I Lost Sir Lancelot to a hawk

RAFASTAR23

I have been off the forums for a while. Busy with school (working on my MBA), kids (single parent of 3), work, my other kids (my pets; which include a reef tank, an amazon river fish tank, a pair of guinea pigs, emperor scorpion, and my pair of panther chameleons Sir Lancelot, and Cammie. I never thought my first day back to this forums would be to share my grief.
Today, I took my chameleons out to enjoy a little sun, when out of nowhere came a red tail hawk and snatched Sir Lancelot out of the ficus tree he was on. It happened so fast I could do nothing but watch it fly away with my lizard in its talons. I was shocked. Red tail hawks, peregrine falcons, and some large owls are birds of prey found in San Diego. In the past, I always looked up at the sky and checked for large birds flying near by... to make sure my chams are safe while enjoying southern California sunlight about once a week. Today... I made the mistake not to look up, and paid steeply for it. My three and a half year old male ambilobe is gone!
:eek::(:mad::(:confused::(

My deepest regards. Whenever free ranging outside birds of prey are a major concern and supervision is highly recommended to prevent accidents such as this from happening. If you decide to give your chameleons natural sunshine in the future my guidance is you may want to use a outdoor sun enclosure.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Wow, I've always been a little concerned about this and my Chams get real jumpy when a robin or jay fly overhead, but I have never heard of a cham actually getting taken by a raptor. I'll have to pay more attention to the sky from now on.

My deepest regards. Whenever free ranging outside birds of prey are a major concern and supervision is highly recommended to prevent accidents such as this from happening. If you decide to give your chameleons natural sunshine in the future my guidance is you may want to use a outdoor sun enclosure.

Jeremy A. Rich

Thank you Jeremy.

Like I said, we used to do this at least once a week (when weather permitted twice a week in the spring and summer), and never had a problem until today. I had not seen a red tail hawk near my house for over 5 years. They are more commonly found/seen about 6 to 10 miles east of my location. And peregrine falcons, I have not seen one for about 10 years. Owls are a different story, I see them every evening... but I would not take my chameleons out when the sun is going down.

Oh my goodness, that is aweful!! I am so sorry :(
I would be sick if that happened to one of my guyz.

Those birds are very brazen and not afraid of people very much.
Even the big black birds where I live will swoop down and snatch food from
right in front of you!!

They are rats with wings!! :mad:

I am so sorry! What a horrible thing for you to witness. We have so many hawks in my area and for this reason I will only cage outside or sit within inches of a plant if I let them free range on it. Even then, you have to be careful if you read my link and story of what happened to me a couple of years ago.
I hope people are reading this and learning of the dangers of leaving a chameleon exposed to the elements, even if it is just for a short time. If one chameleon gets his life spared, then yours did not die in vain. Check this out: https://www.chameleonforums.com/omg-hawk-encounter-47395/ Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Thank you all for your support!

...It is the day after, and I am still thinking about Sir Lancelot and how my mistake cost him his life. :(

I am sorry to hear about Sir Lancelot. What an awful thing to happen to him.

All I can offer is you learned the hard way, a lot of us in the cham world have learned some terrible things, with our chams, the hard way. i am sure you will never make that mistake again.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your support!

...It is the day after, and I am still thinking about Sir Lancelot and how my mistake cost him his life. :(

This is something I would not have thought about upon bringing my Cham out this upcoming season.. I have a ton of hawks where I live,
I see ten a day easy around the house.
Sorry for your loss, it has opened my eyes to the dangers outdoors so thank you for the post. Potentially saved my Cham

Oh my...I am so sorry! :( This is terrible! This is my fear too , 'cause we have many dangerous birds here. Even those freaking ravens...
And you had to witness the whole thing. I just can imagine how you can feel!
Try to forgive yourself, I know it is very hard!
I wish you all the best!

Maybe Sir Lancelot didn't die maybe the hawk took him to King Arthur's castle and now he gets to bone Julia Ormont and eat dubias like a boss.

but actually that is wild stuff, sorry :(

Wow thats horrific.

I now know to leave my house armed with a soft pellet bb gun if I am out with my cham...

I dont even know how you feel but my sympathy goes out to you.

I'm so sorry that this happened. :( We have lots of red tailed hawks here. They pick birds off the bird feeders, and more than once I've seen them sizing up my small breed dog. She's never left alone outside. Between the hawks and coyotes, she wouldn't stand a chance

I live in NJ so yeah they can just come out of no where even if you look in the sky very sorry for your chameleon.

Sending my regards, I'm new to the fourm but that is a horrible story I love my little guy so much I'd be crushed ! 3 yeArs he must have been beautiful

Back
Top Bottom