I am soooo confused now :(

carm

So I had posted that the new female vailed that I had gotten from someone was possibly full of eggs. well after following some much appreciated advise, I put her in a large rubbermaid container full of sand with just a purch and her light. I did this for several days....and nothing. So I took her out and felt her tummy and feel nothing that would resemble an egg. So I put her back in her cage, I'm sure she is now beyond stressed, but she still only sits at the bottom of it and evel sleeps on the bottom.

I am at a complete loss of what to do. She has been eating (a little bit) and drinking so that put's me at ease. Other than her sitting at the bottom of her cage nothing else seems to be wrong with her. When I put her into the veins, she crawls around for a few minutes then heads right back to the bottom. I still have a container of play sand in their just in case, but she doesn't go near it.

any ideas????????

So I had posted that the new female vailed that I had gotten from someone was possibly full of eggs. well after following some much appreciated advise, I put her in a large rubbermaid container full of sand with just a purch and her light. I did this for several days....and nothing. So I took her out and felt her tummy and feel nothing that would resemble an egg. So I put her back in her cage, I'm sure she is now beyond stressed, but she still only sits at the bottom of it and evel sleeps on the bottom.

I am at a complete loss of what to do. She has been eating (a little bit) and drinking so that put's me at ease. Other than her sitting at the bottom of her cage nothing else seems to be wrong with her. When I put her into the veins, she crawls around for a few minutes then heads right back to the bottom. I still have a container of play sand in their just in case, but she doesn't go near it.

any ideas????????

Post pictures of her cage and the bin.

That I can definatly do. I am at work right now so I will have to do it tonight. The bin I had her in was a 68l rubbermaid (if i recall correctly). her cage is a mesh one, rough size is about 5 1/2 feet tall. like I said, I am at work and don't know the exacts.

the sand is moist enough that I can make a ball out of it so there should not be a problem with it. the container in the cage currently is about 6" deep. I know its not very deep but there is also a plant in there also that is deeper. The egg laying container I had made for here was probably closer to a foot of moist sand in it.

I will have to check the temp in the basking spot. I haven't checked lately cause she is never there. The house stays about 70 during the day but she is in a window that gets direct sunlight so it will be a little warmer there.

It bothers me that she keeps staying on the floor of the cage.
Is there any sign that her health is suffering?
Can you post a picture?

Doesn't look to be. I have a healthy 2 year old male so I'm not overly new to veil's. Her coloring is a darker shade of green, but not too bad. But I also have been moving her around constantly since I've had her which has only been two weeks. moving her from her cage to the bin, back to her cage. she cannot see my male so I know that's not stressing her out.

I will post pics of her and the cage set up tonight.

Its not a good idea to keep moving her back and forth. (I just realized that this is what you said you were doing.) Has she not dug at all during the time you have had her? I'm wondering if she may already be eggbound...difficult to tell when I can't see her or her behavior first hand. A vet should be able to tell you.

I keep an opaque container of moist washed playsand in the female's cage for her to dig in to show me that she is ready to lay eggs. It only needs to be big enough for her to fit into with a couple of inches to spare on each side including above and below her when empty.

When the female starts digging in this with intent to lay the eggs, I move her to the large bin and LEAVE her there. You might be pushing her to eggbinding by constantly disturbing her during this time.

While she is digging, don't let the female see you watching her or she may stop digging the hole thinking that its unsafe. If this happens too often she could become eggbound.

Back
Top Bottom