Howdy!

spork3127

Well, the title says it. Howdy from north Ga! New member, not yet an owner, but have wanted a chameleon for quite some time now. Over the years, I've had a little bit of everything reptile and amphibian wise.....snakes, frogs, iguanas, turtles, and currently have a Leopard Gecko that's working on 14 years old. I've also had your typical cats, dogs, etc. and your not so typical pets like sugar gliders. Gliders are just neat!

Even though I'd love to bring one home yesterday, I'm not in a huge hurry to make it happen as I still have plenty of reading and research to do. I'm hoping to have everything set up, finalized, and a chameleon in hand within the next 6 months. I've been lurking in several threads about drainage set ups, enclosures, etc. so I thought I'd make things official and join the boards.

I'm pretty set on a Panther as my choice and it appears that there are quite a few variations. I did have a few questions as far as items and purchases go. If someone could direct me to the correct place to read up on them that would be awesome as I continue to navigate the site. I also won't object to anyone that feels they can answer. :D They're mostly clarifying a few things that I haven't yet.

1. Misting. Is it best to have an automated mister such as an AquaZamp, Mistking, Exo-Terra Monsoon, or a spray bottle? And is there a certain misting system that is better for Panthers? Also, the enclosure will likely be near a sheet rock wall. What's the best way to prevent the misting from saturating the wall and surrounding area?

2. Drippers. My understanding is that drippers are primarily for drinking purposes. Would a misting system accomplish the same thing or would a dripper still be required?

3. Drainage. I've seen so many different options posted on here. Some homemade, some purchased, etc. Is there a preferred method? I'm planning on purchasing a ReptiBreeze as the enclosure.

4. Male/Female. Does it really matter? This would likely be my one and only chameleon with no intention of breeding. Fully mature, are colors just as vivid regardless of the sex?

5. Purchasing a Chameleon. The one local pet store is, simply put, ran by an idiot. Turnover there is like changing your underwear and I don't feel comfortable having them order something for me, especially a chameleon that requires such special care. I've considered the Repticon show as it comes to Atlanta, Ga 3 times over the next 6 months or so. Would a show like this be a good option? I know that live shipping is available, but have never went that route and with the winter months coming up, I'd hate for the little guy/girl to deal with the weather during transport, etc.

Thanks for any input or directive of where I can answer these questions.

Well, the title says it. Howdy from north Ga! New member, not yet an owner, but have wanted a chameleon for quite some time now. Over the years, I've had a little bit of everything reptile and amphibian wise.....snakes, frogs, iguanas, turtles, and currently have a Leopard Gecko that's working on 14 years old. I've also had your typical cats, dogs, etc. and your not so typical pets like sugar gliders. Gliders are just neat!

Even though I'd love to bring one home yesterday, I'm not in a huge hurry to make it happen as I still have plenty of reading and research to do. I'm hoping to have everything set up, finalized, and a chameleon in hand within the next 6 months. I've been lurking in several threads about drainage set ups, enclosures, etc. so I thought I'd make things official and join the boards.

I'm pretty set on a Panther as my choice and it appears that there are quite a few variations. I did have a few questions as far as items and purchases go. If someone could direct me to the correct place to read up on them that would be awesome as I continue to navigate the site. I also won't object to anyone that feels they can answer. :D They're mostly clarifying a few things that I haven't yet.

1. Misting. Is it best to have an automated mister such as an AquaZamp, Mistking, Exo-Terra Monsoon, or a spray bottle? And is there a certain misting system that is better for Panthers? Also, the enclosure will likely be near a sheet rock wall. What's the best way to prevent the misting from saturating the wall and surrounding area?

2. Drippers. My understanding is that drippers are primarily for drinking purposes. Would a misting system accomplish the same thing or would a dripper still be required?

3. Drainage. I've seen so many different options posted on here. Some homemade, some purchased, etc. Is there a preferred method? I'm planning on purchasing a ReptiBreeze as the enclosure.

4. Male/Female. Does it really matter? This would likely be my one and only chameleon with no intention of breeding. Fully mature, are colors just as vivid regardless of the sex?

5. Purchasing a Chameleon. The one local pet store is, simply put, ran by an idiot. Turnover there is like changing your underwear and I don't feel comfortable having them order something for me, especially a chameleon that requires such special care. I've considered the Repticon show as it comes to Atlanta, Ga 3 times over the next 6 months or so. Would a show like this be a good option? I know that live shipping is available, but have never went that route and with the winter months coming up, I'd hate for the little guy/girl to deal with the weather during transport, etc.

First let me say welcome to our little forum.
I will try to answer you questions the best I can. I'm sure if I miss anything others will point it out. It's nice to see you are doing your research.

1. Misting well IMO it may cost a little at first but an automated misting system can't be beat. They do the job better, and you will find it makes your life much easier especially if you work. I have a Mistking and I love it don't know how I done without it actually.

2.Drippers well this depend on your cham. But most times it is not necessary if you have a misting system they get plenty of water off the leaves after it sprays. But if you decide to hand spray, and you work I would use a dripper.

3.Drainage well most wouldn't approve of my way of handling this issue so I'll leave this to one of them. Not that my way is wrong per say just controversial.

4. Ok let me start out by saying females are great they tend to have better dispositions than males. That being said I would recommend you get a male. The Panther males have a lot more color than the females. They can live two to three times longer than the females. You don't have to worry about him laying eggs, and becoming egg bound. And males usually has less vet visits at least that been my experience.

5. I think your expo would be an ok place to look just make sure it's captive bred which shouldn't be much of an issue with panthers. It's just captive bred are usually easier to care for and have a lot less issues with parasite infestation. If you do decide to purchase one through the male there are some great vendors and people here on this site who could hook you up.:)

Sounds like you are on a great path. My drainage is a little different from others on here, but it works really well for me. I have my screened 2x2x4' cage and bought a plastic utility sink from Home Depot. It sits on 4 legs that you snap in, and has a hole for drainage in the bottom. I zip-tied the cage to the sink after drilling some small holes in the sink lip to thread the zip ties through. The size fits perfectly. Then, in the bottom of the sink I put a piece of screen over the hole so that water can drip through but feeders can't get down and escape. I put my potted plants directly on the bottom of the sink - with this method I turn my 4' cage into about 6' of usable space. I then place a bucket under the hole in the bottom and drainage issue is solved.

Personally I've had 2 male panthers and 1 female. One of the males was feisty (but he was my first and I was petrified of stressing him out so a big part of that was my fault.) The female wasn't a huge fan of me, but my current male is a total love bug. It really all depends on the bloodlines and how they were raised, plus how much time you devote to them.

As for whether or not to purchase from a show let me say I've never done that, but I've attended plenty of shows down here in FL. Some are great but I've seen a TON of stressed out chams that are crammed together in a small cage, sometimes with different species in 1 cage. I'd recommend getting one shipped to you from one of the breeders on here (either a sponsor or private breeder). You'll have a healthier cham (at least you should), and the shipping is really not a big deal. I've had 3 of my 5 shipped to me and I didn't have a single issue.

Good luck, do your homework, and keep asking questions!

To weed out some less-than-stellar vendors maybe check this forum's sponsor webpages to see if any of them plan to attend the Atlanta show. You could shop ahead of time and even contact them about what you think you want. Maybe simply take delivery of a cham you've picked out. I have never attended a Repticon show but hear that the same few large scale producers tend to be there but not many of the smaller more specialized breeders. You may see "flipped" animals, stressed out imports, or only the less expensive species such as veileds. Not that a veiled wouldn't be a good beginner choice, as they are forgiving and have great coloration.

I'd also suggest checking the Fauna Classifieds for opinions on Repticon shows, plus check the vendor ads for chameleons. Some vendors announce which shows they attend.

First, thanks for the replies. Gathering info is definitely a good thing!

Well, after planning on taking my time to get things organized for a chameleon, things escalated fairly quickly. I went to the local pet store that I wasn't a fan of ordering through on Friday night to get crickets for my leopard gecko. I noticed that they had Veiled Chameleon "kit" with a young male Veiled that had arrived earlier in the day, medium sized reptibreeze enclosure, grapewood, and several vines. I checked things out and debated about it. I went back earlier today and the little fella seems quite friendly as he climbed right onto the associate's hand and, after about 30 seconds, onto mine where he explored most of my hand. That's all it took.

He'll be coming home on Wednesday as I need to get a few things ready for him, but picked up a pothos that I'll be replanting tomorrow, a metal shelving system to house the enclosure and pan underneath for drainage, and ordered a MistKing system. They're currently misting him with a misting bottle, but he should be much happier in a few days. Now to come up with a name!

Well it looks like a decision has been made already! lol Welcome to the forums and the "addiction"! You will see what I mean!:D Please ask as many questions as you can. We all started out the same way and knew nothing in the beginning! We are here to help!

Back
Top Bottom