I hate hornworms

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
When Mona was alive, I fed her a pretty big, but not giant hornworm. I've read that chameleons are good at grabbing bugs by the head, but Mona apparently was not good at that. She grabbed it by the tail and that jerk reach around and bit her on her side. She let it go and it hung from her side. I had to remove it from her. She would never eat them again.

Today I fed Coza a smaller hornworm (the only way I feed them now) and this ALSO JERK bit onto her lip. It didn't look like it hurt her and she had most of it in her mouth, but it prevented her from getting it the rest of the way into her mouth. I used my nail to flick it off and she finished eating it. But man, I do not like hornworms.

I'm gonna be honest. If the bugs are a bit bigger I pinch their head or teeth. 🤢😯🤫 I've read so many horror stories.
I just make sure they can't bite my baby.

But a trick is to feed them head first so they can't bite while chams eat. But idk I feel better safe then sorry.

Feeding "head first" sounds easy, but no matter the direction I present the bug she tends to grab it from the middle. Also, I'm not holding those jerks in my hand, I feed from a cup.

That’s why I don’t feed super worms! One bit me and I said never again! That was 20 years ago.
I squeeze their head too lmao. I don't touch them either. Not my thing. Lmao. Only thing I don’t mind touching & that's because they’re impossible to get lol is the flies.

Wow I'm thankful Yoda is good about grabbing the bugs from their heads. I don't mind being nibbled at as I'm hand feeding them though 😂

I love hornworms the only one I’ll handle … Yoshi loves them too his fav food…. He always grabs by that head to so he’s never been bit

I only feed them when they are tiny now. I have never had one bite but read so many stories about it. And frankly the potential for mouth rot freaks me out more then the worm. lol
Yeah I also usually only feed them as super tiny bit these absolutely menaces grow so fast

When coza was sick I didn't want to order any bc they grown when they ship so I went to the reptile store and made them let me sift through and find the tiniest ones

Back
Top Bottom