How to Get Chameleon out of Cage?

Valcakey

I've just made a veterinary appointment for my female veiled, who I've had for a year. My big concern is how I'm going to get her out of her cage without causing her loads of stress. I've never been able to hold her or even touch her. She has a very aggressive/cautious personality and she often feels threatened by things like me walking past her cage too quickly or opening up the door to do some spot cleaning. Pretty much if any of me is in her cage, her territory is being threatened.

Often, I'm met with puffing up and hissing, but sometimes if I catch her at a bad time, she'll darken in color and even start swiping at me.

When I first got her at 6 months old, I tried everyday that I had free opening up the cage and just sitting on the floor underneath to do my school work in an attempt to gain trust/allow her to observe me not hurting her, but no progress was made.

I posted the same thing with not one response either. I think the best thing to do is get him on a stick and pull him out.. the only way that seems to work for me. Usually my Jackson's runs from me so if I can get a stick behind him quick he walks on it and I pull him out quickly.. good luck!!

I posted the same thing with not one response either. I think the best thing to do is get him on a stick and pull him out.. the only way that seems to work for me. Usually my Jackson's runs from me so if I can get a stick behind him quick he walks on it and I pull him out quickly.. good luck!!

You're a lifesaver, my friend. Thank you. Hopefully she doesn't end up resenting me for it.

You could keep her totally in the dark until it's time to leave so she's stays asleep. Then when you're ready just move quickly and confidently (doesn't mean don't be careful) and just pick her up from her sleep and into a transport container.

Stress for them has more to do with exposure than the actual activity. Making it quick and painless while she's not very alert is better than fighting with her for minutes to get her out. The car ride is going to agitate her no matter what so don't pay to much mind to the unavoidable fact that they don't ever like vet visits.

You could keep her totally in the dark until it's time to leave so she's stays asleep. Then when you're ready just move quickly and confidently (doesn't mean don't be careful) and just pick her up from her sleep and into a transport container.

Stress for them has more to do with exposure than the actual activity. Making it quick and painless while she's not very alert is better than fighting with her for minutes to get her out. The car ride is going to agitate her no matter what so don't pay to much mind to the unavoidable fact that they don't ever like vet visits.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with that! There was one night I waited until she was asleep to fix a fallen vine. I ever so slightly brushed against her and she even puffed up subconsciously

I personally wouldn't go for the surprise attack..lol. you could also get a thick piece of wire and bend it in a L shape and that would help get it behind him. I've used the stick but It's gets a little to close for comfort and he heads left instead. With the L shape you can sneak it around him without getting the stick to close. Even a coat hanger would work if you have a small cham. I'm not sure what you have for vines but the ones you can bend work to..

Use a stick to get her out. Assume she is going to huff, puff, and try to bite you. But that is okay, as long as you aren't dragging the process out. The quicker you get her out, the better for both of you. Once she is out of the cage, she should calm down a bit.

If you're afraid of getting bit, which can hurt, wear work gloves so you won't feel anything.

Good luck! Hope she does well.

You could hang a detachable perch to her cage and then try little her come out on to it a lot before the appointment. So that way by far he Day of the app she'll be used to being on it, then boom unattach it and head for the vet.

My tool of choice is a paint can stirring stick / shim, or maybe two of them if the cham is feeling super pissy. It's good that you don't force handling on your girl, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Back
Top Bottom