I need help.

Fricker04

I need help. My boyfriend bought me a veiled chameleon. He knew I liked them but didn’t know anything about it. Every time I get a pet I always do a bunch of research because I want them to live the best life. But I’ve only had this little guy/ girl for a day and I know he’s not happy. He bought the repti breeze kit and I put a little desk lamp on top to keep it a little warmer. But it’s just not doing it for him. I bought a water dripper thingy and waiting for that to come in. I bought coconut soil. But saw that it’s not good for him. But I want to have live plants in there for him but I feel like having a potted plant is the same as having the ground of the terrarium soil. I have a zoo med thermometer and at the top where he sits by the lamps and it’s at 87F. But if I move it down just a few inches to the second mark on my picture the temp drops to about 71F. I have a big heat lamp for chickens but don’t want it to be to close to burn him or be to hot during the day. The house I’m in usually stays around 70 but me I’m always cold. So I feel like he’s cold even with the lamps. I got him from a pet store. I don’t know how old he is they said he was a veiled chameleon but I’m not sure if that is accurate. I’m stressing out. I would also like to know how old it is. What it’s sex is and why he’s staring at me with his mouth open

Attachments

• ABDD2242-1D37-4AD3-A045-46C2376A303E.jpeg
    ABDD2242-1D37-4AD3-A045-46C2376A303E.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 16085036-7936-4477-835C-BDC4878A710E.jpeg
    16085036-7936-4477-835C-BDC4878A710E.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 102
Uhhhhhhh

reptibreeze is good

You need uvb lights. zoomed T5HO 5.0 is great just get the 18" or 22"

potted plants normally get covered in large stone so that the feeders cant breed in the pots.

Else you can go "bio active" using the dirt you bought and some plants and cleaner crew.

87 is too hot for a baby, you want it 75-80 in the sunny spot.

ambient temp of 60 is not "cold" as long as he has the sunny spot.

Hi and welcome!! 😁 I totally understand where you are coming from, there is so much info oit there on chameleons. Lol. The best way to approach this situation would be to fill out this husbandry form i posted below with as much detail as possible. Pics are alwayd helpful too!

Some helpful resources in the meantime while spmeone goes over your husbandry are:

Caskabove.com
The husbandry program on : Chameleonacademy.com
Neptune the chameleon on youtube!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ok, no need to panic, we can go over everything and get you and your new baby started off right.

So the darkened colors are stress signs and open mouth is usually an overheated sign. As mentioned above, you need to drop the basking temp, either prop up the lamp an inch or two or buy a dimmer (there are multiple options I will link for you) https://caskabove.com/additional-needs

You will need to mist the cage a couple of minutes first thing in the morning and at lights out. (12hr on/off light cycle). Higher humidity nights (close to 100%) and lower humidity days (50-60% or so).

You will also need linear UVB lighting (T5HO 5.0 or 6%) and have the basking branch 8-9 inches below the bulb. You will need to dust your feeders with a phosphorus free calcium without d3 every feeding except one per 2 weeks (on that one day you will dust with a multivitamin with d3).

Adding lots of live plants will help your chameleon tremendously. You may cover the plant soil with river stones. Fake plants, fake moss vines, and the rough textured exoterra vines are not recommended for chameleon cages.

Ample foliage and branches are necessary. Place the enclosure on an elevated table or desk, they want to be higher than the tallest person in the house. Privacy and height will make your chameleon happy. Please visit the recommended sites for detailed care info.

I really hope this helps you and please keep us posted! ☺️

Back
Top Bottom