I nearly DIED today

Trillian

Went out on our new boat with the girls today, it's just a canoe and we had paddles, and went out from a beach along the Hudson. Found a really nice cove, sat and had a picnic lunch, found the PERFECT sturdy twisted driftwood vines for my new chameleon basking spot and spent a while picking off the bark while the girls played in the waves.

Hubbles wanted to go further around the headland, but as it was our first time, I thought it was better just to head back the way we came and play it safe, after all, it had been quick and easy to get that far.

Instead we wended up almost back to the launching beach, paddling quickly to get away from dark clouds that I thought might be a storm, when a few big waves hit the boat in quick succession, from nowhere, the river having been a little choppy, but no big deal previously. Hubbles was yelling that he would jump out as I was bailing water, when suddenly the water was to my waist and the canoe was upside down.

We all had life-vests on, so although the girls can't swim in water that deep, I figured they would float. I saw my eldest, but could only hear my youngest, she was screaming that she was inside the boat. I panicked, and was clutching the couple of bags that I managed to save, didn't know what to do, but my Hubbles reached under and pulled her out. She was so scared so I told her to grab onto me, and Hubbles swam my eldest to the rocks as my youngest wrapped her arms and legs around my neck. Took me 20 minutes to reach the rocks, thinking all the time that some sort of rescue boat would be along any minute, after all, that couple on the rocks watching us had their phones out and anyone with common sense would be calling for help, seeing as they weren't jumping in to help.

But no, they weren't doing anything of the sort, they were taking pictures, videoing us and laughing. They were definitely old enough to know better. Hubbles went back into the water to get the boat, turn it over, bail it out and paddle it back to the beach. I took the girls along the rocky shoreline to the beach, barefoot as we'd all lost our shoes.

As we walked past the couple I gave them an earful, though didn't swear because that undermines arguments with strangers. They had nothing to say, though offered that they couldn't swim and didn't realise we were in trouble. Upside-down boat, people swimming for shore wearing florescent life-vests? Yep, pretty ambiguous, I agree. Did I mention that she had been quite obviously assisting him with removal of his sperm plug at the time?

My girls were very impressed with the dressing down I gave the couple, who snuck off embarrassed. Twats. I yelled back that I hoped if they ever needed help there was someone around who would actually help them.

So we're home, wet, scraped and bruised, with no mobile phones, and I lost my beloved Hitchhikers towel, which I'm incredibly upset about, as well as the loss of the perfect basking vine. But we are all okay, and there is plenty of vodka in the freezer.

Geeze what a day! Glad to see you and your family safe! Good for you giving those people an earful, what selfless people.:mad:

Good heavens Ellie do be careful!! Now that we have you, we have no plans to lose you. The poor girls may never want in the canoe again. maybe you could explain that it is good to be sure you can all save your selves? I doubt the would buy that it was planned but at least it has a positive spin, if it were to happen again (and it won't) let them know they would be ok. That way they will know they don't want dumped in the water but will know Mommy and Daddy will save them. Not let's hope none of you caught a cold. How did you get home?

That's exactly what we told them! This is why we have life-vests. It's 90+f today, limited chance of catching a cold! They are very proud of themselves for not panicking, and my youngest is very proud that she knew where she was and that she knew to shout to let us know where she was.

We'll go out in the canoe again, in a couple of weeks, but will stick to very small, still lakes. Hubbles is going to take the day off work tomorrow, his poor feet are shredded from the rocks and barnacles.

We drove home Laurie, after carrying the boat back to the car. We're both still in shock that despite it being very obvious before, during and after, that we'd had an accident and were really in trouble, not a single person helped, despite the beach being packed and there being loads of other watercraft on the river. I really don't want my girls growing up thinking that it's normal not to give or receive help in situations like that! It's was really eerie. I was convinced that we'd get picked up by a rescue boat or something and it would be really embarrassing!

Thank God you're ok. Be careful next time!

I was bloody careful!!! Quiet river, calm day, life-vests... Not sure we could have done anything differently to avoid it, unless we just didn't go out at all! Just glad we were in a populated area near the car so we didn't have to drink our own pee. Though I killed my phone, which is pretty much on a par with drinking pee.

I can't believe that none of the people helped. I have just never seen people who would not help. One of my biggest fears is my husband will die helping others. It would not matter what the problem was David would help. Scuba diving once a tiny girl got caught in a rip tide. We were in Mexico so the divemaster were not that great, except my hubby who was just diving with me, for fun while we were on vacation. But David is the one who almost got caught in the rip tide getting her to safety. No helping is just not normal for most people. My hubby just goes to extremes.

He sounds so wonderful Laurie! I was incredibly amazed that nobody helped, I don't know if it's anything to do with us being white and tattooed and 90% of the other visible people being Mexican with limited English, but I can't imagine that was the reason. It wasn't even just when the boat overturned, it was walking past 20 people sat on the rocks fishing as we staggered past, me and my two girls, none of us with shoes on, scrambling over sharp rocks to get to the beach where Hubbles had managed to paddle the boat.

My poor youngest just said she was glad we only lost Daddy's hat, and we said we also lost her Wall-E blankie and she burst into tears. You never know what they are attached to until you lose it! Mind you, I burst into tears being reminded we lost my favourite towel. My dad gave it to me. He made me a geek, he loves tanks and WW2 and we love HHGTTG, among other things.

Attachments

• 12642_299244200455_7431199_n.jpg
    12642_299244200455_7431199_n.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 153
Oh man! I dont see how someone could just take a video and laugh when there are CHILDREN in the water! It's one thing if its just adults but with kids? What's wrong with those people? Even when I was younger I would have hopped in to help (particularly since I'm a strong swimmer.) I've had to help my little brother in fairly deep water before, so I know how awful that can feel. I'm glad that you all got out of the situation relatively unharmed.

Oh, how scary! Good for you for taking those idiots to task. The world needs to remember that people in distress are not "the next great viral video" they are people who need help. Put the damned camera down and take some action!

I'm so glad that you and your family are okay.

He did so well, thank you. Neither of us slept much last night, just kept seeing the boat filling with water then seeing the girls in the water. It was so scary. Felt like idiots wearing the vests, but when it came to it, we definitely wouldn't have made it without them, despite being strong swimmers.

All electronics are drying out in the kitchen, going to give them a couple more days before we even try to turn them on.

Aching all over today, thought we were getting a harsh workout from the rowing, but then getting to shore, recovering the boat and getting it back to the car and we're wrecked! Plus the cuts, scrapes and grazes from being barefoot and off-balance on barnacled rocks and stony shore. Do not envy Hubbles having to go back to work tomorrow. They've been so lovely and sympathetic.

What a bunch of a$$ h%l€$ for not helping! Glad you're all ok! I bet this will haunt you for a while :(

My gosh, your story made me feel so ill, reading how people would video you and not help at all!!! I hate to think it's a generational thing but the more I see of society the more I believe that's the case. I'm so glad you and your family emerged fairly unscathed, and kudos to you for giving that couple a dressing down (btw I loved the sperm plug analogy!!!). Hopefully your next adventure will be humdrum :D

Just catching up on the forum since I've been down awhile with bad migraines and saw your thread.

Karma will hopefully catch up with the lame-brains that sat by being entertained.

I am sooooo glad that you got out of that mess mostly intact. Maybe you could put an ad in the paper for the return of your items or flyers in areas downstream? That towel of yours is definitely identifiable...

You wouldn't have had a problem if you didn't immediately lose your towel. At least you didn't panic. I certainly hope you find another towel before your next adventure.

Life is supposed to be an adventure and an experience. Good job!

I like to view people as those that would sit and watch without helping as a kind of mutated human that is interesting and can be studied. I spent every spare moment in a kayak when I was younger and I can say not helping is a serious water foul.

He did so well, thank you. Neither of us slept much last night, just kept seeing the boat filling with water then seeing the girls in the water. It was so scary. Felt like idiots wearing the vests, but when it came to it, we definitely wouldn't have made it without them, despite being strong swimmers.

All electronics are drying out in the kitchen, going to give them a couple more days before we even try to turn them on.

Aching all over today, thought we were getting a harsh workout from the rowing, but then getting to shore, recovering the boat and getting it back to the car and we're wrecked! Plus the cuts, scrapes and grazes from being barefoot and off-balance on barnacled rocks and stony shore. Do not envy Hubbles having to go back to work tomorrow. They've been so lovely and sympathetic.

You know what I'd suggest? Get everyone back in your canoe in a "controlled" situation (pond, lake, etc) and make a game out of flipping over, learning the tipping point for your particular boat, rescuing yourselves, getting out from under the canoe, so the girls don't hold on to this feeling of panic. I've kayaked for years and the scariest hardest thing to do is get used to capsizing/self rescues. You had a wake up call, thankfully everyone is OK, :)so turn it into something positive. You'll also be able to step in and help others unlike the clueless idiots who got your lecture!!!! Good for you for wearing your PFDs! They may look goofy, but they just paid for themselves. Sorry, I don't mean to lecture you at all...I've just seen/heard about too many idiots losing their lives in boats (and around here the average water temp is 40 degrees in summer so you've got about 8 minutes before hypothermia gets you).

So glad everyone's OK!

Thank you for the advice! Apparently the canoe (Scanoe) is supposed to be pretty tough to tip. Hubbles is looking into closed bodies of water that we can get our confidence back on. And everything but the oars will be locked in the car!!!

So true about the lifejackets, I'm a strong swimmer but it was so hard to swim in clothes, against the current, holding the two bags I'd grabbed, with a 6 year old wrapped around my head! Was exhausted.

On Wednesday a boat capsized off Manhattan during the fireworks. Lots of boats were out, they all pitched in, but there were suspicions that there were too many people and too few lifejackets and several children drowned. Horrible.

Still miss my towel.

Back
Top Bottom