Finally got a humidity reader! Now I need to keep humidity up….

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
As the title states, I got a humidity gauge! And well…. My humidity levels are low.
How should I keep them up during the day? Should I have more frequent short mistings?

Ah my poor dry Colorado climate🥲

As the title states, I got a humidity gauge! And well…. My humidity levels are low.
How should I keep them up during the day? Should I have more frequent short mistings?

Ah my poor dry Colorado climate🥲

-TL:DR- If you are using a digital prob, or wireless sensors already, don't mind me lol :)

By gauge do you mean like a manual non digital dial? I would personally use something digital, or something with a really good sensor.

I've been using these (comes with 3 sensors) and they work really well. I've tested them vs each other, and against digital probe therm/hygrometers. They're accurate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVZC9Q31/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem with a manual gauge (assuming you're using that) is not only accuracy, but
1) You won't be able to tell what humidity is EXCEPT for when you're looking at it. So you can't keep track accurately.
2) It's only gauging humidity where it physically is. Depending on your enclosure, the humidity in a spot 5 inches away could be quite different.

I use all 3 sensors and I place them in different spots. One of them is specifically very close to where Spike sleeps. That's how I know, for sure, what his humidity levels are all night while he sleeps. I check it on an app the very next morning every day. This allows me to make -next day adjustments- as needed.

I think Gauge might not have been the best word to use. I didn’t buy anything super fancy but I got this: https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-PAIZOO-Humidity-Hygrometer-Accessories/dp/B0CG2Y6DJ7/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=GJLVE5RYD8KX&keywords=hydrometer+for+reptile+tank&qid=1707777345&sprefix=hydrometer+f,aps,249&sr=8-3

I went through multiple different reviews of different products in hopes to find the best one. It may not be tracked on a phone but I’m ok with that, I can log them manually if needed

Though I was looking at those, my only doubt was I couldn’t tell How big they were?

If you hold them in high standings then maybe I’ll check them out 🤔

I think Gauge might not have been the best word to use. I didn’t buy anything super fancy but I got this: https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-PAIZOO-Humidity-Hygrometer-Accessories/dp/B0CG2Y6DJ7/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=GJLVE5RYD8KX&keywords=hydrometer+for+reptile+tank&qid=1707777345&sprefix=hydrometer+f,aps,249&sr=8-3

I went through multiple different reviews of different products in hopes to find the best one. It may not be tracked on a phone but I’m ok with that, I can log them manually if needed

Though I was looking at those, my only doubt was I couldn’t tell How big they were?

If you hold them in high standings then maybe I’ll check them out 🤔
ahh ok that should be fine!

But if it's the only one you have, I highly recommend you keep the probe where he sleeps. That's the big thing that needs to show high humidity at night.

During the day, the humidity at the top of the enclosure should drop into the 40s-50s (mine gets down to the 30s and thats been totally fine).

Remember: The real deal with humidity for these chameleons isn't quite the actual numbers. It's that they get lower on the TOP area of the enclosure during the day (higher as you go down), and then where he sleeps, specifically, shoots up at least into the 80%+ range while he's sleeping. In that spot specifically.

If your humidity gauge is at the opposite end from where he sleeps....IMO, you're not getting an accurate reading of HIS humidity at night.

I'd get at least 2. One for where he sleeps and maybe one for where the top branches are. But honestly I don't even look at the 2 that are in different places anymore. I have a separate probe for his basking area that does temp/humidity so I check that once in a while. But IMO, what's most important is that sleeping area, to make sure your chameleon is being hydrated while sleeping.

ahh ok that should be fine!

But if it's the only one you have, I highly recommend you keep the probe where he sleeps. That's the big thing that needs to show high humidity at night.

During the day, the humidity at the top of the enclosure should drop into the 40s-50s (mine gets down to the 30s and thats been totally fine).

Remember: The real deal with humidity for these chameleons isn't quite the actual numbers. It's that they get lower on the TOP area of the enclosure during the day (higher as you go down), and then where he sleeps, specifically, shoots up at least into the 80%+ range while he's sleeping. In that spot specifically.

If your humidity gauge is at the opposite end from where he sleeps....IMO, you're not getting an accurate reading of HIS humidity at night.

I'd get at least 2. One for where he sleeps and maybe one for where the top branches are. But honestly I don't even look at the 2 that are in different places anymore. I have a separate probe for his basking area that does temp/humidity so I check that once in a while. But IMO, what's most important is that sleeping area, to make sure your chameleon is being hydrated while sleeping.
Alright! Thanks for the input! Luckily where I put it is near and at one of Nachitos favorite sleeping areas. She’s the kind of girl that isn’t consistent with where she sleeps. She usually cycles through 3-4 different spots. But guess that’s good for an argument for multiple probes.

How big would you say what you use are?

I also do still recommend you at least try a wireless sensor that RECORDS the data so you can see it the next day. Otherwise, you're just guessing unless you stay up all night or wake up throughout the night to check and you don't want to always do that I'm sure lol

I also do still recommend you at least try a wireless sensor that RECORDS the data so you can see it the next day. Otherwise, you're just guessing unless you stay up all night or wake up throughout the night to check and you don't want to always do that I'm sure lol
Fair fair XD
I’ll try out the pack of three that you suggested

Alright! Thanks for the input! Luckily where I put it is near and at one of Nachitos favorite sleeping areas. She’s the kind of girl that isn’t consistent with where she sleeps. She usually cycles through 3-4 different spots. But guess that’s good for an argument for multiple probes.

How big would you say what you use are?

ahhhh well I have a theory on WHY that may be the case. The ONLY time Spike has changed his sleeping spot, was when he didn't quite get as much humidity the night before. But when I made adjustments, he went right back to his normal sleeping spots. It's now been months since he's moved.

IMO -and this is TOTALLY my personal, crazy theory- one reason why she always moves, could be related to not high enough humidity at night. She might be trying to find a better place with higher humidity. So, if you get a sensor and can check the humidity of where she slept that night and see, you can figure this all out by making adjustments with your misting/fogging schedule (or add a fogger if you're not using one).

But please take this thought with a grain of salt. It's just my personal theory and she could have other reasons. Maybe she doesn't feel safe enough at night so she constantly moves? Or maybe it's just some minor personal preference. To me, it's all about hydration.

The sensors I use are I think 3" long and maybe 1/2" thick. They're kind of big. And Spike HATED them for a while. He would flare up and warn them by opening his mouth at them lol so I just found simple ways to put them under branches, kinda out of the way. I'll take pics later when I get home.

ahhhh well I have a theory on WHY that may be the case. The ONLY time Spike has changed his sleeping spot, was when he didn't quite get as much humidity the night before. But when I made adjustments, he went right back to his normal sleeping spots. It's now been months since he's moved.

IMO -and this is TOTALLY my personal, crazy theory- one reason why she always moves, could be related to not high enough humidity at night. She might be trying to find a better place with higher humidity. So, if you get a sensor and can check the humidity of where she slept that night and see, you can figure this all out by making adjustments with your misting/fogging schedule (or add a fogger if you're not using one).

But please take this thought with a grain of salt. It's just my personal theory and she could have other reasons. Maybe she doesn't feel safe enough at night so she constantly moves? Or maybe it's just some minor personal preference. To me, it's all about hydration.

The sensors I use are I think 3" long and maybe 1/2" thick. They're kind of big. And Spike HATED them for a while. He would flare up and warn them by opening his mouth at them lol so I just found simple ways to put them under branches, kinda out of the way. I'll take pics later when I get home.
Hmmm I wonder. One is smack dab in the middle of the enclosure, one is in the top back (her usual backing spot) and one is in the top front.
They are all pretty covered in plants. Well maybe figuring out the humidity will help 🤷‍♀️

Hmmm I wonder. One is smack dab in the middle of the enclosure, one is in the top back (her usual backing spot) and one is in the top front.
They are all pretty covered in plants. Well maybe figuring out the humidity will help 🤷‍♀️
Possibly. Keep in mind it could be something totally different lol This is just me, the way I think. Everyone's in a different situation (to a degree) though. Especially with humidity.

Spike usually sleeps in the back right section of his enclosure. I've noticed specifically, when Spike doesn't get the humidity he wants, the next night he will sleep RIGHT behind the huge pothos directly in the center of his enclosure. And ever since I truly nailed his humidity levels and kept it consistent, he has NOT moved at all. So a lot of speculation here. But I'm curious of your results! You'll have to let me know.

Thing is you really want to make sure hydration is good anyway. So you might as well try this at least to make sure humidity is good :)

Possibly. Keep in mind it could be something totally different lol This is just me, the way I think. Everyone's in a different situation (to a degree) though. Especially with humidity.

Spike usually sleeps in the back right section of his enclosure. I've noticed specifically, when Spike doesn't get the humidity he wants, the next night he will sleep RIGHT behind the huge pothos directly in the center of his enclosure. And ever since I truly nailed his humidity levels and kept it consistent, he has NOT moved at all. So a lot of speculation here. But I'm curious of your results! You'll have to let me know.

Thing is you really want to make sure hydration is good anyway. So you might as well try this at least to make sure humidity is good :)
I can happily let you know that her hydration is awesome and her poops look amazing lol

I can happily let you know that her hydration is awesome and her poops look amazing lol
Then you're surely fine as is. I'm a weirdo when it comes to this lol but with that being said it has helped me because I had to make adjustments once winter started. And when I was first getting started it really helped me get the hydration down.

But if the poop/urates good, it's good!

Ok this is how I'm doing it. The other sensors are elsewhere in the enclosure. As you can see it's placed a little under where he sleeps. Few inches or so.

20240215_162952.jpg

Where are your readers at? (Pic please) Is she in a hybrid?
Ya she’s in a hybrid (bought it specifically because Colorado’s humidity sucks :/ )

We are jusssst below needed humidity rage for the day at 28%.

Also I can’t remember but for night time humidity need to be 80-100% or am I remembering that wrong
IMG_3403.jpeg

Got it. I’m in Utah and I think our humidity levels are similar. And you are right 30-40% during the day and 80-100% at night. Just keep in mind that our fog machines aren’t super effective so it’s really hard (at least for me) to even get to 80% some seasons.

So long as your girl is hydrated I wouldn’t worry a ton about 28% humidity. If it goes below that I would adjust things though.

This is what helps me:
Mist 3 min AM
If humidity is too low, add 1-2 min mist in the middle of the day
Mist 3 min pm
Mist 3 min 9 pm
Fog straight from 12-6 am
Mist 2 min 12 am

I have also installed drippers when humidity is low and watered plants that are dry.

Got it. I’m in Utah and I think our humidity levels are similar. And you are right 30-40% during the day and 80-100% at night. Just keep in mind that our fog machines aren’t super effective so it’s really hard (at least for me) to even get to 80% some seasons.

So long as your girl is hydrated I wouldn’t worry a ton about 28% humidity. If it goes below that I would adjust things though.

This is what helps me:
Mist 3 min AM
If humidity is too low, add 1-2 min mist in the middle of the day
Mist 3 min pm
Mist 3 min 9 pm
Fog straight from 12-6 am
Mist 2 min 12 am

I have also installed drippers when humidity is low and watered plants that are dry.
Thanks @elizaann2

Well got the device, still abit low on humidity. What do you do when yours do/did drop below desired levels?

So, this has been happening the past few days for me. What I've been doing is adding extra misting sessions, and I've also closed the vent that's above my chameleons enclosure. Still heats up just fine in the morning (basking light is also there for heat anyway), but at night it is allowing his enclosure to get cooler and not have his humidity sucked out.

Last night his humidity was in the 50s. So I added a 2 min misting session at 10pm. That brought it up to the 60s. That started going back down to the 50s but then at 1am he gets 2 mins of a misting session paired with his fog and that actually brought the levels straight up into the 80s-90s and it stayed that way all night.

Back
Top Bottom