How to get your chameleon used to you?

I think it’s also important to ask yourself why you want to handle your chameleon. Most chameleons are totally content in their enclosure being left alone. Obviously there are times where you need to handle your cham such as taking them to the vet. But many times people see videos of people handling their cham like their BFFs and expect the same thing, but that’s not the reality. I handle my chams for approximately all of 15 seconds to get them from their enclosure onto their free range plants. Just something to keep in mind as I want you to have realistic expectations.

Anyways, here are my tips for gaining trust:

thx I just want to be able to handle her to take her for a check up at the vet since I just got her.

Whats the best way to lifted them out without stressing them.
Well, there's stress, and and then there's !!! STRESS !!! ?
I think the idea is to gently pick them up matter-of-factly without undue drama,
rather than yanking them out screaming, "C'MERE YOU!" (if you catch my drift).

Control your emotions as best you can—no fear or apprehension—just like you've been doing it right along (but watch your fingers!) :)

picking up a chameleon

I take my cham out and then it goes from couch to floor and hisses and opens mouth when I want him back in cage. I finally get him on arm and we are OK for a few minutes.

The very simple answer is food. This is about the only good thing they can relate to you. They do not know all the work you do for them, only that you feed them.
Do not over feed Only a few insects every other day or so, adjusting for animal and insect size of course and assuming adult. babies and juveniles way more food.

The idea is to be the only source of food. You can use a hand held cup. Start by only giving food in the cup while you are preset. Be patient just sit and watch. As he/she is comfortable coming to the cup with you there start holding the cup for them to eat out of. Do not expect it over night and let them choose their comfort level. But if you always move slow and controlled and are always the place to get food, it will happen before you know it.
This is for chams over about 6 months. They can go a day or three without food so don't worry they will come.

Don't do this with very young that are still growing. Make sure they just get all the food they can.

Well, there's stress, and and then there's !!! STRESS !!! ?
I think the idea is to gently pick them up matter-of-factly without undue drama,
rather than yanking them out screaming, "C'MERE YOU!" (if you catch my drift).

Control your emotions as best you can—no fear or apprehension—just like you've been doing it right along (but watch your fingers!) :)

picking up a chameleon
Thank you, at the moment I wait till he is on his plant so I can take it out and get him and once he is on me he seems very happy (very bright green with blue spots) so I think he's starting to trust me.

Back
Top Bottom