white piece.

To be honest. I don’t know what that is. Looking at his poop? His poop is good! Brown with a white piece.
A fecal is when you take a sample of their poop to the vet and they check for parasites. If he hasnt been to the vet before then they will probably want to do a full check up like mine did then after that, it's good to just bring in a sample every six months or so.

A fecal is when you take a sample of their poop to the vet and they check for parasites. If he hasnt been to the vet before then they will probably want to do a full check up like mine did then after that, it's good to just bring in a sample every six months or so.
Ok! I can really focus on everything in about a week (once quarantine is done) but I will 1000% schedule one! And like I said his new items are coming in the 29th and the mister is coming in Wednesday! Next Friday I’m going to shop for some plants! Do you recommend anything else?

Thank you so so so much! I do love my chameleon a lot so I would love to get started on his terrarium. I hope he can hold on for 2 more weeks (when the new terrarium comes in). I just feel so bad that he looks so sad. Do you recommend anything in a terrarium besides real plants? Also, when I get the mister what timer should I use? Just have it spray more at night?
2 weeks he´ll probably manage. Generally most of us mist in the morning, just before lights go on, in the evening before or just lights go out and one time during midnight and let the enclosure dry out during the day. I got my chameleon free range 24/7 and with this schedule including nighttime fogging I keep her hydrated without a dripper. You need to put in a lot of horizontal and vertical branches from all kind of diameters, however not too thick. Just imaging they live their whole life in a tree, that´s what we trying to recreate in their enclosure, a natural habitat. Try to get some inspiration from this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/

2 weeks he´ll probably manage. Generally most of us mist in the morning, just before lights go on, in the evening before or just lights go out and one time during midnight and let the enclosure dry out during the day. I got my chameleon free range 24/7 and this schedule including nighttime fogging I keep her hydrated without a dripper. You need to put in a lot of horizontal and vertical branches from all kind of diameters, however not too thick. Just imaging they live their whole life in a tree, that´s what we trying to recreate in their enclosure, a natural habitat. Try to get some inspiration from this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/
I still don’t know how are you guys are able to keep the humidity is so high at night. And I can’t even do that with an enclosed terrarium. That is why I got a Mister and a new terrarium that is all open.

It´s a lot in the beginning, however it save you trouble later and more important you can your chameleon. They´re worth all the effort and every cent you spend (y)
10000% I love cosmo (who I think I found out today is a girl). I love all my reptiles and animals. He’s def a lot of work but ofc I’d do whatever I can to make his life the best!

Yes I ordered new lighting. It is UBV but it’s compact. I also feed him calcium no d3 and d3 twice a month with vitamins twice a month. The only symptom is the trembling but someone told me it’s probably because he’s nervous but idk what he does when I’m not around lol he acts very different when I’m here.
Yesterday, you said you ordered a linear T5HO UVB, which is what you should have. Compact UVB is virtually worthless in this application.

Here are 2 articles by the authority on UVB lighting for reptiles—one shorter and one longer.
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/reptile-lighting-information/
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/an-in-depth-look-at-uv-light-and-its-proper-use-with-reptiles/

It's common and predictable that chameleons act differently when we're around. From their perspective, we are Apex predators who want to EAT them. This behavior can be assuaged with time and patience. I'm going through this process myself.
  1. Begin with ignoring him and pretending you don't see him; this is how they are most comfortable. Of course you have to feed him and maintain the enclosure, but do this (at first, at least) slowly but without lingering. Always move slowly around him—they can startle easily.
  2. Then start observing from the far side of the room for just a few minutes at a time, a couple/few times a day.
  3. Over time, slowly increase observation, while slowly decreasing the distance you are from the enclosure.
  4. Eventually, he should become more accustomed to your presence.
Then you can move on to:

Ok! I can really focus on everything in about a week (once quarantine is done) but I will 1000% schedule one! And like I said his new items are coming in the 29th and the mister is coming in Wednesday! Next Friday I’m going to shop for some plants! Do you recommend anything else?
Um not really, but make sure to fill up his enclosure well, this is mine, you want to make sure he has plenty of vines or branches to climb everywhere. The plants I have are an umbrella plant, mass cane plant, pothos, and spider plant if you want some inspiration.

Attachments

• 20210330_111308.jpg
    20210330_111308.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 68
I still don’t know how are you guys are able to keep the humidity is so high at night. And I can’t even do that with an enclosed terrarium. That is why I got a Mister and a new terrarium that is all open.
I keep it high locally, at the spot where she sleeps, that´s always the same place. There I cover her every hour (8 hours total) for 15 minutes in a fog cloud, created by a fogger.

Last edited:
Yesterday, you said you ordered a linear T5HO UVB, which is what you should have. Compact UVB is virtually worthless in this application.

Here are 2 articles by the authority on UVB lighting for reptiles—one shorter and one longer.
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/reptile-lighting-information/
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/an-in-depth-look-at-uv-light-and-its-proper-use-with-reptiles/

It's common and predictable that chameleons act differently when we're around. From their perspective, we are Apex predators who want to EAT them. This behavior can be assuaged with time and patience. I'm going through this process myself.
  1. Begin with ignoring him and pretending you don't see him; this is how they are most comfortable. Of course you have to feed him and maintain the enclosure, but do this (at first, at least) slowly but without lingering. Always move slowly around him—they can startle easily.
  2. Then start observing from the far side of the room for just a few minutes at a time, a couple/few times a day.
  3. Over time, slowly increase observation, while slowly decreasing the distance you are from the enclosure.
  4. Eventually, he should become more accustomed to your presence.
Then you can move on to:

Yes! I realize that now. It is coming in Wednesday and perfect o usually do ignore him lol usually I’m at work and when I get home it’s his bed time!

Back
Top Bottom