i finally did it now can someone plzz tell me what im doing wrong?(:

ziggsta1

Your Chameleon - veiled, male, 2 years old. i have had him for about a month
Handling -every day for 15 mins.
Feeding - ckrickets,4-5 then when his cage is empty i put a few more,usually 3-4 days,gutloading the crickets carrots.
Supplements -brand of supplements-rep-cal calcium with d3 and herptivite,2 times a month.
Watering - spray bottle, everyday,untill every leaf is dripping,yea i see my cham drinking.
Fecal Description -green with dots, no it hasnt been tested for parasites
History - well it was my friends chameleon but he gave it to me,but im not sure if he was supplementing it rite,my chameleon has a bent casque and a moved jaw.i have also heard tht he has MBD.

Cage Info:screen cage and its the top size of all the cages
Cage Type - Screen
Lighting - idk,the one tht immitates the sun and a heat lamp,i turn it off at 7:30 p.m. -7:30 a.m.
Temperature - idk i need to get temp cages ): 60,my mom told me:)
Humidity - idk the humidity levels,my friend told me how to do it hahahah,nothing.
Plants - yes, hibiscuss
Placement - in my kitchen,no, no, no.
Location -laguna beach,california

You should have a tube 5.0 uvb light and a 60 watt basking lamp. You didn't mention any vines. They need those to move about the enclosure. If he has MBD and you know this then you should take him to a proper vet to get him help.

That seems like an awful lot of handling of your chameleon. I have heard that that much can significantly decrease its life span. I would also suggest feeding more crickets, if I am reading your information correctly you are only feeding it about one per day. Most people recommend two methods of giving your chameleon water, so if your chameleon seems thirsty I would advise that you poke a small hole in the bottom of a cup, fill it with water, and put it on the top of your cage so that it drips into one of your plants or a towel or some drainage system of the like. Your bimonthly supplements seem good but you should also feed him normal calcium without D3 pretty much every day, sprinkled on your crickets.
I wish you the best of luck with your chameleon.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~chameleon/feature/index.html
Here is a good info sheet on MBD. Generally indicated by bowed limbs, bent casque, difficulty in moving, a few other symptoms.
06MBDY1.JPG

Your threads are all the same. What are you asking for?
You can't fix the bent casque, you don't post pics, and you won't take him to a vet. What exactly do you want?

yeah...i would look at adding the calcium without d3 and definitely look into a better setup for the lighting/heating option.... if he does have MBD, a vet visit would be the best direction....and there are various signs you can look for in regard to MBD.

as far as the casque goes, i hate to make it sound hopeless, but it does seem like that might be something that can't be fixed and there are other things that need to be focused on....

and i'm not sure i've ever heard of a fecal looking like that, to be honest, so i would most definitely consider the testing with the vet visit.... but make sure, if possible, you take him to a herp vet, not a regular vet....

the forum is a great place for help and advice...you just have to give people the best and most detailed information if you expect good, directive answers.

good luck with the cham and welcome!

Feeding - ckrickets,4-5 then when his cage is empty i put a few more,usually 3-4 days,gutloading the crickets carrots.
Supplements -brand of supplements-rep-cal calcium with d3 and herptivite,2 times a month.
Watering - spray bottle, everyday,untill every leaf is dripping,yea i see my cham drinking.
History - well it was my friends chameleon but he gave it to me,but im not sure if he was supplementing it rite,my chameleon has a bent casque and a moved jaw.i have also heard tht he has MBD.

Cage Type - Screen
Lighting - idk,the one tht immitates the sun and a heat lamp,i turn it off at 7:30 p.m. -7:30 a.m.
Humidity - idk the humidity levels,my friend told me how to do it hahahah,nothing.
Plants - yes, hibiscuss

First off, handling your Cham every day should not be done UNLESS your little guy is ok with it and wants to come out. Look for stress signs to know...

Crickets are a good staple feeder but getting a wider variation of feeders is much better for your Cham. Hornworms, Silkworms, Reptiworms, Waxworms (treat), Dubia roaches, BB Flies (cultured) and house flies (cultured). They should be well gutloading with LOTS of good fruits and Veggies. If you do a search in the search area, you will find lots of good gutloading threads (carrot, apple, butternut squash, orange, kale, and so on...)

Only thing you are missing in the supplement area is your plain calcium that you use every or every other feeding.

Do you mist only once a day? If so, you should be misting 3 to 4 times for a few minutes at a time. A dripper would be a good thing to add too.

What do you mean by green with white dots. It should be a solid brown part with a white tip at the end.

Lighting should include a 5.0 Reptisun linear bulb along with a basking bulb from 40 to 60 watts.

You should REALLY get a digital thermometer/hygrometer, it is really important to keep those 2 things on track.

Make sure you have LOTS of vines in the cage for your little dude to get around on. Is the Hibiscus large enough to take up most of the cage? I'd suggest getting lots more plants in there to aid with the humidity and also provide lots of climbing areas.

I'm have no experience with MBD and don't know much about it, i'll leave that to someone with more knowledge.:)

Good luck!

YES!!!!!!!!!!thank you so much everyone you are a big help and also my chameleon does not have MBD((:):::: you guys are an amazing help and yea i still gotta get calcium without d3 thanks

YES!!!!!!!!!!thank you so much everyone you are a big help and also my chameleon does not have MBD((:):::: you guys are an amazing help and yea i still gotta get calcium without d3 thanks

How do you know he does not have MBD? Have you posted a picture somewhere?

the symptoms sound very much like mbd. Plus the fecal color seems all wrong. it would seem a vet trip would be a great idea.

A chameleon doesn't have to break a bone to have MBD, that can and does occur as a side effect.

Please post a picture of your cham that will put a final result to whether your cham does or doesn't have MBD.

Cage Type - Screen
Plants - yes, hibiscuss

handling:you told me he walks onto your arm sometimes so its ok just do it outside in the sun they like that :)
feeding: i would feed six to ten every other day depends on how he eats
gutload: I do a wet/dry gut load combo, for water i put lettuce, artichoke,dandelion,brussel sprout, collard greens, mustard greens, etc. or butter nut squash, yams, patatoes, or most fruits and berries and for dry i ground up almonds,different soy beans, sunflower seeds and dried fruit. I dont remove the brussel sprouts cuz they dont really mold and the little crickets like to tunnel in them and i threw alot away one time.
supplement: i need to get some more w/out d3 too we can go together;) If you take him out every day for 15 minutes in the sun i would only supplement with d3 once a month and multi vitamin 2 a month
misting: you gotta get a dripper man. they cheap online from LLL reptile.com
and if its a problem of water collecting and making a puddle just put a pan under the hibiscus you can empty when its full. id just put the dripper over the hibiscus. and GET MO FOLIAGE! i can see ziggy at all time at every angle!
and id mist 3-4 times a day. once in the morning but not immediately after you turn the lights on and make sure its warm water
WE SHOUlD GET FECALS DONE YOU LAZY. ill go if you go. my cham dont need em from what i can see.
Temprature: you need temp and humidity gages too. keep normal temp at low to mid 70s and basking at high to mid 80s and keep basking light twelve inches from basking spot so he doesnt burn his casque and stunt his growth.
humidty should be 60 with a spike to high or low 70s
Plants: im telling you you should get a pothos too!
tell them the exact dimensions of your cage. POST PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! do some research on mbd. is he bowlegged? maybe if you post some pictures we could tell you!

MBD is not just diagnosed by whether or not he has broken bones or is skinny. MBD is diagnosed on xrays by looking at the density of the bones. Breaking bones can happen in severe/end stages of MBD, but doesn't have to for MBD to be a very real problem. Mardith can you post the pics you found of his cham?

You finally provided info but suddenly disregarded what people have been telling you for advice. Take the advice we've given you to fix the husbandry problems. The damage may already be permanent but if you don't stop the progression then it will continue to get worse until your cham dies.

Back
Top Bottom