How to get your chameleon used to you?

thx I have tried but so far she hides when I open cage I will try again.
Yeah you just have to keep trying over and over and over. Don’t put it up in her face though, so you don’t totally stress her out. Let her come to you.

with my veiled, he used to run when I opened the door, now not so much. So she probably just needs time to get used to you.

I have been trying this but using tongs, but every time I go near him he starts to hiss and me am I doing something wrong.

Honestly, I just lifted all my chameleons out gently, don't have time to slowly coax them onto my hand. I've done that in the past and it does work, but I had a grumpy panther that was a people person within a week of lifting him out and putting him into a sunny basking spot outside. Almost instantly associated me with outside time and never bit at me again. Not saying it works on all chams, but with the 5 I've had, I've had success with it

Honestly, I just lifted all my chameleons out gently, don't have time to slowly coax them onto my hand. I've done that in the past and it does work, but I had a grumpy panther that was a people person within a week of lifting him out and putting him into a sunny basking spot outside. Almost instantly associated me with outside time and never bit at me again. Not saying it works on all chams, but with the 5 I've had, I've had success with it
Whats the best way to lifted them out without stressing them.

Ok I will try that with the wax worm I have, is it best to hold the bug with my finger Nd thumb or is it best just to place it on the palm of my hand.
Well you can do either, it depends on the bug and also you’re preference. I would recommend hold it between two fingers, then the bug won’t crawl off your hand. But don’t hold it too tight so the chameleon can’t grab it

Well you can do either, it depends on the bug and also you’re preference. I would recommend hold it between two fingers, then the bug won’t crawl off your hand. But don’t hold it too tight so the chameleon can’t grab it
I will give that a go tomorrow after work, may I ask why not use tongs.

Ok I will try that with the wax worm I have, is it best to hold the bug with my finger Nd thumb or is it best just to place it on the palm of my hand.
Dont know how long you have had your cham but sometimes it takes a long time and alot of patience to gain trust. You will have better luck if you move at thier pace and don't force the issue. If cham won't step up voluntarily; I get them used to hand feeding out of a flat palm first and once comfortable with that then gently slide your hand under thier chin to the front feet. They should step up onto your hand with thier front feet and then start to raise your hand slowly upwards and the back feet should follow.
This seems to work well but takes time as @jamest0o0 has noted and I also have used his method of simply lifting. All depends on the cham but gaining the trust is the biggest step before moving on. I'm sure others have thier favorite methods and would be glad to share. Good luck

I think it’s also important to ask yourself why you want to handle your chameleon. Most chameleons are totally content in their enclosure being left alone. Obviously there are times where you need to handle your cham such as taking them to the vet. But many times people see videos of people handling their cham like their BFFs and expect the same thing, but that’s not the reality. I handle my chams for approximately all of 15 seconds to get them from their enclosure onto their free range plants. Just something to keep in mind as I want you to have realistic expectations.

Anyways, here are my tips for gaining trust:

Back
Top Bottom