Humidity levels / Misting

Hi there,

Getting my first male veiled on Friday (in two days time); he's 3-4 months old.

I mist my terrarium twice a day; 7am in the morning. 4:30pm in the afternoon.
The humidity level when I leave to go to work is at 50%. When I get home from work before the 2nd mist the humidity level is at 20-25%. Then when I mist again it goes back up to 50%

Is this ok for my Chameleon? I'm unsure whether or not this is bad and a constant humidity level is better?

My instinct tells me the humidity level should fluctuate but I'm not too sure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

For a veiled you need try keep humidity to 40-50% all times and mist three times aday for 3minutes my best bet is to get a misting system. I got mine second hand for 30£

For a veiled you need try keep humidity to 40-50% all times and mist three times aday for 3minutes my best bet is to get a misting system. I got mine second hand for 30£

Cheers! Today was my first day at attempting to maintain humidity.. when I get home I will double check the level and see what it is. If necessary I'll buy a misting machine. I've seen one for about £36.99 I could get.

Cheers! Today was my first day at attempting to maintain humidity.. when I get home I will double check the level and see what it is. If necessary I'll buy a misting machine. I've seen one for about £36.99 I could get.

And also humidity machines are good. Live plants help! Luckly in UK its very humid not meny people no but we are an tropical island :)

And also humidity machines are good. Live plants help! Luckly in UK its very humid not meny people no but we are an tropical island :)

Just out of curiously.. when my heat lamps aren't on during the night my humidity level goes up to about 80%. This is fine isn't it? Yeah judging by the weather today we're lucky to live in the tropics haha

Just out of curiously.. when my heat lamps aren't on during the night my humidity level goes up to about 80%. This is fine isn't it? Yeah judging by the weather today we're lucky to live in the tropics haha
80 at night is high, you want make sure his viv is dry for when he sleeps to prevent him getting RI which is like the flu for a chameleon :)

I'm not sure I completely agree with the info given. From the care sheets:

Humidity:
Humidity is an important aspect of chameleon husbandry. Veiled chameleons require levels around 40-70%, which can be achieved by several misting sessions a day over all areas of the cage. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity. Sometimes a cool mist humidifier or timer-controlled misting system is needed. See Water & Humidity for more information.

25% is too low, and it should fluctuate between the above range. If you mist, it should go up to the 70% mark then slowly drop to the minimum of 40 before needing to be re-misted.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Humidity at night should drop to your houses humidity, if you house is 25% you may want to consider a humidifier to try and maintain a relatively "normal" range humidity.

Back
Top Bottom